In the market for a Nautique 200, input on buying one from Florida?

Reg

Hey Ballers,

I'm in the market for a Nuatique 200, have a budget up to $50k. I live in the Pacific NW, not a lot of selection up here, so resolved to flying somewhere and relying on U-ship to get it home. I've found a couple boats on Miami Nautiques website, but wondered if anyone's had experience buying a Florida boat. Here are two I'm interested in:

https://www.mniboats.com/2015-Ski-Nautique-200CB-p/2015-ski-nautique-200cb.htm

https://www.mniboats.com/2017-Ski-Nautique-200-OB-p/2017-sn-200-cb.htm

Mostly because of the low hours. Not sure MNI will deal with me on the '17 enough to get within my price range though. They are stating these boats have only had fresh water use, but my biggest concern is the effect airborne salts may have had on the boats, electronics, wiring harnesses, air intake into engine, trailer, etc. Never been to Florida, not sure if this is a real concern or if these boats have been used inland enough to escape salt exposure & corrosion.

Before I fly down there to take a closer look, just wondered if anyone has experience in buying a boat from Florida, or perhaps firsthand knowledge of these boats?

Of course there are other 200's out there. Bennett's Ski & Boat has this low hour '16:

https://www.3eventstore.com/collections/pre-owned-boats/products/2001-mastercraft-209

Silver Spray Sports has an '11:

https://www.silverspraysports.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7404727&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

And Boathouse Marine has an '11 TE, looks like a great setup, but higher hours:

https://www.bhmtrilakes.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7833450&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Any input would be appreciated. I'd prefer an open bow, but low hours and condition of the boat are a higher priority for me. If anyone knows of other 200's in my price range, would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks!!!!

• Baller
@Reg The boat at Bennetts is low hrs and a one owner boat and its a friends boat that they are selling. It has been for sale I think for most of the summer.Remember a closed bow boat will be more difficult to sell.I think the CB 200 at Miami nautique is a good buy and is low hrs.My local nautique dealer has a brand new 200 with zero off phoenix trailer and high end stereo for $63,000 which is a good buy for a new boat.Ck out @The_MS 16 prostar would be a great boat.

• Baller

If a FL boat was used in fresh water, I wouldn't be too concerned. However, I once came close to buying an SN in FL (from Orlando Nautiques), that was only 2 years old at the time, and the interior really took a beating from the powerful sun down there. No doubt one stored protected from the sun would be just fine, but just putting it our there. We're lucky here in the midwest, as fresh water, moderate temps and short ski seasons mean some really cherry used boats.

You may want to wheel and deal on that new 200 @bananaron spoke of, if you can stretch the budget? It's a beautiful boat, and brand new...and I bet the first number starts with a 5 if you're standing there pen in hand:)

• Baller
I bought my ProStar from Florida. They said it was always used in fresh water, but we found evidence otherwise. Also, the salty air did a number and I ended up replacing lots of the electrical. Still love my boat dearly and am happy as hell I bought the one I did. No matter where you get a used boat, you are inheriting its past....no matter what the owner says, the boat will perform until it doesn't and you will never know until it happens. At this point, if I were to buy a new boat, I would definitely by one with much higher hours from a trusted person over one that seems to be a sweet deal. My two cents.

• Baller
@Reg - the 2011 at Boat House Marine is a boat I have personally skied behind the last 4 years - it runs great and I'm not aware of any issues except that the trailer is not easiest to load/unload. During those 4 years it was serviced at Boat House marine - oil changes, plugs, winterization, etc. My friend sold it to upgrade.

@KRoundy, I did talk to Rob at Pacific Nautiques, before I sold my '07 Prostar, called to see if they'd be interested in trade in on a '16 200 they had, he said yes, but became non-responsive after that. Even after I sold my boat, he was beyond slow to respond. Don't understand the attitude there, okay if you have the '16 sold already, but respond to people & be professional for goodness sake. And be a boat salesman "hey I've sold the '16 but can I contact you if I have something else come up." Nada, zip, zilch. But I guess if you're in a large city and have plenty of customers, what's one falling through the cracks? Won't bother calling them for anything again.

• Baller
I don't get the downside of a florida boat, other than we use them 12 months out of the year, so it will have more hours/year. Unless it lives within a mile or so of the ocean, I don't see any salt spray issues (no different than a South Carolina, or Texas or any other coastal state boat thats lived that close to the ocean.) We don't get too much salt spray in Orlando. Regular use in Salt could be an issue, but i'm not sure how many ski boats are in salt regularly. If the boat has been taken care of properly, a couple times in salt water isn't the end of the world, someone who takes care of it will promptly flush and rinse thoroughly. If it hasn't been taken care of, you don't want it whether its been in salt or not.

@Dockoelboto funny you should mention that '17 in Kenmore. I put an offer on that boat, the dealer claimed little to no salt water use, then found out from a buddy their boats come from Malibu Camp in BC Canada, exclusively salt water use, lots of abuse from the camp kiddos. He made the mistake of buying his 200 from them, tons of issues & problems.

• Baller
@Reg, Damn, good info to have! The PNW is a tough boat market, I'm down in Olympia and it took me a while. I was in a different price range but ended up with a 13 TXi. I talked a lot to Bananaron about boats, and still do. There are some great buys out there if you are willing to travel. The 14 CB SN200 if still around here seems like a great buy at around 35K. Hopefully something good comes along.