The EP Stiletto Project

Horton

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@Horton with a Traditional (KD @ the time) 4-hole fin: .784, 2.503, 6.852. Not sure on bindings. If it has one of those straight-cut pink or yellow fins made out of recycled Coors cans, just go to the fade marks, 1.2 dft, and start video and 911 call simultaneously ?

• Baller
As I recall my friend used a beer can. Height= length, dia = depth, pull tab w/o ring dft when he switched to Schnitz fin block. Actually Willard Collins bought and set one up for me. Was my first upscale ski

• Baller
That was the first ski I had with an adjustable fin. Of course I assumed it was fine where it was when I bought it at the 1990 Nats at Bell Acqua. It was not. Tail completely hopped out of the water on my first 28 at one ball. I looked at the fin and thought "yeah, I guess that's pretty shallow". It looked like it had a fin depth of about 2.00. I just deepened it to what looked OK (probably 2.50). It was fine after that. No idea on length or DFT. First ski I ran 35 on. I bought Schnitz's adjustable fin block and instructions after that.

• Baller

@jimbrake "adjustable" is debatable! I had one and skied pretty decent on it. From my recollection I would start around 2.50" with fin level in the fin box and take out or add length. Pretty sure I rant that fin more forward than other skis, so if you run .780 on your skis, bump to .800.

Some of those plastic fin boxes that were first on the scene were real pisser to "micro" adjust and were more macro adjustments.

• Baller

I had a Stilleto back in the mid /late 80s. It was the only ski I ever ran 32 off at 36 mph on because I started skiing less after I graduated from college.

I think my Dad sold that ski but I still have a very good condition Connelly HP from about that same vintage in my shed.

I had one of those; set the Tennessee Men II state record on it. Susi Graham gave it to me when she and Ricky were working on the SkiRay project for Sea Ray Boat Co. It was a great ski until it broke. The Sweetwater ,Tn. skiers had a lot of fun skiing with Ricky and Susi.

• Baller

The anticipation is nearly too much. It sure looks like there was a wing on holes 4-5 in that Schnitz fin at one point? (Counting holes from front to back)

That OEM fin reminds me of a Kidder "Pro" fin that was on a Redline Pro Graphite ski I rode a lot in the summer of 1985. If I remember right it had no holes at all but was cut way forward at the aft part of the fin.