Heater for tow boat

sagilbert

• Baller
I recently purchased a 2009 S/N 196 that does not have a heater. I installed a heater on a previous boat, and it was pretty much a PITA to install. That said, is there a portable electric heater out there that might work reasonably well in a towboat environment? With the previous boat, we used the heater for, perhaps, 15 -18 days (total) each season. Thus, the inconvenience of having a small portable heater sitting in front of the driver would not be a big deal. We ski on a private ski lake (one boat out at a time). Thus, a portable heater should stay stable, with very little rock & roll. Thanks for any insights you may have.

• Baller
Anything plugged into an accessory circuit usually can't draw more than 10 Amps. Assuming 15V, you've got 150W or 511 BTU to work with. Hot water heaters are 20,000 to 40,000 BTU. An electric one would barely do anything. Installing my 40,000 btu heater was a nice winter project and I'm sure glad I have it on those few days a year I need it.

• Baller_
I think you would need some sort of 110/125 volt inverter to provide more than 12V DC accessory power to an electric heater substantial enough to make a difference. Probably something like a 2000 watt inverter to power a 1500 watt AC powered heater. Both components would need to be marine rated and the output amperage of the inverter would probably need to be about 15 amps. I'm guessing that the inverter component could be expensive.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I'm dating myself but years ago Malibu had this interesting heater ( or scavenger ) that was basically a fan on the engine box that sucked the heat from under the cover and expelled it forward. Free heat. I thought it was a great idea but was discontinued. Someone had told me it was an issue involving the USCG or some regulatory agency over safety.

• Baller

@EFW great way to expose the boat crew to CO fumes. Leaky heater boxes on a Porsche did the same thing.

If you want really good heat you need to take a line off the block through a coolant recirculation pump to a heater core. Most of these systems stink because they don't use a pump to circulate coolant.

• Baller
+1 for "Just go ahead and install the Heatercraft". It only takes a long afternoon, and after the first hole is cut, the pucker factor goes down significantly. Being able to stuff that heater tube up your shirt after a chilly set is well worth it imo.

• Baller
@Horton you need to configure your tubes and air dams correctly but heater makes a huge difference if you do. On my Response LX, if you wedge a fleece jacket or some towels or something between the driver and observer seat, you get a nice warm vortex of hot air even at 34 MPH from a single heat tube by the driver's feet. I also have a tube for passengers which works great if you combine it with a blanket. Outside of Florida, heater is a must-have IMO even moreso than seat heaters or a shower.

• Baller
I have a 08 196 I plan to install a heater in it this spring. I was pleasantly surprised to find wiring under the dash in my Limited for the heater. After adding a heater and hot/cold shower to my 99 MasterCraft SportStar I know the installs can be a pain. For my heater install, I plan to add a small electric pump to circulate hot water through the heater core, when the engine is off or idling. I probably won’t be adventurous enough to install a vent in front of the dash for a defroster. I have used seat heaters in ski boats as well, they don’t replace the hot air heaters for your feet.

• Baller

One other thing I do if it's real cold and I don't have a third pax in the boat is stuff the heat tube into my jacket, inside the towel I have wrapped around my waist, etc.

Gets really toasty if you wear something like a heavy baggy fleece over your damp wetsuit, then stick the heat tube inside your jacket. Great way to keep the muscles and body nice and warm between sets.

• Baller
Sorry to go against the grain here but I'd NOT install a heater at all. Invariably they leak which can lead to a variety of problems. Have never had one that didn't. Thrown them all away. Plenty of other ways to stay warm for the short time of a winter set.

• Baller
The heater is probably the best mod I've made to the boat since I've had it. Installed it in 1998 Sportstar in 2015 with no leaks yet. Did away with the 'Y' fitting after two years and plumbed the return into the circulation pump with a $50 12 volt boost pump. One outlet blows directly on driver's feet; the extension hose on the other outlet goes in wife's lap with beach towel over it. Makes the apres ski slow cruise way better. Tried a portable heating pad on driver's seat but couldn't really feel it through wet suit.

• Baller
Was out on a chilly morning this morning here in AZ. The aforementioned heater works great. Second trick is to fill a cooler with the hottest water you can before heading out. Keep gloves in there with a small scoop or cup to dump into bindings, into wetsuits, etc.

• Baller
@Horton I swear by heaters in boats. With fresh water cooling, they work great if you install the Y pipe Heatercraft makes. Take the pull out hose and place it under your towel, and you'll stay nice and toasty on a cold WI day. In tandem with seat heaters and your golden!

• Baller
Thanks for the various suggestions. I suppose putting a new fresh water heater in is the way to go, but I found the battery operated heater jacket and portable shower quite intriguing. Of course, the wood stove beside the driver would do a better job than all of those!