How much dye do you add to a ski lake, approx. 12 acres?

How much lake dye does everyone put in for a ski lake? If you read the recommendations I'd have to add a gallon per acre, and I have about 12 acers. However, in past, I only added a few gallons and it seemed fine. Is this enough? It gives it a nice blue color, not sure how much it does to stop weed growth, but a little skeptical on amount recommended.

• Baller
Using Sensient dye crystals from Indylake.com I have been using two 5-gallon buckets of blue and two one gallon jugs of black. This is the 4th year and I just added this week. We had a pretty significant weed problem previously, but since using the dye the problem is 100% resolved. We also have grass carp. I think they were overwhelmed before the dye, but my opinion is that the dye reduced the weeds to the point that the grass carp could finish the job. I can't tell you how many acres the lake is, but it is 2,000' long and varies in depth from around 4-1/2' at one end to around 25' at the dam. A drone shot is available HERE which will give you a good idea of the shape. Hope this helps.

• Baller
I just dyed my 12 acre lake last week. It is 10 feet deep and I used 25 gallons of Aquashade. Calculate the number of gallons in your lake and use 1 gallon for every 1.2 million gallons (other products may vary). My lake worked out to about 30 million gallons. My visibility went from about 6 feet to less than 18" which is what you want to reduce weed growth.

• Baller
@skiinxs you mentioned adding two five gallon buckets to your lake. I looked at the indylake website. They show a 25 pound bucket. Is that equal to five gallons? How long does that dose last before you need to add it again?

• Baller
@in Yes, the buckets are the 25 lb buckets. I have added once per year, this is the 4th year. By the next spring the color has faded quite a bit but it seems to last through the weed growing season each year. We have been fortunate to not have any major water over the spillway after I add in the spring.