It is going to be an interesting Worlds week

Horton

• Baller
Competition is definitely important, but consistent conditions that allow the skiers to perform at their best is also important. Between this site and Paris in 2017, the Worlds have been degraded to skiing conditions that would be unacceptable at any local tournament. Going back to '15 when we had a last-minute site change- from Italy to Mexico, as I recall, it's been a while since the Worlds have been anything but a laughingstock. At least in '15 the skiers got good skiing conditions, but the number of spectators there was minute. Time to bring them back to the US or Canada- maybe Okeeheelee? Robin Lake? Heck, any of the old Pro Tour sites...

• Baller
I agree it would be nice to have consistent conditions for all and that you want to make sure the conditions are safe. My primary point is that scores are not the be all end all; that I am not interested in merely watching events with the highest scores but those with the best competition with good spectator access. I don't know, but although a great event, Moomba conditions are not necessarily great and not always consistent as an example.

• Administrators
@John Brooks my understanding is that this site makes Moomba look like a sheet of glass. IF the conditions were reasonable and it was the same for everyone I guess it might be ok but I understand the conditions can be radically different minute by minute.

• Baller

I pulled the score books back to 2007 for the site

Mens Lake Records

Slalom: Nick Parsons - 2.5@39

Trick: Aliaksei Zharnasek - 11,470

Jump: Freddy Krueger - 226'/69m

Womens Lake Records

Slalom: April Coble Eller - 2@38

Trick: Marion Aynaud - 8,310

Jump: June Fladborg - 159'/48.7m

• Baller
WORLDS, the supposed epitome of our sport...what world championship (any sport) event is held in sub par conditions? EVERY other sport strives to attain a world championship event that will allow it's athletes to perform at their highest level without outside interference (of any nature). Some skiers have forgone other events (ex.PanAms) to prepare and be at their peak for Worlds, and instead of giving them the ability to showcase their talents fully we stifle them.

• Baller
From what I understand, there are other boats out on the water, there has been no attempt to curtail their activities, so it could well get rolly for some unfortunate to enter the course at the wrong time, it,s going to be tough, I have been told that Freddie Winter was back in good old blighty (England for you Guy,s and Gals in the USA) training in the worst conditions he could find, not difficult because we have had plenty of strong wind and rain, not a brilliant summer.

• Baller
The site looks nice and the surrounding area looks gorgeous and the northwest leg of the lake, where one of the jumps is located looks pretty well-protected, but if they're skiing on the main part of the lake, by the stands and the wind is up- yikes. The lake records show that big scores can be accomplished there, but a world championship site should be at least comparable to a typical local site. I have no doubt that they can keep other boats away, but without wind protection, conditions could be pretty awful.

• Administrators

A little birdy told me ferries may be crossing the lake as normal.

The fact that the other slalom courses are named "Monkey", "Godzilla" and "Godzilla 2" tells me everything I need to know.

• Baller

Every time I see footage from past comps on this lake I just wince..

Not matter how calm the weather seems, big lakes are normally a little deeper and thus always have an element of swell and changeable water conditions minute by minute. One for the heavier, experienced or European skier? Would love to know how they plan to combat the conditions - fin, bindings, soft knees or bigger skis!?

• Administrators

• Members
I like combat skiing competitions. I watched the videos posted by @whitem71 and have to say I enjoyed that more than watching everyone get 2-4 at 41 on a pristine site, just as I enjoyed watching ‘80s skiing more than I enjoy watching skiing now. We won’t see a world record, but that is ok. I truly hope the conditions are even, for that is important for fairness. May the best and toughest skiers win.

• Baller

Those clips look like they are from some of the various courses on the open water. Teams practicing in the absolute worst conditions to prepare. The actual event course and site familiarization is in front of the grandstand with significant improvements. Correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.nst.com.my/sports/others/2019/08/508860/calming-waters-putrajaya-battles?fbclid=IwAR0ndLPi9dgys0q4PF3wIP1yx-GD5lEFHSvQx8hkyvJVNPpeBtmvp9jTn-4

• Administrators
@nikandsteve the video of Fred at the top of this thread is from the event site. In the video is sort looks not too bad but skiers on site say it is super bad.

• Administrators
@Yeaitsslo Hot as balls, sunny, humid, and sunlight reflecting off the water. Everyone is going to get fried if they do not pay attention.

• Baller

@Horton that article cracks me up.

"The only setback, if any, is that the water condition there is not the best as the water tends to get rough and choppy from the winds, and also due to the backwash coming back to the ski course after each pass of the tow boat at the stadium site."

Imagine ...

"The stadium is an amazing world class infrastructure facility for Baseball. The only downside is the shards of glass around the bases and occasional one foot deep potholes in the outfield."

:D