What rope and handle company do you prefer? Masterline or InTow?

DSP

• Baller

I heard an opinion recently for InTow vs Masterline for both ropes and handles. I’ve only used Masterline for years but am curious.

Sponsorships / distributorships aside, do you have any insight into the differences? I’ve only seen Masterline at the tournaments I’ve attended.

Thanks!

• Baller
In Tow. I own both. I prefer the In Tow. I only use the In Tow for slalom. I sometimes use the Masterline for cruises around the lake behind a classic wooden Century Resorter 17 but not for anything else.

• Baller

Both great products, personally I like intow and Brenda always has awesome customer service.

Masterline ropes seem to twist up and wear out in a season, intow do not. I also like the knot less design where you just drop over the pylon without having to loosen the connections like Masterline.

• Baller
I have used intow for over 6 years, every rope has been spot on. Masterline is a fine product also, I just like the ability to have the rope customized without extra cost, having the rope start where I want, and if you want (i don’t believe in, a cheater loop).

• Baller

@Golfguy That is my one complaint with in-tow....mine only lasted one season!

I used it at a tournament in Vermont...my son didn't pack it to come home...now I have to order a new one :)

I love the little twists Brenda puts on her stuff like the sewn in bar. Truly, she is great to work with.

• Baller

I have bought ropes from both, and both are excellent. I like the masterline handle as you can customize it with size and signature engraved.

In-Tow will also customize your rope and I did that last year by ordering an all white rope with slide loops to 39.5' off. Very cool. Brenda is amazing.

Both ropes are spot on accurate to measurement.

• Baller

I think you can’t go wrong either way and it all comes down to personal preferences.

Masterline is my go-to because it’s 15 minutes from my door. Customer service is outstanding, the staff is always super friendly and very knowledgeable, and even if they don’t advertise much personalization of their products, a lot can and will be done if you just ask!

I got used to the feel of the Masterline optimized rope.

Bought the 1st gen (the white one) last year and skied with it for a good while.

Didn’t feel that much of a difference first (coming from a Masterline DX rope). Then I ordered a custom rope from Brenda and never liked the firmer/stiffer feel of that rope, so I went back to the ML.

Bought the new optimized rope a few weeks ago and after a couple sets to get it stretched out, it feels quite comparable to the 1st gen optimized rope.

For a handle I used a Masterline carbon. It did good for 3 full seasons, I even had it re-stringed by Masterline once, when the triangle started to fray. Way cheaper than buying a new handle!

When the rubber finally started to wear down too much, I ordered a In-Tow spectra handle and love it! I like especially the thin spectra line that is strung to the handle, feels lighter, less bulky than the rubber coated rope of the Masterline Carbon handle. The grip feels the same on both handles, let’s see how many seasons I will get out of the In-Tow handle.

Brenda was also easy to work with, friendly, very responsive and keeps you up-to date on your order.

So again, you can’t go wrong either way here.

• Baller
@"Keith Menard" in tow may be built in New Mexico but where is the product To build her rope and Handles come from? Masterline is 100% make in USA. from the yarn to spin the rope which is done in house so all aspects meet Masterline standards. I don’t think I tow can say that.

• Baller_
We have been using an In Tow rope for our 4 man Wed crew - I think this is season #3 - and I was just noticing this week how new the rope still looked. I have liked Masterline handles better than In Tow. I also have the black HO rope & handle - like it just as well, has been very long lasting and half the price.

• Baller
When I first caught the slalom bug the top skiers in the mag’s were in the -35 off range. So we went to the local marina and bought a Performer (golf club style grip) handle and ski rope by the foot from a spool. They had a few colors to choose from. We’d get blue because that’s where they were in the mags. We’d measure out 30ft. and enough slack to splice a loop in each end. One end of the rope got the Performer and the other end got hooked to our homemade harness that was clipped to the transom eyes of our Glastrons. Those ropes and handles worked like a charm. About 15 years later we discovered a slalom course and instantly realized that we needed about 35 more feet of rope to negotiate those buoys. Been about 30 years since then and have only been to the -35 blue loop a dozen or so times.

• Baller

I've owned several Masterline handles and never had one fail or break on me. They're a solid, fine product. That said, I prefer a few things about Brenda's handles that keep my hands and elbows in better shape. I switched to In-tow last year and have been happy with the change. The t-shirt Brenda included at no charge is one of my favorite "lounge around the house during COVID" shirts. :)

• Baller

The jury is still out in the Masterline

Opt 2 rope not enough tournament feedback due to Covid! Several people did not like how spongy they felt, prolly better with more sets!

The HO rope was well received firm feel but hard to tell rope length from shore due to the mostly ebony rope color! Was that politically correct enough?