How’s your season going?

dnewton

• Baller

Hello there,

Due to a lack of skiing discussions I am getting rather bored. I would love to hear about everyone’s season. Is it going well? If so, what do you think caused the great season? If it wasn’t so great what were the reasons? Did you find a new place to ski, or were you able to get more water time? Did you find a new ski you absolutely love? Just lay out all the juicy details of your season for me! I guess I’ll start!

-up to 130 sets this year, last year was 112. Overly excited, but not ready for the season to come to an end.

-found an additional lake to ski at with great wind protection, so that has been awesome. Also put a floating course in at my home lake and it seems to be working well.

-started course skiing behind my 14’ prostar after owning it for a year and only freeskiing it. Absolutely love the boat and with 700 hours now seems to have a lot of life left in it.

-switched to a reflex this season. Absolutely love it. I feel safe and just enjoy every aspect of the set up.

-upgraded a 16’ vapor lithium to an 18” vapor pro build. I believe I practice PB’d first time out on it. One month in I kinda went through a slump, but now that I’ve been on it for 3 months I don’t think I could ask for anymore out of the ski.

-first year really trying to ski tournaments and man are they fun. I only competed in one “one rounder” and skied right up to my pb so was overly happy with that. I believe I improved my tournament pb by 6 buoys from last year. Felt like I became more apart of our local ski community due to my tournament attendance. Really hoping to ski at regionals and nationals next year if my schedule allows for it.

-it has been a blast watching some new ideas and theories come out to the market this year with skis and fins. Would love to try them all just for fun.

-finally broke through the -28 barrier and having some luck at 32. I would love to start crushing 32s next year, but I believe that is a tall ask.

It has been a great season and I am ready to get some offseason coaching for more things to work on next year. I would love to hear any kind of feedback from all of you guys! I hope you guys have a great rest of the season!

• Baller

Having a great season

Tournament #10 this weekend

Got lessons from Freddy winter Brooks Rossi’s Terry Winter. Skied at Radar lake

New tournament pb

Made a bunch of new friends who put a big smile on my face

Broke a ski got a new ski

Still hate zero off

Ate some tacos and drank some beer

I just hope I can roll it into next year

• Baller

Skiing probably the most in my life, usually at least 3 sets a week, sometimes 4 or 5.

Several sets behind 3 different ZO boats and 2 different Stargazer boats besides my main boat (stargazer).

Finally got around 4 ball @ 28 off (34 mph) a couple of times.

Been working on getting around 1 ball without slack as that seems to be what trips up my whole pass. I try to think about applying more lean between the wakes, not letting go of the handle too soon, and trying to think of my 'glide' at 1 ball and my 1 ball turn as two different things.

• Baller_

It wasn't a good season for me. Consistency was an issue. Last year, I ran 34/-32 in practice about 10 times. This year, just once in practice. I also started to miss 34/-28 quite a bit in tournaments late in the season. I skied 14 tournaments. I did not break my Rico 36 mph PB in a tournament - only got to within one of that. I still have not qualified for Nationals.

There were a couple bright spots:

1. Ran 34/-32 in a tournament for the first time.

2. Competed in my first L tournaments ever and got a world ranking.

3. I did not get injured (and we are almost done here).

4. My average was the highest it has ever been.

Looking forward to next year.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@jimski that sounds like a lot of fun this season!!

@lpskier 300 sets?!? That is a ton. I’m exhausted after 130.

@Lars I fought and am still fighting 28s a bit. I feel like my problem was too much speed into the balls. I struggle understanding and comprehending a good edge change. Was really good at making a bunch of slack.

• Baller

Pretty depressing for me. Between taking a new job and traveling a bunch I have put 18 hours on my boat this year, down from 112 last year. The weather has been not helpful either as we're either getting rain or wind and rarely a nice day. I did however get a new course installed and it is been trouble free compared to the old course, so that is a plus. More time skiing and less time fiddling with the course.

Thankfully my average hasn't suffered too much gotten into -35 a few times, so at least the season doesn't feel like a total waste. I attribute that to ZO. My consistency has gone WAY up since getting ZO.

Off to winterize a buddies boat Saturday, hoping to get a few more sets in before I call it quits on my boat. We'll see if the weather wants to cooperate.

• Baller

Great season and still water skipping after work each day.

No injuries, no back issues thanks to Pilates and Circuit training, and I even attained a new personal best in our course after some tips from Nate S. this summer.

Best of all, my old boat is still running like new with 900 hours and my four legged buddy always knows it's time to go when I get home.

When the weather finally turns for the worse, I'll head to my buddy's place in Ft. Myers and get some sets in at Eden.

All in all, a great year.

• Baller
@2Valve Thats great and your 4 legged buddy is a special person in the boat.He sounds like my dog who loves the boat.It has been a great season for me I would guess I am pushing 150 ski runs this season and still skiing in MN with cooler water and air temps.Like @BrennanKMN stated the weather in MN has not been good for skiing.Keep skiing!!!

• Baller

Unfortunately I have shut it down for the year with a mild back flare up. While I wasn't setting any PBs this year I did ski more than I have in about 4 years. I was skiing the course at 30 mph and 22 off but got to ski 2-3 days a week for a good chunk of the summer and just loved being out on the water with my ski buddies.

It is almost October when the weather turns so I am focused on trying to get my back right and strong this off season so hopefully I can get back to 34 mph next year.

• Baller

Great, thanks for asking! I don't post often but I'm really stoked as I set two different practice PBs this week!

I'm a mid-60s, 32 mph skier who has struggled at 15/22 off with multiple injuries over the past two years. Earlier this summer Mat Rini suggested that I upgrade my ski and set some goals. I'm now on the Senate Pro and started skiing more often with @ScottScott who has been great! I can't say I'm skiing more but skiing with more focus and also trying to ski a set with Matt every week or so. Over the last week I have started to get consistent at -28 and then set a new practice PB of 3 @ -32, followed a few days later by turning 5 ball at -32 (lost the handle on the way to 6 ball).

-32 is going down soon and I can honestly say that in 40+ years of skiing this is my best season so far!!!

• Baller_

Hurricane, homeless, loss of business I have become a ski gypsy!

Had a great visit to Montana, Rosewater and no wake lake.

Finally got into a rental house while new house is being built.

Did a lot of tournaments this season really nice sleeping in a comfortable hotel room from time to time.

Watch my daughter win her first national waterski championship.

Team Seal made into a local magazine!9fnv88dphq7a.jpg

My scores ? Meh! Looking forward to 2020!

• Baller_

@dnewton I give the durability credit to my trainer Carl Percival/PPT Strength Transformers here in Orlando. He runs a gym that’s less than a mile from LaPoint Ski Park. I go twice a week for sessions that run about three hours each, although an hour is much more common. He trains (or has trained) a lot of familiar names in the sport, such as Andy (for twenty years), Jen LaPoint, Freddie and Karen, Scot and Marion, CP, Camille and Sammy, Igor, etc. He knows skiers and what we need.

If you live near Otown, you should check him out. If you are visiting, it’s worth booking a couple sessions to know what to be working on at home. Spoiler alert: Dead lifts.

If anyone wants his contact info, PM me.

Lpskier

3 season on skis (combo or slalom). 130~ish sets.

Started year making 50% of 32mph, 15 off. Ended making 50% of 34mph, 28 off. A WHOLE lot of inconsistency, awful skiing, and ups and downs in between.

Every time I started to focus on chasing buoys, I'd ski like garbage. Every time I'd start to focus on chasing body position, I'd ski well and the buoys would come. But yet ... I mostly focused on chasing buoys. It's engrained in the ski culture (driver always goes to shorten the rope the second you run a pass). Next year, I'm sticking to the @twhisper mantra more stubbornly, and keeping 75% of my passes at an "easy" length that I can really focus on form and technique, and taking video more often. Despite what my driver and spotter try to do with the rope.

Competed in my first tournament. Hadn't missed 34mph 15 off for a month before the tournament and was consistently getting into 28 or 32 ... but come tournament I got 2 at 32mph/15 my first attempt. And OTF'd going to 3 ball at 34/15 my second attempt. Despite it being a low key, just for fun tourney with just the locals I always ski with ... it taught me a thing or two about being more mentally prepared. Despite skiing terribly, it's given me the bug and I'll do it often next year.

8 yr old daughter got up on a slalom ski for first time. 5 yr old son got up on combos for the first time.

Super fun year. Weather in Alberta was sub par. But there was very few days I wasn't able to ski because of it. Already looking forward to next year (snow this weekend so we're done), and started training for it. Crossfit (2X per week), swimming (1X per week), Orange Theory (2X per week), yoga (as often as possible).

• Baller

I finally ran 32off @34 this summer. I've been working on completing the offside turn with good stack so I can run it consistently.

Season might be over a little early as I deal with golfers elbow. Overall, I'm happy with this year but fall came too quickly.

• Baller_
What everybody might not know is that the rope that @DaveD uses does not have any loops beyond 32 off. Time to get rid of the “rope of no hope”. Also, a new rope might help with that golfers elbow a little, rather than an old one with diminished stretch.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

first full year with a ski club great bunch of people have skied around 120 sets and hope to sneak a few more in before the cold hits I've been around all six at 15 off just not in the same pass it's so humbling started the year cracking my head open on the tip of my ski the first day out so lost 3 months with the brain thingy no free skiing this year and sadly never got my boat off its trailer looking forward to doing it all over again next year ( minus the brain thingy and no free skiing )

• Baller
I am hearing a lot of people trying to focus on technique, which I do as well. I have to admit after running a strong good pass. I have no clue exactly what all I did right. This sport is the weirdest thing I have ever done, but my gosh it is the absolute best. We did purchase a pylon camera mount, which was some good feedback this year. My brother and I started skiing together 3-4 years ago and it is an absolute blast to have a ski partner going after it just as hard.

• Baller
It's been a great season. If my calculations are correct I have skied around 144 sets. I went from not being able to run a full pass at 15 off to running the full pass consistently. I slowed the boat down to 24.9 and once I could do that have been speeding up. I can now run 15 off at 28.6 and have gotten 3 @ 30.4mph. I also decided to try 22 off. I can run that pass at 24.9 mph and have gotten 5@ 22 off at 26.7 mph. I had coaching sets with Seth Stisher twice and have been using my ski doc orbit to record my sets so I can see what I need to fix. @MISkier reviews my videos for me. :smile: I also joined the East Side Ski league and have improved my tournament scores from 3 points in a round to getting 50 points in a round. Last weekend in our last tournament here of the season I set a new PB by 1 buoy.

• Supporting Member

Bit of an odd season as my back held steady at about 80% all season. I kind of expected it to heal up or fail, but neither happened.

So I was having fun running -32 most of the time and skiing about 3 sets a week, which is one helluva lot better than being unable to ski! But then I got my hands on a c-75 and suddenly I've run -35 several times (and almost always go deep even in bad conditions) and sorta feel like -38 could be possible even at 80%! But I can still only tolerate about 3 sets per week.

This fall I hope to have some extra fun trying radical settings and/or proto Denali tech. Getting to try unbaked stuff, that may be amazing or totally suck, has become one of my favorite things! And even more so when my health doesn't let me push my PB.

But I'm also really looking forward to some future season at 100% and maybe dipping into -39 again? -- fingers crossed!

• Baller
My GF Started the Season skiing a few tournaments in the Grass Roots Division, she ended the year skiing in Women's 4 and setting a couple of PB's. She has caught the bug of tournament skiing. My year was schizophrenic but I did manage a couple of tournament scores close to my pb. Met a bunch of new people and reconnected with some old friends at the Jeff Hancock Memorial tournament in Prineville Oregon. Sad to see the season end as it appears winter is coming early to the PNW.

• Baller

Started season early when water was still freezing some days... Long sets on the trick ski. Slowly improved my tricks. No trick run yet but can perform trick worth 800p.

My body was more prepared when I started to slalom. After just 5 short sets I got my first complete 30@15off. Soon I got 6 back to back on 30 and season first 32.

Last week after 40 trick sets and 60 slalom I made first season set with two 32's.

During last 5 years I ski more and better 30, 31, 31.5 BUT fewer 32's.

Recently bumped up to 34. Get same 4@34 PB. Has been so for 7 years despite better skiing.

My turns seems to have improved at 32/34, I now more often complete the turn before the boie and hit the boie with my bindings.

We still have 4 to 6 weeks before the boat freeze and we have to stop skiing.

My goal is still a full 34 and more consistent 32's. Have had the same goal now for seven years. Seven years with 500 sl sets (100 full 32 passes. 100 sets with coaches. A lot of gym training) has not taken me closer to the goal...

Still happy, still hopefull 61 year young skier.

Soon -it will happend.

• Baller
Best part of the summer, watching my daughter set new PB's in slalom, jump and trick. Worse part of the summer, she beat me at one tournament (not really the worse thing, in fact i thought it was super cool). She had a great season and therefore so did I. I also significantly increased my trick score now that they changed to rules.

• Baller

Season has come to an abrupt halt.

Was good while it lasted. Got in 56 sets behind a new to me 17 Prostar. Really enjoyed the wakes and boat overall. Went from struggling at 22 off to hardly ever missing and getting through 28 off 20x. Best was 4@32 off.

Picked up a 2020 Radar Senate Pro so that didn’t hurt the cause. Had Terry Winter do a video review just last week so I know what to work on to knock down 32 off and hopefully beyond next year.

Another highlight was skiing at Radar Lake this year with @brooks and friends.

I count myself very blessed!

• Baller
I have to say best season I’ve ever had. Ski with an absolutely awesome crew, at some of the nicest places imaginable, taking a quality vs. quantity approach, applying what I’ve learned from training with Terry @twhisper and staying healthy.

Fantastic season. First ski was on may 24 and just pulled the boat out today (sep 27) Got our first direct drive(s) this summer and had some new accomplishments. Skied the course at 15off/ going 30 and got 5 balls at 22off. Put about 70hrs on our Malibu in just under 2 months. Skied on average 7 sets a week sometimes more between 3 different boats. Also picked up a new ski but still managed to get some new tricks barefooting. Overall killer summer

• Baller

Awesome start to the season with solidifying some great friendships in April thanks to @skihard

Hit my Season peak mid July with sking through 28 off at 34 mph (season goal) and getting to a few at 32 off.

Slumped Through August but figured out the weak link in September and had some of the most fun runs to close out the season. Seem to have a mental block at 28 off. All 3 kids hit good development milestones.

Now it’s the end of September, hockey has started and the boat hasn’t left the garage on a few weeks. Short Canadian season. Now I dream of next season and fun times.

• Baller
Started the year with a bang..... I was fortunate to be able to spend a couple days a week at Jodi's ski skool starting in February, getting some great training time with Jodi, along with Freek School and Siani Oliver. Made gradual improvements in practice best leading to 1st tournament of the year at Lapoints. Not only shattered last years tournament best by almost 2 lines (going from last years tournament best of 4 ball 15off 30.4mph) setting a new tournament and all time PB of 2 at 22off 32.3mph, 1st time getting through the 15off 32.3mph and 1st time looking at 22off. From there I continued getting a little more consistent at 32.3mph 15off, while run 22off a half dozen or so times, accomplishing a new practice PB of 2 at 28off 32.3mph. Weather has turned a little windy over the last month or 2 now, so haven't seen a lot of the harder passes, but still getting a good bit of skiing in. Nice thing being in Florida, we still have a good 3 months of skiing left so hoping to keep moving forward and see a little more 28 off, and a couple tournaments to try to improve my tournament bests, or at least pull up my 2 lower scores from last year and improve the average.

• Baller

Been a great year for me:

Got my first new ski since 1982 (Radar Senate Alloy)

Best physical condition I’ve been in for a long long time

New handle that helps with my elbow pain which contributed to my skiing semi-retirement

More sets in than ever before

Went from feeling over my head at -15 34mph to consistently running -22 and chipping away at -28

Season is coming to and end here in the PNW but hope to squeeze in a few more sets and just maybe run that -28 at least once.

Kent

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

Best season of my life so far.

First tournament in 23 years and managed to post a PB 3 at 32off/32mph having never even attempted 32off ever before.

Got the speed up to 34mph in the past month and can now come off the dock at 22off/34mph.

Then I finally got my first full pass at 28off/34mph.

On top of all of my own achievements my 14 YO daughter did her first tournament and got a PB there as well and is super excited to hit a bunch of tournaments next summer.

We're heading to FL this weekend to see if we can squeeze out just a bit more.

I'm looking forward to snow ski season but I'm not ready for this water ski season to end either.

• Baller

Not a competitor and not much of a course skier, but doesnt mean I dont have fun and dont have goals. This was a great year for me. Typically I am half footer, half slalom/free ski with one or two course opportunities a summer. This year was more like 90:10 slalom/footing.

Recap:

new to me boat, a 96 176 vs my old 1976 ski tique, so a much better pull

new to me newer Radar Senate, vs my 90s vintage HO

Probably something like 10 course outings give or take, which is a lot for me.

finally broke the 15/30 barrier with some pretty clean 22/30 runs.

Form "behind the boat" is getting better.

Goal for this year was 22/32. (I will be men's 7 in a few months, so 32 will be "my speed" not that I ever intend to compete, but I like the personal challenge.) I didnt make 22/32, but Im on my way, that is what next year is for.

Would like more course outings (like weekly) but I am in the position of having to deploy/retrieve every outing, so it takes a little effort. Shoot for two free ski outings a week, so work on form there, as best I can. Was out of commission most of Sept due to back issues but carefully slid back into it Sunday and felt pretty good.

Overall a great season, and fortunately, not over yet.

• Baller
NOT a good year-in the spring lake closed early due to high water, about a month of skiing and now closed again. Probably done for the year, almost all the lakes in SE WI are closed. Have a drysuit so even if I have to push really late going to do it. Skiing improved, but still have a LOT of work on.

Slow start in Michigan due to cold and rainy May/June. July was nice once weather warmed up, August was not a bad month, but cooler toward end, September was really nice, actually warmed up more than August, but then came to abrupt end, temps dropped off quickly from 80 to high 50's in one day. Now ready to hang it up and pull the course. But in between, rebuilt my dock with Fiberon decking, with hidden fasteners, and added an extra triangle section next to my lift, so it was a big home run. Brought a new rope, handle, and GTR ski. I just wish I had more time to get used to the new ski. I made a few fin adjustments that seemed to help the ski turn quicker which should help me run more buoys, just need more time on it to get used to it and fine tune it. Seems faster and smoother than old GT, if I can get it to turn better I should do better, although it really grips so have to get used to not bite off too much or get pulled out or the pass is over. That is what I will work on next year, faster speed with smoother turns to get early vs too aggressive and getting pulled out and the new dock and equipment to enjoy for years ahead.