What you building while holed up?

Jody_Seal

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Building 2 more offices in the house. Finally done - now there are 4 of them. I already had one and My son had a desk in his room which was good enough for his Electrical Engineering job.

My wife and daughter needed their own spaces (teacher and college student). One used to be a spare bedroom and the other is a the old sewing area in the laundry room.

guyyj344upa8.jpg

s06oo13i2i1a.jpg

• Baller

@dbski I know your skis! Since 2008 that I was at the waterski fantasy camp and you have given them one as give away. Didn’t win it but I wish I had, really like the skis you are making! I’m at the other side of the Atlantic, so a little far away to buy one or to send you mine for engraving. Plus I like working on stuff all the time.

If You can help me with what to look for, engraving option or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

By the way your hot rod project is so cool, I have great respect of your craftsmanship.

• Baller

@ReallyGottaSki it’s just sanded, still lots to do. I like satin too, so I’m taking this as an advice, don’t like super gloss either.

I found it online new for €40, cheap bindings and plastic fin screwed on the bottom. Bought it to make a decorative ski out of it 5 years ago, started working on it few days ago.

• Baller_
@skimtb - 290 lbs as I have been pretty aggressive with wt reduction on it. It came out with a leaky $2 rear main seal that's when the short block was changed ... hp is ~500, guess I got carried away:-)

• Baller
@BraceMaker I’m gonna do a compression check in a little bit. Hoping it’s the head gasket. I just picked up the boat Saturday, so it’s an unknown. I may end up doing a Excal with ZO swap on it. So bad news/good news situation, right? It’s just money

• Baller

So I've been playing with something (not skis) but plaster models made with pex running through them. Recirculating heated liquid through the pipes. There are 200 degree prepreg materials and brewing pumps can handle the heated liquid. In this manner your whole mold can be prepped, laid up, vacuum bagged. Then connected to heat and wrapped for insulation. A standard grill thermometer can be installed into the mold by drilling a hole and as such you can increase the heat and circulation of the fluid until the mold reaches your desired cure hold temp. Hit the timer. Once the temp is held at cure temp for indicated time you can turn off the heat source and let the pump recirculate fluid and ramp down your temp at whatever rate.

My system currently stinks. Turkey burner and a brewing kettle means I need to do burner control manually. I can pretty much kick on the burner and the pump and ramp up under burner but once I hit a boil I need to stick around to adjust for temps.

Have tried a sous vide heater but it didn't have the btu for my heat loss. I'm looking at other ways to keep the heat in longer. The other aspect I'm running into is that I'm using water and pex. The resins would cure out far faster if I switched to antifreeze and tubing that could handle higher heat my cure times would be far faster meaning far less babysitting as is with a cure of around 4 hours and ramp up/down it's just a day long process.

But for a single trick ski... Juice might be worth the squeeze.

• Baller

@BraceMaker Don't forget ring main too rather than spur meaning I can add more sockets if needed without more cabling (up to a point), plus a couple of 16A and 32A 240V spurs going into the workshop to run various things

It's my office conversion in part of my workshop, it's got network cables running within the trunking too so keeps everything tidy and movable.

I also don't understand why people don't have switched outlets with fused plugs! Just seems wrong to me