CG fin

TEL

• Baller
I know I am late to trying one. The Adam’s were out of stock but was able to buy a new fin from @ToddA he had bought two and was willing to part with one. Thanks Todd. After reading the 25 plus pages about the CG fin and advice from Todd and @Ed-Johnson. So Sunday after running a set Saturday and Sunday Morning making all of my 28 off’s. I put on the CG fin set to the same numbers as my stock fin minus 1 degree now 6 degrees. Went out at 22 off I was a little early to each buoy, 28 off I felt wide and a little early with very little slack line. This year is the first year after lessons that I am making 28 consistently. So now 32 off once this year I made it around 4 ball and four times around 3 ball most of the time I get around 1 or 2 ball. So the CG fin pass I got around 3 ball and inside 4 ball not bad for the first set One of my ski buds said it has potential and I have to agree. Even though I was a little wide and early for my 22 and 28 off’s it did feel a little slow weird I know. This morning I tried 5 degrees 22 off felt fast and early, 28 off felt faster and early but I need to apply more pressure to the front of Ski coming into the buoy but with very little slack line when I do. I’ll leave it there and see how it goes. I do notice the ski feels very stable everywhere even more so in the glide not that was a problem before but very noticeable now. So here are my numbers for my NRG 66” boot 29.5”, 6.935, 2.463, .755. Suggestions welcome please

• Baller

@TEL We are finding that most people like it .010” forward, shorter, and deeper than their original settings, with either this same wing angle or 1 degree less.

If that feels better you might keep going that way with the fin to see how much you can improve the setup.

• Baller
So moved every thing .010 as @AdamCord said to try and going between 6 and 7 degrees did not work had to work really hard to make my 28's. Went back to my original #'s and 7 degrees felt much better but breaking at the waist on my off side

• Baller
Thanks, @AdamCord will do. Even breaking at the waist on my offside it's faster through the wakes. I am able to gather myself to keep making buoys and running up to to my PB. I have high expectations when I get my off side dialed in.

• Baller
I moved my fin forward .010 and put on a Schnitz mini wing at 7 degrees. My off side is great, think I will leave it there for a while. Two smooth 22's, 28's and ran two passes back to back just inside of 4 ball at 32 off that's consistency. 32 is going down this year I can feel it Thanks @AdamCord

• Baller

Has anyone got an opininon on my thought:

On the HO Pro my favourite CG fin setting was 10/1000 forward compared to my regular fin setting (and forward compared to the factory setting of the ski).

When switching to the HO Alpha I mistakenly set the fin using a smaller DFT measurement (and shorter and deeper) compared to the factory setting - and it worked great.

After realizing my "error" I tried several settings with the fin further forward but could not find a solution.

Does this mean that I need to put the binding forward in conjunction with a bigger DFT in order to get the most out of the fin according to Adam's advices?

• Baller
I suspect that "passenger" turning skiers and "pilot" turning skiers have different definitions of "feels right". What I mean is that skiers who let the ski do the work to finish the turn probably like different setups than skiers who are more active on the ski during or at the finish of the turn.

• Baller
My experiment with the CG fin has ended for the year. After several weeks trying different setting mostly moving the fin forward and different wings and angles I decided to shelf the fin. I do believe there is a lot of potential, it is faster I just never felt my turns were working for me. No setting ever did any thing weird or caused a crash. Moving the fin forward lessened the slack till it overturned. I went back to the stock fin and my settings, just felt more comfortable. I do want to play with next year I just want to finish the year out skiing not tuning.

• Baller
@Buxrus not ready to give it up yet, next year I will find someone around here that is familiar with setting one up. I would say buy one and try it out, I skied okay on it. I am a beginner tuner with the stock fin you know what works and what doesn't. Not so with this fin everything I tried kinda worked. Just did not up my PB

• Baller

I just ordered a 2nd LFF for my wife. She needs to try a new ski and by having a 2nd fin I can put it on a new ski without having to change out her existing fin and set up. I know I can easily resell it afterwards.

Cheers

Ali

• Baller
On a twist Mid I ended up a little shorter and deeper than stock (6.800 2.486 .740 29.125 vs stock at 6.820 2.445). Stable, turns quickly, fast enough and symmetrical. Interesting thing is it's virtually impossible to blow out the tail, yet my number of releases from stuffing the tip on the offside is pretty close to zero even when jamming a late turn. Pretty sweet! The XTR alternative settings look similar and may have similar results?