Do we all talk about water skiing the wrong way?

Horton

• Administrators

This is an unfinished idea. Perhaps this is the seed of an idea. Forgive me if it is not flushed out.

We all talk about water skiing the wrong way. I talk about water skiing the wrong way. This forum talks about water skiing the wrong way. We talk about how terrible it is that boats cost too much and how hard it is to be a skier. Perhaps we are doing way more damage than good when we do that.

Water skiing is a sport for the wealthy and the lucky. If you are a skier you are lucky. If you have a 20 year old 196 or a 2020 ProStar you are living the dream. Maybe it is a struggle but you ( we ) are doing it. Hell! I have two ProStars in my driveway at the moment. How cool is that?

You ever hear Polo players complaining about the cost of horse trailers? No they complain about the availability of 1968 Dom Perignon because they get to play Polo!

Water skiing is a lifestyle that others should aspire to be a part of. Because of water skiing I have met billionaires (countless millionaires), movie stars, and real famous pro athletes. Perhaps my personal experience is unique but go to the starting dock at any big ski event and you will be with some pretty interesting and successful people.

I am not saying that anyone should act like the The Rich Kids Of Instagram but if you have found a way to be a skier then are living better than most. Furthermore if you actually ski on a modest income, then you are really doing better than most. I mean how awesome is the ski lifestyle?

• Baller
I agree that the ski lifestyle is awesome But I think to say this is a successful person sport only is a disservice to where we all came from. When I bought my first brand new nautique in 1996, I did it on a $36,000/year salary($58k in today's dollars). Fast forward 24 years, I make far, far more than that and the price for a new nautique even gives me pause. There is zero way for a $58k salary today to get into a new boat. The majority of us got into this sport before we were successful. Now that we've priced those same people that WE used to be out, it comes off as a little bit elitist to try and justify that. Just my .02.

• Administrators

@ForrestGump the sport is stupid expensive for most skiers but it is what it is.

If you get to participate then celebrate. That is all I am saying.

• Baller
I think another unique aspect of the sport, given that it is relatively small, is that on a forum like this you have world ranked professional skiers interacting with fans, giving advice/recommendations and their thoughts on the sport. Whenever I see a big name in the sport commenting on this forum I personally think that is pretty special.

• Baller

I think that as slalom skiers we generally have a twisted view as described by some, but aspirational by us. For example, I remember speaking with a fellow skier at the start dock and he had convinced a surfer or windsurfer friend to come to a tournament. His friend described all the skiers as an angry bunch, no one was coming out of the water happy, everyone wanted one more buoy, one more pass, just more.

The reality is that most of us have learned to enjoy the ride because we know that the course always wins. We enjoy our sets, our seasons, and skiing with our friends. But we want more, and consequently, we are critical, demanding, and results oriented. Every once in a while, we pour a drink, reflect, and enjoy it.

• Baller

My friend that I ski with most often is a great guy who goes out almost every day to ski during the ski season. At the end of each run (we usually free ski) he climbs in the boat and says, “I love this sport.” I’ve tried to do that too. Every time. We are blessed to live in a time where we have access great equipment, great advice from others and even pros (!!!), and of you want to I believe you can ski as much as you want. It is a great sport that is full of community, family, friends and just plain fun.

I love this sport!

• Baller_

I can and will ski on a modest..really modest budget. It's hard work, creative thinking and a touch of don't care if it's not perfect. Used gear, boats, even used pressure treated wood for my dock. Fixer upper house complete. I've skied into 39, ran it once in practice (don't care ...it counts in my book) and live on a lake that ski time is literally anytime. Not a rich mans sport. The dream is real.

Case and point. What's pictured below was the composit top to a used picnic table with aluminum framing and screws. With a little work and vision, it's now a killer platform with a knock off brand SeaDeck. Total investment..under $100.

As a side note.. I half thought the title of the thread meant @Horton was gonna finally admit that announcing rope length by what's wadded up in the bottom of the boat at major tournaments in the public eye is the dumbest thing ever in our sport.

ey144tzsshif.jpeg

a42xak5w8b9h.jpeg

bajy8qqrh6nk.png

rlb3nl1ao1tr.png

d83ofiwsy1ic.png

I am 30 years old and have been skiing for 3 years. I have a 98 196 and have access to a new prostar and nautique. I make things work on a modest budget, but have still had some unreal experiences because I ski (like Horton said). I have met Freddie, cp, manon, Corey Vaughn, ellie Horton, Bob Marley (comedian). I have phone numbers for t Moye and Rini. Potentially going to ski radar with brooks this year. In what world can a terrible “athlete” have access to this kind of stuff? I feel so blessed to be able to do these things, I am definitely living better than most. We are all extremely lucky to be able to ski and be a part of this sport.

• Baller_
Living in a house is actually having more than over ~80% of the rest of the world. Owning a pleasure boat is more than ~90-95% of the rest of the world. I think everybody that is able to ski is doing quite well and is blessed. I love this sport...but its time to wax those other skis.

• Baller
A newb reading this site might get a skewed perspective of the sport not realizing they are listening to a bunch of addicts discussing the minutiae of their obsession. When I meet a new skier it's much more about the fun we're having. I guess it depends on the audience.

• Baller_
? @Horton not sure how 100% agreeing with you is missing the point. "Further more, if you ski on a modest income, then you are really doing better then most". Yep. That's my point. If a schmuck like me can pull it off, this awesome sport is open to just about anyone to join in. To me "celebrating" the sport is letting others know it's doable.

• Baller
Everyone keeps talking about how expensive skiing is, it doesn't have to be. You can buy a 80's direct drive all day around here for $3-5000 and show up at any public access lake and ski your ass off all day. Around my house you have a choice of a least 15 -20 lakes and some like ours even have a course. Go on ski-it-again and you can pick up equipment at a reasonable price. Hell, I ski on a private lake with only 4 other guys and it cost me less than $3000 a year. I guess if you have to ski behind a new boat and on a new ski it does get pretty expensive but there are alternatives.

• Administrators

as I said in the original post this is not a fully formed idea. maybe the thrust should be more awesome lifestyle regardless of how you do it and what you spend to do it. I mean holy crap I hope you guys don't think I'm making pant loads of money running this website. The bottom line is however you're involved in the sport it's awesome. 20 year old boat or current boat it's all awesome.

If I started this thread sounding like this is a class system that's not what I meant at all.

I love the waterskiing lifestyle activity. I would call it more of an activity more than a lifestyle due to not enough time on the water. We are recreational free skiers, I ski, wakeboard, wakeskate - whatever I can whenever I get a chance. I love bringing kids and newbees out to have a go - they all love it too - doing my bit to pass-the-handle I guess, as others did for me years ago.

Others may have flasher boats and gear and more time on the water which i have no issues with - I’m having a great time, just wish I could do more.

• Baller

I love the lifestyle. Damn...just put me in a ski boat. Let me hear the exhaust bubble under the platform. The smell, the sounds, the feel of standing on something that moves a little with the shift of your weight.

Being a kid, riding in the back of my brother's car listening to "Money for Nothing" on our way to the river, towing a metal flake speed boat behind.

Being an older kid, hoping my Dad could take the afternoon off. It's sunny, it's not too windy...damn I hope we can go to the river today!

The glass...remember how seeing glass makes you feel when you pull up to a lake. It made you feel one way as a free skier, but now envision that glass with a bullet straight course on it in the early morning sun. Maybe a tourney...before the first round where there's "smoke on the water" and the anticipation is there, chilly air and all...checking the running order and your judging assignments.

Maybe going out in your boat after a long day at work, drink in hand walking toward the end of the dock. Stick it in gear, throw on some blues and just enjoy the environment...wave to the folks on shore or on the beach who all wish they were doing what you are doing right now.

Ski a set at 6 a.m. with your best ski buddy, wipe the boat, put it up, and sit silently on the bench at the end of the dock for a few minutes. Blue herons, pelicans, glass calm water. We always called that our moment of "serenity", then go to work. Those years at "the swamp" were special.

Having your brother wake you up at sunrise. Of course he's been panting like a dog at the window for some time now and had breakfast and coffee. He wakes you up cold and it's time to ski. Good thing he can ski a 30 pass set so I can drink that travel mug of coffee he handed me on the way to the dock...now it's my turn to match him (in lines...there's no way I ski 30 passes!)

Remember the first tourney PB? I worked so hard for that 28 off pass at 36...was crushing it in practice. In a video my brother said as I pulled out for the gates "He wants this so bad he can taste it". Ripped that thing, got a few at 32 and was able to swing in near the starting dock and finish on my knees in 6 inches of water...everyone was cheering. I was SO hooked.

Yeah it's a lifestyle...hell it's been my life(how lucky), and we should "sell it" like surfing does. Horton, thanks for providing a site for us junkies to hang around.

• Baller

@Horton I think your statement "Water skiing is a sport for the wealthy and the lucky" is half right. Waterskiers are all lucky but not all waterskiers are what I consider "wealthy". Maybe you don't see low income participants like you do in other sports like disc golf and basketball, but it's not exclusive like polo.

I think the biggest restriction to participation in this sport is access to water. There's probably a lot of wealthy people in New Mexico and Los Angeles that wish they had access to water they can ski on.

• Baller

Except for the tournament part, 6balls completely summed it up for me. Let's hang out at the lake with ANY boat. If it's a direct drive inboard, even better! I have just as much fun skiing at 0600 as I do slowly cruising the lakes at 1500 with friends and family. I'll never be that good, but it's still an absolute thrill every time I get on the platform. I keep our boat in the attached garage, so I see it multiple times a day. I still pinch myself seeing a 2007 Ski Nautique in there. Hard to believe. It is a great lifestyle, and the actual skiing is less than half of the thrill I get from owning a boat, and having access to lakes.

I do agree that you can get into the sport for a relatively small amount of money, but I also think younger families are really busy, and don't have a ton of money to throw around (at least in the area I live). I've invited many people from work to go skiing for the day. Just show up, and I'll provide everything else. They would have to drive about 60 miles one way. A few have taken me up on the offer. I also know for a fact that the gas money for them to drive back and forth for the day is not something they take lightly. So, even buying a $5,000 inboard is not something they would do anytime soon.

• Administrators

@DaveD what I meant to say was the "wealthy and / or the lucky" . I am not sure lucky is the right adjective. I mean I am not wealthy and I feel like I worked hard to get to where I'm at but I am pretty lucky that it all worked out.

As a marketing guy, I guess I'm just thinking that I wish we all talked about water skiing as something other people should aspire to be a part of. There are a lot of conversations in this forum about how we should make it easier & less expensive for access and those are important goals and conversations that I 110% agree with.

The flip side is I just don't know if the sport as a whole does a very good at showing off and making people on the outside wish they were on the inside.

• Baller
@Horton I think its normal to feel "lucky" when in fact, one has often worked very, very hard to achieve this lifestyle. When you get to where you want to be (home on a lake, Ski boat on a covered lift, slalom course, great friends to share it all with), I sometimes forget all the sacrifices it took to get here.

• Baller

For the past 35 years my wife and 4 kids have taken a week each summer and rented a house on the Columbia river near Wenatchee Wa. We spend the week skiing from dawn to dusk. The kids have brought numerous friends with them as well as having friends show up. I can’t count the number that have skied or wakeboarded (sorry?) for the first time behind our boat. Best week of the year by far being to spend time with the family.

Now the kids have all grown up 3 of 4 are married and 2 have 2 kids each but they still want to come spend the week with my wife and me on the river.

The kids all went through the wakeboard stage and wouldn’t touch a slalom ski. Now things have come around and they all slalom!?

The rest of the year we ski on a public lake near us (Big lake) on weekends and some evenings after work.

The past 6 years I have had the fortune to ski with 3 of the greatest guys. Not only are they great skiers but they are 3 of my best friends and all are super, caring and giving people . Just ask @Rednucleus .We rent 2 hrs a week at a private lake (Bow lake). We call ourselves “the Wednesday night men’s dinner club” we ski our brains out for 2 plus hrs then share a potluck dinner together. Best day of the week!

My wife and I have always owned a boat and always will. Our current boat is a 2002 Malibu Sunsetter Lxi We don’t make a ton of money but make things work . Skiing is a big part of our life. From the family time to the friends we have met can’t beat this.

Sorry for the long winded post. Got started and couldn’t stop?

• Baller

I love the sport as a skier, what it does for my mental and physical fitness and pure joy and entertainment. That is enough. But the best part is the people, atmosphere and culture. We are the lucky ones. Some people around me find this in other sports or activities, but for me it doesn’t compare.

And it does happen on all budgets. Yesterday at our semi public local site, we had skiers roll up in a Ferrari 488 down to vehicles worth less than $10k, and everything in between. On the dock it doesn’t mater what you do or what you drove, we all love to ski.

• Baller

@Horton I think lucky is the proper term. Even with the hard work that everyone on this forum does to participate in this sport, luck is also a factor. You were lucky to be introduced to this sport by your dad. I was lucky to work with a few dedicated skiers that got me into skiing the course.

I'm guessing your goal for this thread is to get everyone minimize negative comments about the sport so we don't look like a bunch of spoiled brats? If so, I think that's a mistake.

The great things about this forum is that it's read by equipment manufacturers, pro skiers, and skiing organizations all over the world. Those positive and negative comments are usually good feedback to those groups. Feedback that could initial positive change.

• Baller

Going back to @Horton comment about how we talk about our sport... if I was to pick one word to summarize water skiers in general and and this forum in particular, it would be “more”. Not fun, serene, challenging, family, etc.

I love this sport but didn’t grow up behind a DD nor chasing buoys. I love every minute that I’m on the water, no matter what I’m doing.

When I was finally able to get a DD, I joined this forum. You all have been awesome in helping me improve. That’s the positive side.

However, language we use, the technical detail, and the seemingly arcane minutiae that is passionately argued is definitely something to get used to and is very intimidating.

I LOVE this forum, and our sport...but if I didn’t, I’m not sure we are welcoming enough that I’d join in as a noob and feel like this is a community that I can grow with. I agree that we could potentially talk about our sport in a way that makes it more approachable.

• Baller
@horton I should want to waterski to meet rich people?? wtf? Just because I waterski I live better than most?? Better how? What is better? I do not subscribe to this idea, that is not why I do it. It is not some kind of marketing competition for me.

• Administrators

@wawaskr

No, you should not ski to meet rich people. That is not what I am saying at all. (see original post where I stated this is not a flushed out idea)

I do think that if you are a skier you have a better lifestyle than most. There are other really cool things you could doing with your time but you choose to do this. If you are able to do motor sports or hang out at the beach every weekend or whatever your lifestyle is better than most.

Part of what started me thinking about his is that every time a new ski/boat/glove/rope/cost comes out everyone carps endlessly about the new cost. I say if the price of the new crap is out of your budget don't get it but shut up and enjoy the stuff you have.

The family with a 20 year old boat and has course on a back cove on a public lake is living as large as the guys with the 2020 boat on a private lake. I mean "Water Skiing F*** Yeah!"

I also think that it is hard to get to do this sport a lot so those of us involved are lucky in some way. It is a privilege to be a skier.

• Baller
@horton basically you are describing a dying sport. Cost of new boats are not high because there is some new fangled material or technology, it is because they don't sell any. The big 3 know exactly how many they will move any particular year divided by costs + profits = bingo (high costs). Same applies for skis, equipment, etc. I agree we are privileged to do it, but wouldn't use the phrase “my lifestyle is better than most”. Sound elitist to me, and frankly quite subjective.

• Administrators

@wawaskr What you said above is exactly what I am talking about. When we talk about the sport with a total glass 1/2 empty POV it sounds like it sucks. Who would want to be a part of a dying activity? There is no access and the gear costs too much so no one should get involved?

I am not elitist at all. Ask the folks who know me personally. I am sure there is a better way to say this but "if the non-skiing public envies what we do they are more likely to want to join us". Bitching about the cost of boats and gear creates a negative feedback loop that sells less boats and gear and makes it even more expensive.

• Baller

Not sure the goal of this thread but when I go out in public, generally speaking I feel like I’m on the “better off” end of the society scale. When I come on this board I’m the poorest mofo on here to the 10th power multiplied by 3.5. Maybe some are just big shots on the internet.

I think the perspective of water skiing is set by the manufacturers and the governing body of waterskiing.

Skiers are the strangest people I’ve ever met. Typically lacking social skills but have a neurotic technical minded side.

This is the only sport that I know of where the elite top athletes are very commonly involved and available for the pee-on’s Like myself, whether it’s on the dock, on the internet or just a phone call away. That I think is pretty cool.

• Baller
Marcus Brown does a great job with the flow point videos. Presenting waterskiing to his viewers in a way that shows outsiders what lake life is like. There’s so much about the “experience” that is hard to convey to somebody who has never experienced it. I think for many of us it’s more than just the skiiing. It’s the people, the lake, the memories, the sights, the sounds, the moment it all comes together on the water. Maybe it’s a new PB, maybe it’s watching your kids get up for the first time, or maybe it’s the exercise. Maybe it’s different for all of us, but there’s something special about it that keeps us all coming back. Maybe we should be telling those who are unfamiliar with the sport that they can experience all of that too.

• Baller

@Horton you finally said it right!

@dano and @BlueSki i completely agree. I mentioned this is the rise and fall of waterskiiing. Sell the lifestyle, the skill and true passion will come after. I also have no clue what no waterskiiers / cottagers do on the weekend!?!!

I also talk about the lifestyle at work and with others; almost never mention buoys; just how much fun i am having. :)

• Baller
This dips into the classic "what's the goal" discussion, but part of what makes the sport cool is that when you show up to a public lake at 6AM after a hard week at work you're the only one doing it. Can you imagine there being some huge line of boats trying to put in to "experience" this great activity along with you? You'd get to "share" this wonderful experience as you sat around bobbing in rollers, maybe not even getting to ski that morning. No thanks. As long as we can sustain what we've got, I'm happy. Let those that don't get it continue to not get it.

• Baller
Everything waterskiing is the best! Safest sport in the world! Slalom courses are available everywhere. All skiers are awesome! Anything you want is available just go use it! Boats are free from the government? Just fill out form 3-38-34-ZO in triplicate. Checks in the mail! Where is the fun in that?

• Baller
@jhughes I have to admit that I think the same sometimes.... Our recreational ski lake has a course and allows us to use it on weekends where other boats have to yield for us until 10am. We actively promote 3 event skiing with all of the kids on the lake. Because of this, there is now 4-5 boats waiting in line for sets every weekend morning. We are very lucky to have access to water like this. In my opinion, access to "good" water is the number one problem for the growth of our sport. Many states have plenty of public lakes... But many more do not.

• Baller

This might be the most worthwhile thread on this site in at least the past year. I firmly believe that part (not all, maybe not most, but part) of the sports decline is due to culture. That culture has to do with how we talk about the sport. If I talk to an avid mountain biker or snow skier I will hear about fun people, good exercise, beautiful places, etc. If I talk to a skier I don't hear that (some do, but I would argue most don't speak that way about the sport). I hear about how expensive and terrible the new boat is and how bad the driver was at the last tournament or how the current wind is 3.2mph out of the south west and you can't ski anything beyond 3.178645237 mph out of the SW. I also hear about AARP, ED, and hip replacements, when your 35, that is a conversation you don't want to have on the dock. As skiers I don't believe we generally communicate very well (this is coming from a scientist who hangs with engineers).

I want to be positive because negativity brings me down. I want to encourage others to ski so I have someone to ski with in 30 years. I don't want free government boats. I don't want to lie. Skiing takes some dedication and some amount of expendable income. We don't need to spout sunshine and unicorn farts, but we could try to be less negative.

• Baller

Where is the "non-skiing" public hearing all this bitching you talk about @Horton ? On this site? How many non-skiers frequent this board and read enough of this forum to get that impression? Honest question. I don't know the answer but my guess is not many.

Is this really a problem? I think I see the point, we don't want to run off skiers before they get interested. I'd argue the bigger problem is getting them interested at all.

• Administrators

@jhughes I started a poll based on your comments above. I am really curious what the results are going to be.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/22941/how-much-use-does-the-slalom-course-closest-to-your-house-get-used

Every time I read someone say that they do not want more skiers in the sport because that will hurt their access I shake my head. I think you have it exactly wrong. It is pure supply and demand. ( I am going to way over simplify this ) When a public lake or club lake is too busy that is when new public sites are found and or when private sites are built (or sadly this is when the less committed do something else ). Every part of the country is different but here in Central / Southern California we are in a state of massive over supply. I know a some of areas have the exact opposite problem.

• Administrators
@ski6jones This thread may have more legs than it deserves. The original idea came from a marketing idea I had for a client. Why not market the sport as a luxury even if you have a 20 year old boat. The whole "Life on the Water" thing is really the same as what I am saying.

• Baller

I've been thinking about this since the rise and fall of water skiing thread. Too many pieces to have one opinion. Are we talking about participation in pro tournaments, watching pro tournaments, AWSA membership, serious but not national caliber ballers, or weekend warriors, just having fun getting tugged around by a boat. I got too confused in my own mind to formulate a contribution to that thread. I think this one narrowed it down.

Skiing is too elite and expensive is one opinion. That is, if you are either a high end skier and need a $100,000 boat and a $2000 ski or you are a keep up with the Joneses kind of guy that thinks, well, I just started skiing or want to learn, so I need to go buy the above mentioned equipment. Lots of members on here are serious ballers, so I understand the bias toward better stuff. However, do you have to be a baller to enjoy water skiing. I admit it, I'm old school, 65 y.o. Been skiing since about 1964. We and lots of people on our lake had fun being dragged around behind 65 HP or less 15 or 16 ft outboards. Had a lot of fun.

OK fast forward 50 years. I admit it, that 65 HP outboard is going to be pretty limiting, (tho could still be fun for a lot of people, why not, it was back then) Say you want a better ski boat. I have been on CorrectCraftFan for 16 years now. Site caters to, tho not exclusively, more vintage boats. Lots of 60s-70s-80s Nautiques and sister boats. We get together a lot and I have seen, ridden in and skied behind a lot of older boats. You can by a heck of a 2001 (an 82 to 89 Nautique) for about $7000, and you can have a ton of fun behind one, even do real skiing (ask the lapoints, or whoever else was around then). I like to ski, a lot. Never had much exposure to a course, but love to free ski and barefoot. Have had a few boats, usually what I thought I could comfortably afford at the time. A big block jet boat in the early 80s for about $4000, a new 16' Baja with a 115 from early 80s to 96. A $10,500 1989 Supra comp from 96 to 2008, a $4000 Correct Craft Ski Tique from 2004 to 2019. And now I have a 1996 176, I thought that ski tique would be my last boat, but never say never. But I could do a lot behind it, had a ton of fun behind it. It really didnt hold me back, other than not being a "course boat" but I get little to no exposure to courses. I like to think I've come along ok, despite not having the latest and greatest of equipment.

ay2jgfx4udgt.jpg

So, since getting a little more serious about skiing and wanting a little more course time, I got the 176. Certainly didnt break the bank and for most of us, a heck of a ski boat.

I think you can have a heck of a lot of fun, and even become an pretty respectable baller without being an elitist, or going into debt up to your eyeballs, or even spending a small fortune when you are lucky (or talented, smart, hardworking) enough to easily afford it.

• Baller
I was lucky to find a house on a ski lake for less than a track home in the city i lived in. Its almost doubled in value now though. Im only 40 minutes or so away from where we were. There are some drawbacks living where we do now, but the benefits outweigh them. My kids are loving it , they not only ski, but ride horses, go carts , mini bike and so on.

• Baller

"Part of what started me thinking about his is that every time a new ski/boat/glove/rope/cost comes out everyone carps endlessly about the new cost. I say if the price of the new crap is out of your budget don't get it but shut up and enjoy the stuff you have."

Yes @Horton. This!!!

I also snowmobile. In the snowmobiling world we have been privileged in the last 3 months to see the manufacturers develop for us probably the best youth snowmobile in a long time with the first ever (in the snowmobile world) single cylinder EFI engine as well as the first ever stock factory 2 stroke turbo. Incredible Innovations!!!

But what do you know. Here come all the broke jokers out of the woodwork. All they want to do is bag on the kids sled that costs $8.5k because they could never afford it. All they want to do is bag on the stock sled that costs $18k because they could never afford it. It just wreaks of jealousy, envy, and sour grapes.

I see the same thing here, but to a much lesser extent, which is good.

In the same few months, I've also had Dave Ramsey preaching to me a lot about the word "contentment". I really think that contentment and gratitude are at the heart of where we all need to strive to be. We need to count our blessing that we get to ski at all, whether we are on a 40 year old outboard and a $50 ski off craigslist on a public reservoir or whether we are in a 3 million dollar house on a pristine private lake with a 6 figure boat and a $3k ski. The key is to find the joy that skiing can bring you at whatever level you can afford it and just be grateful and enjoy the ride, and maybe just as importantly, the time spent with our fellow humans each time we go out and ski. That's one of the best parts about skiing is that you can't do it alone. You HAVE to be making a friend while you are skiing, whether you like it or not, which is good for many of us techy guys who would otherwise be hermits if left to our own devices.

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox now. Overall I think you're really on the right path though.

• Baller

Love it @escmanaze !!

It reminds me of when I did Triathlons. I had a Work friend who was a zealout, but made it sound like everyone could do one. He organized a bunch of people at work to do a sprint. I signed up, what the heck! He went through how to build training programs. Asked how it was going, was super encouraging and positive. He hosted lunch sessions about equipment, transitions, heart rate training, recovery, Pre-race preparation, etc. He used novice terms and made everything understandable. A couple days before the Race he held a lunch to hype everyone up, talk about the course, parking, packet pickup. At the race he finished first then stood at the finish yelling encouragement and grabbing others as they came in to do the same. Afterwards he made a memorial paper “plaque” with the times and a funny anecdote for all participants. It was cool and it kicked off 7 yrs of tri’s for me that ended only cuz I got back into waterskiing.

Compare that to my other work friend who did iron man’s. He qualified for Kona every year and was consistently in contention for the podium within his age group. He said everyone should do a tri, but talked about 20-30 hours/week commitment, the USAT, the race officials and organizers, the cost of his bike, and his lack of personal life, his injuries...uggh.

I ended up beating the zealout after my 3rd year, but that didn’t matter to him, or me.

You would think the more elite and committed athlete would draw more people into the sport, but for me it was the opposite. If I had met the iron man first there is no way I would’ve Tri’d. Each of us should ask which one we are more like.