Sometimes the old is better.

swaterkd

• Baller
I was skiing my best about 5 years ago and broke my leg pretty bad. I said "I don't want to see that ski again!" and sold it. I have tried a bunch of skis over the last 5 years and keep saying that I skied on that ski the best. So after 5 years of trying new stuff I broke down and found an old one and purchased it. From the first set on it I felt like I could ski again!! Anyone else ever go back to old faithful?

• Baller
Yes. I sold my backup ski a few years back and then primary ski broke down. Tried half dozen or so other new skis but none felt good. Booted up my old Obrien Elite and it felt good from the get go. I did find a new ski finally but the Elite lives in my shed permanently now.

• Baller

This does not surprise me. There are a ton of good skiers on here that warrant the latest and best equipment. There are also intermediate and novice (like myself). I understand and accept the fact that state of the art equipment helps. But I also feel that I dont need equipment that is better than me and that a lot of people are not ski limited, i.e. it is them that is holding them back, not their 10 year old ski. A lot of folk are compelled to "keep up with the Jones's" and buy the latest and greatest every year, but in a lot of cases, I can't help but think that money would be better spent on gas.70i6jmmnsla5.jpg

• Baller_
I go back to the original Denali all the time. Never lets me down. I'm planning to boot up my S2 this winter and give it a rip ..maybe with the CG fin. With a PB of 1.5@39, I'll never sell it. Will be interesting to see what it can do.

• Baller
I did. I had a Goode 9960 mid which is still the only ski I have ever run 35 off on. In a fit of boredom over the winter I swapped it for a Nano 1 which I could never get comfortable on. I spent a wasted two summers on a D3 Helix and then a blue Vapor before getting a Fire Mid. All of a sudden it was like being home again.

• Baller
@wish that original Denali was amazing IMHO. I also really liked my Razor A68 where the majority of my successful 38's live. First time on that ski, with a hardshell binding (I ski rubber) I went 3@38. Once I got my own bindings on that thing it was hot.

• Baller
I'm an intermediate skier working to become more advanced. So far, open water only. I haven't ski'd a course yet, but have been skiing on a '90's HO Extreme. Now that I can expect to get 3 - 4 days skiing in per week during the summer, I figured I should upgrade a bit and hopefully improve my form and skills. Just bought a '19 Senate Lithium - we'll see how I do next year.

• Baller

Senate is a very good choice (IMO). It's amazing how big part of job modern ski does for you. Just keep position, do all elements in time and ski turns almost itself. Like carving alpine skis.

I am also intermediate 15off skier and my progress speeded up with Senate.

• Baller

After many years on D3 I tried to get away. After 6 years on other skiis I had to go back-they just seem to suit my style and make everything feel easier and ball count in practice is back up to into 38/34.

I’m actually on a 66 Fusion, it’s a sick ski.

However a really fun thing to do is get a lightly used older ski (for cheap!) then look up @Horton ’s review on it and apply the technique tips he advises on for that specific ski. I tried it with an A2, a strada, and a Fusion, this really shortens the “break in” process for a new ski.