Is an older N1 worth a try?

keithh2oskier

• Baller

I am currently on a 2016 connelly GT. Debating giving an older N1 a try just to have something different to tweak with. Never skied on a Goode but the reviews seem super positive on a N1. Figured if I can get my hands on an older model for cheap it would be worth it.

I ski 34 at 22-32.

The corona has me bored and thinking a different ski would be fun to try and solve all my problems...

Or would it be better to save and buy something newer?

• Administrators
if the Nano is pristine, has been taken care of, not abused, never left in the sun then yes otherwise no. Nano came out in 2012+/-. If you do not know where it has been get a new one.

• Baller
I agree with Horton. Don’t buy a used Goode, at least not one of that vintage, especially if it has been “refurbished” by Goode. I’ve seen a couple of them break. I can’t say for the older models (my 9800 was awesome) or the newer ones, but those N1’s didn’t stand the test of time, as far as durability goes. Awesome ski though

• Baller

For having another ski to play with and 'tweak', why not? So long as the ski looks well cared for, as stated already.

I just got off mine a year or so ago. And, still enjoy getting back on it now and then.

Awesome ski.

• Baller

Wonder if skis should be proof tested. Not like MB with a forklift and trailer hitch. But for instance if I mount an I beam to hoist engines and want to lift 1000 lbs. I could lift a 5k weight and call it proofed to 1K with a 5x safety factor

If you were to flex test a ski to.... X? Maybe based on a weight, line length, speed? You could go down a chart and say the ski needs to be flexed to a number that's a few times your feasible flex.

• Baller
The N1 is a great ski, not significantly different from the XT and XTR. I have had or have all three. Too much work? I am more concerned with the performance, I can rest after my set. I would recommend it, I would prefer an XT if the same or close to the same price.

• Baller
@Horton you have no idea what I went through to make that ski work. I know a lot of people loved it, but it didn't work for me. It was a very frustrating time tweaking that ski. Spent some quality time on the phone with Dave trying to get it to work for me.

• Supporting Member

I loved the N1, but it was an unusual ski. Very slow, but so unbelievably good from the second wake out to the buoy and through the turn.

If you had a style that dug a bit of a hole after the buoy (*cough* Pat), I could easily imagine that you just couldn't get it to go again.

I echo some of the comments that it wasn't a super durable ski. Amazing for a few seasons and then the magic seemed gone.