Plant based diet good for skiing?

paul

• Baller

Just saw Joel Poland is going plant based after watching the movie game changers. I’ve been plant based for a year now and I have been amazed at the difference. One crazy thing is that I have had a back injury for the past 17 years or so. I basically could just manage it but it would flare up every so often. This year no flare ups and now it is totally gone. Apparently eating plant based causes less inflammatory responses so your body can heal quicker. Crazy... I highly recommend it.

Sorry kind of skiing kind of not - delete if off topic...

• Baller

Have been vegan my entire life. Real food does not come from a lab so no surprise about the fake meat. Just because it is plant based does not make it healthier if it has been processed.

It is hard for those wanting to convert. Sourcing quality food and products is time consuming and generally a more costly way of living. Google can help but don't believe everything you read as gospel. Find a good reputable natural foods market and someone who is knowledgeable to get you started.

It is a lifestyle change that requires years to learn and a strong commitment to achieve.

• Baller

I’ve watched game changer and yes it is an eye opener. After watching the show I have cut meat about 80 percent out of my diet and I feel a lot better. Not as weighed down and more energy I am still skiing and I have not noticed any change in strength When skiing. In fact I feel more focused and lighter on the water. When at the gum I have not loss anything as far as strength.

It really does take commitment and creativity for meals.

My wife and I started going plant based after watching Forks Over Knives plus at least 3 other eye opening docs on Netflix like Food Choices. Although we have both always been fit and I am 66, my goal is to be waterskiing at 100 and meat, poultry and fish are simply not the answer.

Nature intended us to be frugivores, not carnivores, so if you want to live a long and healthy life, free of disease and heart complications, take a serious look at moving towards a plant based diet or at least dramatically reduce your intake of meat, poultry and fish. And forget the crap you hear about protein shortages. For example only a half cup of lentils has 26 grams of protein and our bodies need far less protein than the food industry has been promoting over the years.

As for cost, we find it far less expensive than the common diet unless you are also trying to go organic. Just focus on the vegetables and fruits that are in season. Most people have trouble with plant based diets because they have never done it before and don't know how to prepare a tasty meal. In that case simply subscribe to a website like Forks Over Knives and they will provide you with all the recipes you need every week.

I will admit that it was easy for me because my wife is an incredible cook and she prepares delicious soup meals. Otherwise my basic diet would consist of the mice, rats and monster squirrels we trap in our backyard. Here is wishing everyone the best of health and make it your goal to post your passes when you reach a hundred.

• Baller
@So_I_Ski I couldnt agree more. My wife has gone full vegan, and the times I have followed her eating habits, I have to honestly say it is the best I have felt. Being in the Medical and Fitness industry my entire career, it is very enlightening the poor information that circulates around regarding protein and sourcing. For all of you Ballers that might be interested in trying the concept, I would also recommend looking into doing a "Daniel Fast" for 30-40 days, which in large part is going plant based, and taking sugar and refined products out of your diet. Try it for the 30-40 days, and take an honest inventory of how you "feel." Plant based may not be for everyone, but, it is worth a very honest attempt at a trial before forming your opinion.

@jayski, I skimmed thru that article and there are always lots of opposing viewpoints on documentaries especially where diet is concerned. My advice for anyone who is interested in a whole food plant based diet but doesn't know what to believe is to consider whether you find the authors credible and how they might profit significantly from their position. Even more important would be whether they are backed by a special interest group.

For that reason I always suggest Forks Over Knives as the first doc to watch. The authors not only have the scientific pedigree, it would be hard to believe that in lieu of their ages, they are doing it for financial gain. Furthermore, I could not find any special interest group behind the production but watch it and decide for yourself whether you find them credible or not.

• Baller
@So_I_Ski I spent the last couple years Vegan, I guarantee anyone coming off of any other 'typical diet' will see body composition, energy (once they figure out how to get enough fuel), and health improvements....BUT most switching do not eat properly up to that point so improvements by Veganism are not really legitimately realistic. They would probably get same results with clean proper fuelling. Going clean healthy vegan is not an easy task, it is not easy to get fuelled cleanly and properly. The upcoming issue is all the 'easy' vegan foods in the frozen section which is worse for you than some meats, and loaded with words one cannot even pronounce...but hey, it's vegan! Generally people are way to lazy to be Vegan in a healthy way and we are getting over run with quick fixes. I have done Keto, Paleo, Atkins, combos of and eat whatever the hell I wanted, been a self testing guinea pig for it all. Read a ton of material, legitimate proven scientific material that 99% of the people would get bored of in the first paragraph and all I know is that we ARE NOT engineered to be herbivores. Don't get me wrong a person can survive and perform as a Vegan but it isn't the optimum fuelling for us. We need race fuel, Veganism is like mid grade (Vegetarian rates a bit higher).

@jayski, I agree with most of what you say, particularly the comments about 'easy' vegan from the frozen section. Also agree with vegetarian as opposed to vegan is the better choice. But from everything I have read and seen we are designed to eat fruits and vegetables and not meat and that is the high octane fuel we should be consuming provided a lot of it is consumed fresh.

• Baller

Weighed 230 lbs. while playing football. Changed sports focus to bicycle racing and running (down to 180 lbs.) Became a vegan and have not eaten red meat in 37 years. Did start consuming fish/shellfish for additional protein and to reduce carbs in the last 10 years.

I do think intense, consistent exercise throughout life is as important, if not more so, than diet.

Happy Thanksgiving...whatever you decide to enjoy....

• Baller

@So_I_Ski I think you need to look a little harder, it is not that difficult to find scientific proof that we are designed to process meat. Now don't be the one to assume the far end of the scale that it's meat, meat, meat and little vegetables, and don't also tag the term meat with red meat as the masses do, fish, chicken are not evil.

@markn so you are no longer a vegan then...

• Baller
What is good for skiing is great strength to weight ratio. That translates to low body fat. Use whatever style of eating that will get you there and is sustainable. There is no one size fits all. Many approaches that work. Sustainable is something that can be done day in and day out forever.

• Baller

@skiboyny Fully agree, tho sometimes I wonder if sustainability can trick people into thinking that you can supplement wherever you are. I think most people would agree on the following:

try to avoid packaged and processed foods when possible

don't overeat or undercut (calories)

supplement if you can't get all nutrients from food, but do your best to acquire nutrients through food

I'd love to hear some professionals on these three, but I feel that regardless of your diet, you'd be doing pretty well in following these, which is harder than most people think.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
I know it's been previously said on this thread, but the more I read, research, and live, the more I subscribe to the "everything in moderation" mindset. Most things that are "bad" for you are actually fine if you don't consume them in excess. Most things that are "good" for you become bad if it's all you eat. For most humans, balance is key unless you're like Jordan Peterson and have autoimmune disease that only works with a specific diet.

• Baller
@Luzz I think those are good rules to start with. How low you want your body fat to be will really dictate what you need to do. The lower you want the body fat to be the more accountable you will need to be. It's not as mysterious as everyone makes it. It does take a bit of discipline. That seems to be the hard part for most.

• Baller
Jayski, no longer strict vegan. Started eating fish 3-4 times per week a while back. Will say, with this diet combined with regular exercise and skiing , weight has not fluctuated 2-3 lbs. in 30 years and am still maintaining strength. At 63, hope this trend continues indefinitely.

• Baller

Peter Attia is the guy who got me serious on proper lifestyle and diet. He's the most balanced, thoughtful, and well researched people on this topic I know of. I went Keto in January and literally had to drop a ski size (my new 65 Senate coming in the spring)

Here's his take on the Game Changers

https://peterattiamd.com/?s=game+changers

There is something it seems that is always overlooked when debating the merits of a whole food plant based diet as opposed to consuming a diet that includes more than very small helpings of red meat, chicken, pork, fish, dairy etc. etc. you name it. We know for a fact that there are scientific studies that indicate the consumption of red meat is a factor in heart disease. Dairy has been linked to cancer. Traces of pollutants can be found in all the fish in the oceans. Chicken and pork, even more than red meat is loaded with growth hormones. But the debate rages on in large part because the food industry is huge business and like big pharma they are willing to fund any researcher who will keep consumers bellying up to their trough.

Here is the striking part of that debate. I don't believe that there is even one single study that links the consumption of vegetables and fruit to any disease or illness. Your only concern might be something that man has done which is treating the crop with pesticides and that can be remedied by going organic or buying from a local farmer. It is also an accepted fact that there is only one vitamin deficiency in plants and fruits which is B12 and that has only arisen as man has migrated to big cities and stopped consuming dirt from the backyard.

So one choice is risk free and you know that what you are eating is good for your body and the other is a crap shoot. At my age I will go with risk free, thank you.

• Baller

@So_I_Ski Just a few points:

The issues that you presented with animal products are just as man-made as the ones that include vegetables, namely big-scale, human intervention.

A vegan diet is clearly not a risk-free choice, particularly in the more immediate time, than an omnivore, balanced diet. Personally, the evidence that has always convinced me the most is the striking damage that a vegan diet does during early developmental years.

Something being "risk free" is not the same as being "good for your body"

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

@bkreis your statement "plants digest easier than meat. hmmm" is a very poor, you can do better lol... with that thought process we should eat candy and other high sugar 'foods' as they rocket through our body. If we followed digestion rate as a marker for diet then nuts should be stricken off the list also. I do agree dairy in any nature is something we should NOT consume.

@So_I_Ski if one can source clean food, not "organic" labelled product from the store (as the "organic" label is not as clean as it is perceived or sold to be) our long term health issues should be greatly reduced. But all of us cannot facilitate growing or raising our own food. If the masses go further into eating a vegetarian or vegan diet as @Luzz said we (humans) will screw that all up in the name of mass production and desire for cheaper product.

My non-scientific single anecdote ... I went vegan and lost 15 lbs (I was in good shape even before). I've never felt better. Mentally and physically.

But much like others making the lifestyle change ... it was part of a big lifestyle change which included giving up booze, and starting 2 hours of exercise daily training for a triathlon. So is hard to separate causation from correlation.

• Baller

@bkreis my point was using digestion rates is a ridiculously poor measurement to decide whether food is good for you or not, as I stated, based on that theory nuts should be off the healthy list.

Eggs take 30-45 min to digest, similar to some greens. Sooo we have an animal protein, with easily and unequivocally the highest biological value, and just as fast digesting...

The other thing to watch is most of the digestion rates of vegetables are based on COOKED/Steamed veggies, which diminishes the nutrient value compared to raw.

Using digestion rates to qualify a foods positivism is very poor, and one would be hard pressed to find any scientific report verifying a foods digestion rate as the directive to base a diet on. Just because some foods digest at a different rate does not make it a poor choice.