Prostar Hull Revisions

usaski1

• Baller
I was thinking, I have not detected a skiing difference in wake through the 2014 to 2019 Prostars. (I have not skied a 2020 yet) Has their been any hull revisions? Is it the same 2014 hull all the way through the current year?

• Baller

The hull has remained unchanged since its introduction in 2014.

The transmission was changed in 2015 and the 6.2 liter engine changed in 2017.

Cosmetic update in 2016 included a slight change in the gel pattern, interior pattern change, and a different pattern for the seadek.

There was change from silver to black for the billet on the dash in 2017 and the observer glovebox cover also changed. Ski pylon was changed at some point. Maybe 2018?

@Horton , “not sure how you could make it better”? Ummm, how about building it to track straight. I would have serious interest in the new PS. My tourney PB is behind 16 PS. I skied the 2020 at the boarding school. That boat had 6 liter. Awesome boat. BUT, the issue is tracking. Unfortunately I have several different drivers, my primary driver being my wife. I’m pretty positive she would have difficulty keeping the PS straight especially when I shorten to 38.

I asked the dealer at this years area boat show about the tracking. His response? We know exactly how to grind the rudder to load it properly. Is that a solution?

I usually change boats every 2-3 years. Due to the stupid prices of the SN, I have really investigated the PS. Fix the tracking and I’m all over the MC PS.

• Baller

@Buxrus I felt the same way about the Pro star until I owned one. Set it up correctly and they drive really nice.

I would venture to say that your wife will get used to driving it and you will get a better pull due to her being in sync with you. I’ve owned a couple 200s and the do track so good but it’s hard to get in sync with the skier because you can just hold wheel straight and it tracks.

@mbabiash. What does that mean, set it up correctly? Grind rudder, weights, have the expensive training ballast system?

It’s odd to me that MC can’t make this boat track. Is it design? Providing awesome wakes in lieu of tracking straight? My situation is not unusual to the skiing community, you take the driver that’s available. Sometimes you just reconcile this set “I’ll be 3 buoys short today” because of this particular driver. We all don’t have Chad Scott driving for us, Mr bush, Lyman, Rico whoever. If I’m dropping $70-80k on a tournament ski boat my expectation is that is does ALL skiing stuff really really excellent.

• Baller

Even the Nautique’s I’ve had needed set up. Meaning adjust the rudder tab.

No difference in that and tuning the rudder by grinding on it.

They should all be close from the factory but some like more torque than others. Personal preference.

• Baller
It's not really a boat war, in my case i am looking to replace my boat this winter with a used 2020 boat. My wants in a boat shouldn't be that far off from every one else. I have several different drivers during the week and i want something that is easy to drive for everyone for my sake. I also have many skiers that ski with me most ski 15 off there are a few that are working on 28-35 off i want a wake that makes everyone happy. But if the driver is battling trying to keep it straight then skiing is not fun. When shopping for a new ski living in Orlando I get to try many different skis on the same course behind the same boat. It would be nice to try a side by side comparison on the same course with my different drivers and skier to see what everyone likes. Sure there is going to be compromises but the one that is the easiest to drive and has the best wakes at all line lengths is the winner . I have skied behind all three manufactures boats and 28 off is great i have not driven them all. but for the person working on 15 off dealing with wakes and the 22 off person dealing with the rooster tail it matters.

@TEL. no disrespect but I’m talking about 35 and shorter.

I’ve skied and driven all the current big 3 boats. Even the new SN has some driving “quirks” at first but the tracking is true.

I am not a master chief tournament driver but I have pulled skiers into 41. I had trouble keeping the PS straight for a friend skiing 32 off at 32mph. I was apologizing at each end. He was the promo guy in our area and it was his boat. He said “ no problem you’re used to your 200”.

Every boat has their own idiosyncrasies. No 200 is the same, but in my experience tracking for the PS is deficient. Can it be modified...yep, could it be fixed at the manufacturer level ? I would hope so.....soon.

• Baller

@Buxrus - I think the biggest thing I would say is that people have varying expectation. Perhaps in your opinion the MC is looser but that doesn't mean the boat doesn't track. I don't own a new one and the times I've gotten to drive them I didn't think they were a handful at all.

Its tempting to complain about the need to grind a rudder - but then again if the dealer can tune it and get it going nice that's no different than we've been doing to rudders in this sport since the... 60's? 70's?

• Baller
@Buxrus , I agree the prostar could track slightly better ... However I have skied and owned both of the top 2 comp. To me the prostar has better wake , better inside boat design and better touchscreen interface. Do I wish I didn't have to ground down the router and make some tweaks to the router control and use lead wake weights in my boat ... yes. But will buy a Prostar over a 200 at this moment.

• Baller_
It could track better, but the wake is great. Throw some weight right in the center at the nose (like 50-75) and put some more under the observer seat. Then, have some additional weight you move left or right depending on who is in the boat with the driver. Move the rudder arm to the second hole and grind the rudder to load correctly.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

@MISkier. Yikes. I am NOT a mechanic or engineer. That’s a lot of modifications for a new SKI boat. If it were a 23 foot sea ray inboard/outboard I would understand all that. My primary point is...it’s a ski boat. There are a few variables that should be of utmost importance when building it. Tracking is one of those variables. This discussion asked about hull revisions, my opinion as a prospective buyer, fix the tracking. I’m in.

• Baller
I had to change the tiller connection point as well on my '15 too, plus the rudder torque was arm breaking for my wife out of the factory. The wake was/is still the best I've skied, but I'd buy a new 200 today if buying FWIW.

• Administrators

I asked Will Bush to grind the rudder of my first ProStar (Bumblebee). I also added a bunch of bow weight to that boat.

Since then I have had a bunch of ProStars, - Bruce, The Penguin, Fred, Black Betty, The French Tickler* and now Camille. None of which have had the rudder ground.

Looking back I suspect that Bumblebee did not need the rudder ground on and I added way too much bow weight. I was just excited to tweak on my first ProStar (rookie error). Each of these boats except Bumblebee have basically come off the truck from the factory and gone to the lake as is. I have been extremely happy with the way each of these boats drove and skied.

@rico I have finally named your boat

• Administrators
@Buxrus I prefer to drive a ProStar. You prefer to drive a 200. I would argue the finer pints but I assume we would go around in circles for eternity. Please accept that "I" would not change the ProStar but you likely prefer the 200. The 6L 200 is a fine boat.

• Baller
Could anyone comment on how a 2019-2020 prostar tracks/drives compared to a Nautique 196? My wife has no problem driving 35 and shorter with the old Nautique Assume a newer prostar is at least as good or better, but would appreciate experienced insight. Thanks.

FWIW all points thus far are valid. However the perplexing issue for me as a consumer is WHY can’t MC fix the issue? Mastercraft, not me figuring out where to place weights, grind, move rudder to said bolt hole, etc.

If my 200 sold today, my first call would be to MC dealer in cincy to start inquiring about 2021. Why ? SN is too freaking much, even for used boat, just too much. The new 200 I had a bad experience with, enough said. I like the MC for a ton of “non ski” reasons: color scheme and pattern choices, love the tower (grandkids, sorry guys) front bow cover (genius IMO), 6 liter, price point.

They are both outstanding boats. I think we’re fortunate to have them both as choices for our particular sport.

• Baller
I have a 196 and prefer how it handles outside of the course in comparison to the 200, PS or new Nautique. In my opinion the PS tracks (in course) much better than the 196, not quite as well as the 200, but better than the new Nautique.

• Baller

I have had Malibu, MC, and now a 200 6L. Every one of them needed tweaking to make them perfect. My current 200 is the best I have ever driven. However, it has 50 lbs in the nose, 2-50lb barbells under the pass seat when empty, and the rudder tab adjusted all the way over. It is the lightest on the wheel by far, compared to other 200's I've driven.

• Baller
When we were shopping my dealer (MC) knew we were course skiers and he knew I was shopping both brands. What I was told is that MC design intent was to have an efficient hull (not plow water) and the best wakes at all speeds. Maybe there were some trades that were made to the handling. Maybe for the ultra pros there is a difference but we are super happy with our ProStar in every way and it is almost 99% used in the course.

• Baller
@markn We own a 196, but drive & ski the new Prostar's at our ski club. Both ski great at the end of the rope, but the 196 drives better. we also drive & ski 200's regularly also and they drive amazing. Not just tracking better, but smoother on throttle and steering also. Almost bought @swc5150 Prostar but my wife much prefers driving the Nautique's, thus happy wife and happy life! PS: we both love skiing behind the Prostar's!!

• Baller

@jpattigr - right there with you. I almost traded my 2006 196 for a promo 2019 MC that I loved last Fall, two reasons I held off:

1. Forking over the $$ when my 196 works great.

2. My wife would have a harder time driving in the course. I find when driving my ski buddies 2018 MC I have to use a slight amount of counter steer timed with load coming from the skier, and the wider foot print leaves less room for positioning error down the middle. These additional factors will stress my wife out.

The new MC’s with the 6L are just awesome though, maybe she can learn...

• Baller
I have spent a lot of time driving a 196 at a ski school. It is my favorite Nautique to ski behind. It drives differently than a MC. Once you simply get in tune with THAT particular boat, tracking is fine. If not paying attention to the habits of THAT boat, and expect the boat to do it all like that last boat you drove, then tracking is an issue. Both boat can pull the shortest of slalom. However, I am most comfortable driving a MC.

• Baller

@Jmoski I'm not sure I understand the point "wider foot print leaves less room for positioning error down the middle."

Yes its wider and you have less room within the boat guide buoys, but the pylon is in the same place. If anything the wider body should keep you within a tighter tolerance. If you are bumping buoys with the new prostar, you aren't as far off center as you would be bumping buoys with an older narrower boat (not that you should be that far off.) Biggest adjustment is moving your sight-line more down the right side buoys with the wider boats.

• Baller

@ScottScott - totally agree the wider boat actually helps an experienced driver line it up down the centerline.

But for me, I am not worried about whether the boat is 1 ft left of center or right of center when I am skiing, I am worried about not stressing my wife out when she drives - a wider boat means less margin for error and more concern/fear about running over a boat guide!

When driving the MC I put my right foot against the side wall of the boat and line up the right boat guides to go under my foot, this works well for me - but is additive to the list things for my wife to manage...

• Baller
Somewhere i read that the movement that we feel with MC is that the fins under the boat are placed behind the ski pole causing the front of the boat to move around more. Making new drivers to MC's over react until they get use to it. Malibu and SN 's are placed forward of the ski pole. Maybe a MC engineer can explain why they made the change compared to older MC's and on any new models they would move them forward.

• Baller

I guess it's hard to say what exactly is going to stress out the wives.... bumping a boat guide may make some nervous possibly resulting in an over-correction. Logic tells me again.....the prop is in the same place no matter how wide, just have you get used to bumping a buoy occasionally and not stressing over it. In fact bumping a buoy is an earlier warning you're a little off track.

Of course that's like telling them to calm down.....usually has great results.

• Baller_

@TEL,

I think they've got the fin issue fixed for 2021. Tracking will be amazing. Oddly enough, the height that it sits on the trailer has increased substantially.

k3qvo7ohutdf.jpg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@ScottScott - as an engineer I agree with the logic, the issue is “logic” is irrelevant when it comes to teaching your spouse (either way) how to do something!

Finally, it’s less about the width of the boat and more related to keep the set of instructions as simple as possible, where less is more, that’s all.