Who Are You Thankful For

ALPJr

• Baller
For @razorskier1 for giving me THE mark to chase both on the water and in the gym, and for having the guts to be straight up with me when I needed a kick in the butt. For my buddy Bob, the fat-fingered lurker who was my best ski buddy for 17 years at "the swamp". For my Dad who took us to the river on Sundays and started it all. For my collegiate ski team...what a blast! For Garth Peter...the dude I always wanted to beat in M1...didn't care for him much at the time, but he pushed me. For Scott Thompson...the first guy from whom I took lessons in the course...picked me up a couple of line lengths in one day.

I am super thankful for Wim Decree and Ed Hickey at Hobe Lake Ski Club! In February of this year I was driving down the road and saw a Nautique banner hanging on the gate of a ski lake a few miles from my house. I found their website and have been skiing a few sets a week since then. At 40 years old and after a 15 year hiatus there have been some ups and downs but Wim has been super patient and is an excellent coach! Ed has done a fantastic job developing and running the club and sets the tone for each and every one of us to do better each set! Now my husband is hooked too! ?

• Baller

It is not only who I’m thankful for more so of what I’m thankful for. First I had a safe and productive season. Learning new techniques and applying them. While realizing I may have to take a step back to go two steps forward. Secondly I want to thank my dad who thought me to ski and was and is still supporting me and of course my wife who puts up with my good days and bad days on the water. Now 40 plus years later I have great friends on both coasts and great ski partners to push me and point out the little things.

Looking forward to another productive year

• Baller_
Without question my wife. She has not put up with my passion, she has pushed my passion. There's never been a no answer to .."Honey..can I/we get......for skiing?" From buying a fixer upper home on a lake to gear, boats and the like. And being THE best driver hands down from pre PP days ..throttling and counter streering while timing the pass with a cleverly located stop watch. She has gone to countless tournaments with me, knows the lingo and can discuss ski gear, technique, driving, and pro skiers. She skied early on but do to a neck injury has been my best cheer leader/driver ever since. Blessed is an understatement. Of course there have been others along the way. My neighbor in MN that got me hooked as a teen on course skiing, my parents that supported my move to FL right outa college and most recently @adamhcaldwell and @AdamCord with their passion and truly unlocking the mysteries of skiing and slalom skies for me. More learned in the last 3 years then the last 22. There is a long list of others. Bonus has been BOS that has set me up with new friends as well as great advice.

• Baller_

I am thankful for:

1. Our Bow Lake Wednesday Men's Dinner Club foursome - best guys ever to hang with

2. Hilltop Lake and Gordon's drive to give us such a beautiful place to ski

3. My more recent HT ski friends, especially Bruce; he skis with me here in WA all year long, rain or shine

4. My best friend Doug who got me into skiing in 1977 and has kept me in it ever since. Not many have the luxury of a 50 year special friendship!

5. My family and my health at 61+

Lots more but this is should do it for now.

• Baller

Have to second @Rednucleus the foursome at Bow lake is the best group of guys to ski with hands down.

My wife and kids who support my ski addiction.

Have to also give it up for my orthopedic surgeon who replaced both my knees and my physical therapist who challenged me and made me work my butt off during rehab so I could get back to skiing.

• Baller

My mom for driving us all summer as kids on lake Sammamish Terry Goodman we met in collage got me into the course at age 21and really showed what slalom ski was. then there is Eddie Roberts for getting great skis and pulling me all the time at radar and he was the one that introduced me to Matt Black my # 1 ski partner for the last 12 years. Matt and a few other started a ski club and we lease a lake with 30 members and last is Steve Burdick a great energy and can ski some short lines he pushes me, I believe if he can do it,

I can run that line also.

• Baller

I'm thankful for my ski buddies, Dave, JB, Mark, Jeff, Mike and RII.

We all push each other to get better, whether its in the course, free skiing, or even when the rain's coming down and we're all wearing jackets and goggles, looking kind of nuts.

I'm thankful to live where I always wanted, to ski every day in my own Inboard, to ride my antique motorcycles on beautiful backroads, or drive my convertible across country.

I'm thankful for the seasons. The bitter ice cold of winter, turning into spring's promise, the long steamy days of summer and the incredible colorful palette of a midwest fall.

I'm thankful for my pooch, who lives for being with me, skiing, hiking, napping together, or riding in the truck for a vanilla ice cream.

Time doesn't wait for anyone. I always remember I could die tomorrow and be thankful for today. I try to live it like it could all disappear, which someday it most certainly will.

52cjeo859u11.jpg

• Baller

Bob Tyler, brother of Steve Tyler, for providing me the opportunity to start skiing the course back in the late 90s. Bob liked to ski but mostly he just wanted to be at the lake and drink beer. For a guy that never skied tournaments he sure introduced, or maybe facilitated, skiing for lots of people.

Chet, Noah, Trent and Seth for their coaching over the years. Coaching is a very personal thing and I get a lot out of skiing with those guys.

All of the people I've met in this sport. Truly some of the best people I know.

• Baller
My dad who got a second job to buy a boat so we could enjoy our summer cabin.My wife who is a fabulous boat driver and always willing to pull me.My dog winston who loves to ride in the boat and watch the old guy ski.My ski family from Hong Kong Tony,Hilary,Thad and the queen Audrey.My other driver and ski partner Joe who has become a ski stud.All of the fine people who live on my lake and enjoy watching us ski and make great comments about us.And thanks to the good Lord for helping me plan this so I can enjoy something I have a passion for.What a GREAT LIFE I have.......

• Baller
Five summers ago I saw a guy standing on the back of a boat getting ready to ski. I called out to him and before I realized it I was out skiing the very next day. That lead to five summers of skiing with him. New gear, new friends and a return to a sport I was passionate about as a youth. So many cold mornings and sunny afternoons later I had my first successful run through the course in 2019 with him watching. Thank you to my good friend Scott H!

• Baller
My family, and dad’s boats. Dr. Paul and the Dolfin Dock crew. Russ Ramey, the Lenzsch gang and the bay rats. Jimmy Durham, Dave Spencer, Vince S, Mike Syderhoud, The Berkeley and Marin clubs, Randy Wade and the Jack’s Pond crew. My kids and Mrs. ALPJr who have let me keep enjoying this sport for so many years. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Baller

-This year I am thankful for Vertex Pharmaceuticals.

-Thankful for my work and the fact that when the phone rings and it’s family importance, I’m in the position to drop what I’m doing, no questions asked and nobody to report to.

-Thankful for my family.

-Thankful I was freaking skiing this morning!