What Ropes are you using this year!

teammalibu

• Baller_

USA waterski should have one rope type and require that it be used at all events. Ropes should be listed on the event page so that the skier knows what ropes to practice with leading up to the event.

My choice is the new ML opt.

• Baller
ML Optimized... it's a no-brainer. Top quality and always innovating, looking to find ways to make the sport better. The entire product line reflects this. Made in the USA (including the weaving/braiding of the line/yarn), right here in Central Florida. Plus, when you support Masterline, you are supporting families who have been consistent givers to tournament water skiing for many decades.

• Baller

I am still using my ML Opt. From last year and have no issues! Talked to Randy at ML and he said the hard hitters out of the bouy should be happier with the new Opt. rope!

That’s what we will be using at the Ridge! Sad to report our hardest hitter is out for the season with a torn Rotator Cuff!

Thanks @Drew that’s what I was hoping to hear!

• Baller
Any chance Masterline will make the optimized rope with the traditional shortening sections? Not everyone likes the slide loop system - it is more difficult to use and slower. I realize that may be a personal dislike that not everyone shares.

• Baller

@dbutcher Agreed that if enough people request it, they may make it a regularly option. But to dave2ball's point.....they have a lot of option to customize their products that aren't listed on the website if you give them a call. Not necessarily special treatment, just good customer service.

• Baller
I’ve been more than happy with the Radar Vapor rope. I have 2 of them. I don’t know that I’m good enough for the difference between the Vapor line and the ML to matter. I ran 1 buoy off my practice PB in a tournament on the ML Opt late last season, so I’m pretty consistent bouncing between the 2 ropes

• Baller
I still think that essential no difference between rope, i may ski with a In tow, Lou Alcomo and ML ropes in the same week or day. No difference to me, though Lou’s seem to last the longest, ML the biggest pain to change loops, In Tow, colored sections.

• Baller

+1 on what @JackQ said about the Lou Alcomo ropes. I can't seem to wear out the ropes I have from Lou. He even made a rope for my ski buddy running PP with the switch (removable 1/2 meter loop). Skied it today.

I also have a ML Optimized.

• Baller_

@gmut, I have a Mackavich rope, in addition to the official Masterline Optimized. I wish Joe's ropes would be the official USA Water Ski ropes for Regionals and Nationals. Very, very good and long lasting. His rope material is excellent and just the right amount of stretch/spring.

Joe also restrung a handle for me a couple years ago at a super price. It is excellent and wears like iron, plus he included some sleeves to further protect it that are awesome.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Administrators
@unksskis I do not know that answer to your question but Masterline is the standard. It is what most skiers practice with and what you will get at most tournaments. I do not know the last time I skied a tournament where Masterline was not the rope. If you think ropes are important and you want to practice with what you will get at a tournament then you need to practice with a current Masterline.

• Baller
Definitely agree they are the standard @Horton , and I am fortunate to usually train with a ML. Have they become the standard due to performance, tournament support, or both? I would say both. And if anyone wants a different brand, that brand will likely need to "support" their way into being used. I always find it interesting the amount of jumpers that use non-ML ropes, as they seem to be the standard for that as well.

• Baller
@Dylan_wick I have not skied my 2.0 yet. I’ve heard it’s been better for the larger skiers (not me). I replace my rope yearly as I think everyone should. My 1.0 has around 100 sets and 2 tournaments on it but was still “feeling fresh” at the end of last season.

• Baller
Masterline is also Made In USA. All of our ropes utilize yarn made in the USA. We are still manufacturing now and shipping. Retail is closed at this time, but curbside pickup is available. Thanks for your support.

• Baller

I will ski on the "old" Masterline from last year that is still in pretty good shape, and I have a new one from last year that is still in zip tie package.

If I was skiing in tourneys, I would probably be on the newest stuff and running single puck ZO versus still using our dual puck system until failure.

• Baller
In-Tow ropes and handles. Ordering a Masterline Gen 2 rope to use the week before a tournament, the feel is a little different. This was going to be my first year competing even payed for two, :already received my money back. Hopefully I will get to ski in one this year

• Baller
I really think you can't get a better rope for the money then HO's Syndicate rope. It is literally half the cost of anyone elses and the quality is just as good. Asher wouldn't use it if it wasn't as good as anything else out there.