Only 15 hours on the oil

BlueSki

• Baller
Oil analysis is a great tool but only when done correctly. Needs to be taken when hot, preferably from a circulating part of the system. Too many people just suck some from the bottom of their machinery sump when cold, then jump to conclusions when they get a shitty result. Needs to be done consistently to identify trends. In a boat engine, not worth it, just change it regularly and carry out your regular scheduled maintenance

• Baller

So you will spend $10,000 to $100,000+ on a boat, $1000 on a ski, $100 on a pair of gloves but you won’t buy 5/6 quarts of oil (and filter) for less than $50 that WILL have a direct impact on your skiing/boat???

Meanwhile the acid (even oil with 15 hours has acids) in the oil will be happily consuming expensive parts in your engine over winter...

What am I missing here???

• Baller
@Jetsetr, I’ll happily drop $50 to keep the boat in good order. I change my fuel filters annually, and the oil more frequently than 50 hours. Googling didn’t give a good indication of oil degradation in a marine engine after 15 hours, but enough ballers, especially @Jody_Seal, have taken apart enough engines that I thought I might get some insights.

• Baller
If it was a beautiful day, and I just pulled the boat from the water with hot oil, I'd consider it at 15 hours. If the boat is resting at garage temp, and the only thing standing between me and that beer is a quick winterization, that's the route I'd go too. Sounds like this is the exception and not the rule for you, so 15 hour oil sitting over a few months this time will not lead to catastrophic failure.

• Baller
i bought a new ski nautique in 1974. the manual said to change the oil every 100 hours. for 15 years i changed it every spring not knowing about oil contaminates. The boat has had 4 owners since then and is still running on original engine. I change oil every fall now on current boat.

I guess I am confused on the change oil now or later at 15 hours.

Unless you change the oil now and then drive it, all of the residual oil on the other side of the engine and lots of other places is still untouched for the remainder of the winter in the garage.

So in effect it did nothing except put in new oil that is going to sit in the bottom of the oil pan for the winter.

And testing your oil not sure why again? I think this is a good idea for race teams, but for people that aren't going to rebuild their engine after every few drives or do anything about it after they get the data seems like a lot of effort for nothing.

check plugs, check oil level, check gauges, smell and listen to engine. If you really want to know what is going on, get a wide band o2, which is total overkill unless you are racing and tuning yourself.

• Baller

@BlueSki Was it good beer?

@Jetsetr First, will an extra oil change have ANY measurable effect on the performance or longevity of a ski boat that is subject to freezing temperatures before winterization, brackish water, water filters plugged with weeds, worn impellers, dirty fuel from fivers, corrosion from a wet bilge, extended periods of non operation, low hours per year or any of the real world issues that actually cause a boat engine to fail. Normal boats never wear out things like cams and bearings (where oil is critical) because something else fails first.

Between the ZO upgrade and the new fuel gauge, I might have more hours working on the boat than skiing behind it ?. I certainly don't want to add to that imbalance by wasting time on an unneeded oil change.

That $50 will be much better spent on a craft beer tasting!

Eric

@2valve ya, that is what I mentioned before.

unless you do start it up and run it, just changing the oil and having it sit in the garage did nothing for you. Which I think happens occasionally.

but I think changing oil at 15 hrs is overkill, unless it is a new motor/rebuilt then do it around 10 hours.

• Baller

As previously mentioned, the oil gets contaminated with acids, by products of combustion etc. This happens fairly quick and then your soft bearings and others metals get eaten away and the life of the engine is reduced. Change the oil and filter in the fall as part of your storage procedure and the engine parts can bath happily in new, fresh oil. Then, in the spring, you can draw one instead of working on your boat because it's all ready to go. Your boat will thank you! How much do you value your boat?

On a side note, for outboards, this is especially important for your bottom ends. If there is a seal leak and water in the bottom end, freeze up will crack it and do damage. change/fix it in the fall and it's ready for the spring. Hook up your battery, sit back and draw one!