Is there going to be a Nationals?

MarkM

• Baller

Bennetts heck yeah. Bring your own buoys and bait. Oh wait, they might be one and the same!

i418pd5jgq2j.jpg

Kidding. Great place that many people have learned and grown while running buoys. (actually, without Bennetts, I wouldn't have met Mrs. scoke as she was in town for a tournament there!)

Anyone who steps up and hosts nationals should have big respect from all of us. To put our money where our mouth is, the day registration opens for nationals, we'll register. Regardless of location.

Anyone else willing to make that commitment?

Even if it's lake 3 on the left coast and we can swing by bikini barista drive through coffee!

• Baller

Having a nationals that is spread over many regions and lakes could be a logistical nightmare. Going with current guidelines of event towboats being the same enough Promos in each area plus judges and so forth. The conditions are going to be different at every location.

Will there any one willing to take on the task on a national event with the possibility of a reduced skier pool? All the ideas floating out there are great. Let’s see what happens.

• Administrators
I think the bottom line is very few people are going to be going to fly. so the question is how do we get the most people to participate. you have a better idea let's hear it

• Baller

Attempted to post on the "What if we re-invisioned regionals and nationals", but for some unknown reason, there is no provision for doing so...hence my response on this thread.

Just read the following regarding a proposal for a virtual Nationals run at 10- 20 different sites with the following caveats: "Granted, yes we are talking different boats, conditions, drivers, possible cheating, but it would make sure we have a huge Nationals." This was written by the ASWA President. Based on this, it is evidently more important to have a money making travesty than to maintain integrity of the sport as it was intended. I get these are difficult times, for a lot of people and activities. I hope legitimacy of a National tournament is not one of the casualities.

• Baller
I’m old school like you @markn. Yes, we may have to be creative to have events this season, and to insure revenue for our governing body, but calling any such virtual event “The National Championships” would be an insult to all past Nationals medalists.

• Baller

Calling it the Virtual National Championships would maintain the integrity. You don’t have to enter if you don’t want to.

We are running a virtual regionals and nationals with USRowing this year.

• Baller
Eliminate the regionals requirement then lets just have Nationals in a central area to maximize the number of folks who can drive to it, sure some folks will be scared and wont come, Just run the tournament based on the number of folks who sign up. You can run the event with 50 or 100 skiers. Just get rid of the free hotel rooms, and use local and volunteer judges and drivers.

• Baller
It's going to be a topic in August when football season is upon us and game attendance will be hotly debated. As people start moving around, the virus will spread and we could be looking at another lock down as well. COVID-19 is one bad MF'r.

• Baller

I hope USA Waterski takes into account that at this time and the near future want may make sense for one state may not apply for all. If we have to wait until all areas of the country have low levels of risk/cases, we may not have a 2021 season.

In most cases skier and officials with some control and rule changes can run a tournament and maintain social distancing. Why not remove the requirement to have an additional person in the boat with the driver? For E/L/R just utilize inboat video, for C, shore judges suffice.

• Baller
Could a driver call in the skier, line length, starting speed, grab the rope, set the ZO, drive , call in buoy count and time/ change speed/and or line length? Sure. But having been a senior driver and driven ELR tournaments, focusing on driving is job #1. For ELR, driver does the driving, boat judge handles the other duties. In addition, the other purpose of the judge in the boat to monitor the driver...toning, weaving....it STILL happens. Seems like we are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I am all for progress and a better way. Not certain this is progress. And for the record, I personally think, based on everything I have read, the reaction to Covid 19 is excessively over-blown. That said, I recognize it is all about liability minimization for AWSA moving forward regarding sanctions for any tournament.

• Baller

My opinion on this topic may be warped as neither me nor my son are likely to win a national championship this year (or ever). If you have a virtual nationals, we will participate. Not with hopes of winning, but to support USA Waterski and for the love of our sport.

I know those that are competitive and have a chance of winning a medal may feel differently, but there are a lot of us out here that ski mostly for the love of skiing, not for the medal.

• Baller

Regardless....

Decisions need to be made. Are we having nationals? Regionals? Other "Big" tournaments?

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat. Our summers revolve around kids being in various camps and water ski tournaments. At this time almost all of their camps have been cancelled and skiing is up in the air.

As a family we are not concerned about Covid 19. Statistically it's just not an issue. Given that, we are considering some vacations to places that are open. We can give it another week or so, but for travel, coverage at work, etc. we may just schedule our stuff and if skiing fits in we'll go rather than the other way around.

• Baller
@MrJones tournament sanctions are opening May 18th, announcement coming tmrw, of course it will be up to local guidelines as far as being able to host an event. Right now everything looks on par to have a regionals/nationals. We have a meeting tonight with all regionals host, and bids for securing a Nationals site are due Sunday at which time the board will decide on a bid. My hope is by end of month at latest we have this all hashed out as far as what, where, when and how. But I would say right now 90% chance everything goes on as expected, just not at west palm.

• Baller

@JeffSurdej thank you the update. I agree with @MrJones & @markn with regards to COVID-19 as do the majority of people and skiers I know. Those of us that are comfortable will travel, live our lives and enjoy skiing. The guidelines that are established will not be a determining factor in each persons or families decision to enter tournaments this season. People are comfortable or they are not, all for different reasons we should respect.

It is unfortunate that the Ski Club of the Palm Beaches made the decision to withdraw as LOC for the 2020 Nationals. I believe come Aug, things will much closer to normal for our Country than they look today and certainly from a month ago.

Regardless, we will be having tournaments in S FL now that the sanctions will be lifted

May 18th and I hope the rest of the Country will be hosting tournaments as well.

I and all of my ski buddies are looking forward to the 2020 ski season and supporting the new Nationals host site.

• Baller

@scoke

Registration Received For

2020 Goode US Water Ski National Championship

Sanction ID: 20C999

8/4/2020 to 8/8/2020

Pete Shoemaker

ID: 400124146

Events Entered

M3 - Slalom