Vest for the budget minded.

Wish

• Baller_

I'm a Straitline vest user but as old as it is it's time to give up and buy a new vest. I've tried Radar and Camaro (they are both awesome - support sponsors) but just can't bring myself to spend that much. So for the budget minded skiers I stumbled on this vest by Tantrum Tow Ropes. Have used it for 5 sets now and am very impressed. Fit and finish are great. Does not soak up water and stays light. Simple design that actually floats you very well and has some good side rib protection. The company encourages the buyer to email them with your measurements for the correct sizing. Their response was immediate. Very pleased at a cost shipped of only $52.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakeboard-Wakesurf-Competition-Life-Vest-Jacket-with-Zipper/113783583457?hash=item1a7e07b2e1:m:m3tTLbbu3Pc7FFOBmzmUS9A

nnpmlo1viq3z.jpeg

sdh3qy6lw38t.jpeg

tf1ygrcmdzj4.jpeg

• Baller_

...don't forget smoke detectors. ?

The surprising part is it does not feel like a budget vest. Not sure how they make it for that price but also unclear why the other companies cost is so high to make theirs. Just tossing it out there as an option. ?

• Baller

@Chef23 there are comp vests and then there are neoprene garments for people who want to wear the most minimal option.

I think the Oneill Outlaw was pretty good - the trend towards no buckles at all on comp vests - atleast make sure its got a good zipper.

I tried one of the radar with a boa - fit pretty good. Still nervous about that zipper. You'll notice most every uscg vest has buckles.

• Baller
@BraceMaker I agree with you. I have an Eagle and a Camaro. The Camaro has the built in waist belt and more flotation and protection. The standard Eagle doesn't have a lot of flotation. I prefer the Camaro but it is much heavier when wet and unfortunately the zipper just broke, it didn't break open but I can't get it to go up and down.

• Baller
I'm torn on the high price of vests also, but have been fortunate to score some screaming ebay deals on lighty used Eagle and Oneil. Highest cost shipped to my door has been $30. I trust the quality of thoses products. I do appreciate threads like this though where ballers are weighing in on alternates. My current Eagle is a way cool older version of their Overspray, with neon green, orange, and white lettering, originally made for Miami Nautique. Was $22 shipped to my door. Like new.

• Baller_
Just for perspective, I thought in the pics that the floatation panels looked kinda thin and perhaps offered little protection. It's actually well padded and the foam is such that you can tell it would obsorb and displace water on impact. Have not tested that other then jumping off my dock onto my back just to see. But much better in person then pics in the ad.

• Baller_
@wawaskr Ya, that's why I was hesitant but Ive spent $50 on dumber things so I gave it a go and was surprised. The pics are from ebay ad. Guessing E-bay minimizes quality of the pics when uploaded. It looks way better in person. I wouldn't wear something that looks like a wool sweater :D . I'll see if I can get a better pic up next time I ski.

• Baller
I've been using an O'Neill Slasher and got a Radar Drifter this year (both kinda sound like serial killers) and have had both roll up or get pulled up. I'm thinking @BraceMaker and others are right that a vest needs a belt. Anyone got a good suggestion on a comp vest with a belt? Ronix has one that might be a good one. Any recommendations?

• Baller
@Nando this season I picked up a Follow comp vest that has a single thin belt at the waistline. They have a few different vests in the product line and seem more focused to the Wakeboard market. The one I have is the Token Oli. Check them out, so far performance has been good.

• Baller
The JetPilot A-10 is a good vest also with side entry and a belt. Doesn't soak up water and allows full movement. I have one I work into the rotation. Prefer it over my Eagle or O'Neil vests. Reasonably cheap ay $79.99 right now

• Baller

Has anyone tried the Radar Encore CGA vest?

I rigged up a nylon belt on my comp vest, and it was the only thing holding it on after I took a nasty crash, and ripped right down the side of the vest. Looking for one with buckles to replace it.

• Supporting Member

@powbmps

I'm using last years Encore vest. I've only used a CGA vest. Great Radar quality and offers a bit more rib protection and of course floats better. It seems to take on the same amount water as the other manufacturers mid-market CGA partial neo vests in our boat.

I'm too bad a skier, too heavy and our pond water is too dark to go to a comp vest. But, I want too!

• Baller
@Thager, what's the side padding on the A10 like? I bruised my kidney and spleen (and ribs) with a vest with minimal padding on the sides and would like a fair amount of padding- maybe I should go back to a CGA vest- or quit crashing...

• Baller_

Couple things. Tantrum is a great company. They sent a vest to my father. It almost fit but a tad to tight for him. They don’t carry a XXL but thought it might fit so they took a shot and shipped it. They have a 30 day money back option. But instead, they said to just keep it and they will refund full price....NICE!!! Also new colors coming out for next version. Mine is still looking new.

Also for sale is my daughters Liquid Force pullover Small 32-35. Great vest and lightly used. She wants a front zip. My loss, your gain. Make me an offer ?.

kco0k06hzp9w.png

i66i62oq8l2t.jpeg

bv2sz5gvx7nh.jpeg

• Baller

I quit wearing nonCGA vests when I heard about a local wakeboarder that drowned after a hard crash with his comp vest still around his torso. I may not ski anywhere near as hard as some of the shortliners around here, but I just wear a CGA approved HO Skis vest. It has sufficient padding to protect you in a hard fall, and it will not come off even if you crash hard enough to flip your eyelids inside out.

At 10 years old it's time for a new one though.