Handle guard options?

LOTW

• Baller
So what are the options if we wanted to purchase a guard for an existing handle? Price? I know this may be in a previous post but. Seems like one of the cheapest investments in this rediculously expensive and short seasoned sport that could prevent a major injury or worse.

Go to http://www.intowonline.com/ Brenda makes the best handles and you can get them with the cross bar to prevent your head from going into the "V".

I see 2 issues with the plastic guards that others sell:

1: They are typically held on with zip ties that will cut you in many more instances than the head through the handle.

2: They increase the possibility of getting your arm trapped in the "V".

• Baller

I was silly last winter and got a new InTow handle without adding the cross bar so I just added this to my handle yesterday with some paracord I had kicking around. Happy enough with it that I ordered some color matching paracord to redo it and maintain my vanity. :)

kmvt25mx1j6n.jpeg

Added same to both my kids handles too.

4 braided strands of paracord with a single prussic knot on one end and a double connection knot in the other side.

Actually it’s done with 2 strands doubled back. So you end up with a 4 strand braid with loop for the prussic on one end.

• Baller

Perfecting my paracord approach a bit.

Using a square braid so it comes out like a rope instead of flat. Changes to color matching paracord. Bought some paracord needles off amazon and added a single splice into the line on each side to prevent slip without adding zip tie.

My daughters handle

ip20rfwxcq3n.jpeg

vt5u6i0v1jng.jpeg

• Baller
I don't know about the paracord idea. I'd want something strong enough to block an arm or head from going through but if an arm does go through I want it to break. I don't want to literally create another snare.

• Baller
I don't know about the paracord idea. I'd want something strong enough to block an arm or head from going through but if an arm does go through I want it to break. I don't want to literally create another snare.
@jhughes What do you do?

• Baller

If you think a rope bar or soft guard will work well here is my answer after testing a soft version last July

IMO A soft material will conform and give you a quick yank a hard plastic guard will deflect

Pic of handle that was used and New handle guard

I now use a FM on a In tow Handle

Might miss a handle grab once in awhile but I will go home

Deano

76zxqjcubo5t.jpeg

awjzfgx3ummw.jpeg

• Baller
I put on a Mike's Overall Binding (MOB) handleguard at the beginning of the season....haven't noticed it one bit in terms of missing the handle or other issues. Right now on sale - I have to say, "don't leave home without one"

• Baller

I pray no one else has to test their handle guard

Put on a guard even if it’s duck tape it could save your life

i1i8ggyo499c.jpeg

Ps been skiing 39 sets now running-28 over and over told wife nothing but opener for most of the summer

• Baller
@Deanoski , I get the impression that you believe that if your guard had been stiff (inflexible), your head would not have gotten through? That is, the guard would have pushed the handle away? Is that right?

• Baller_

I brought up at our regional summer meeting last year the idea of possibly implementing a handle safety rule into our system. It was not received well by most in the room yet many were not opposed to the idea. It did get a vote for further conversation as a regional recommendation to the national board however looking through the minutes I did not see where it was discussed...

Last year if I remember there was a death and a injury due to head into handle.

I would really hate to see this happen or be involved as a driver or even boat judge if this happened during a event.

Our leaders though are more interested in general membership being other people's parents ( safe sport mandate ) then skier safety .

• Baller
I really don't get it, what is the down side to having a handle guard? I've used one for years and rarely ever feel it when I reach for the handle. I asked my ski partners to have some kind of guard and they have. Like Jody says, I don't want to be that driver!!

• Baller

I make a variety of handle guards for different shapes and handles. Stiffer material and durable. Mobsystemrelease.com

xni9ayekmcl2.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Why the opening in the front? Serve no purpose but to trap a hand or a forearm...

I think a full triangle guard is safer then the red handle IMO.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

@Andre obviously some shapes, materials or coverage are safer than others. I make version that cover further down also. However some skiers are concerned about weight or wind drag or... I make a lot versions to accommodate skiers needs, they can decide what works best for them.

@NameUnavailable most skiers are not as skilled as those skiing at Swiss and should not make decisions based on what those skiers use for safety equipment.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller
I bought the new masterline handle guard this spring. They have hit a home run with this product. Easy to install, more importantly it holds up well being dragged down the course at 36mph after you fall. I would recommend to anyone.

• Baller

@skialex please get a new guard that is hard plastic.!!!! make one or buy a FM or MOB guard

that will only keep you from going through, but it will still catch and grab you head and yank it

I would hate to see anyone go through what I went through not fun!!

get a guard and crank down the spring on your reflex release.

if you can pull it off on he dock easy you can prerelease easy also.

• Baller

@Deanoski yea I’m thinking about it a lot especially after seeing what happened to you. I hope you’re doing well now.

Prerelease is a nightmare and should be a nightmare for anyone using a hard shell. It is as bad as breaking a rope or handle.

I have tuned my system the way I like it and feel fairly safe on it. Unless something fails and I check it a lot, I believe I’m good. Using the silvretta 400 was the best choice for me.

I had a hard plastic guard before but then I saw the intow cross bar and liked that more..then I strung some rope to the lower v and now made those net guards.

I know now that none would protected me enough from a situation like yours. I think I should design a new hard plastic one again.

• Baller
@NameUnavailable I was the dock starter all day at the Swiss Pro event and I would say at least 30% of all skiers had some kind of handle guard. Everything from duct tape to manufactured guards.

• Baller
I just got an In-Tow spectra handle from Brenda. The handle guard in it is far more rigid than I expected. I’m impressed. I actually didn’t need a new handle as my In-Tow spectra handle with a home-made handle guard fidded through the line is still going strong in season 4, I just wanted a new one for fun. Now I just have to find out if my wrist is broken and if it’s going to require surgery before I can try it out. *injury not from skiing, but from boat lift building

• Baller

@Andre here are two of my high coverage handle guards, shown with optional strap to the handle. v10 fits 13 inch handles, and v11 fits 12 inch, or 13 inch handles with extra finger space.jndf9cig30is.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

@ReallyGottaSki on this type of handle you can carefully open small holes on the plastic tubing and put zip ties around the rope but inside the tubing. If you ski as is in the picture, try not to rub the handle against the ski when getting up, don’t think guard will stay in place as is. I might be wrong though...

• Baller

@dchristman yep, I use my dremel tool with flap wheel sander to grind nubs down.

@ReallyGottaSki that method might work better with paracord. But that looks good.

Mike's Overall Binding