Broken motor box hinges

Tbub

2004 Ski Nautique has given me zero problems since I purchased it in 2004 except...hinges and shocks. I replaced the knuckle crunching glove box shocks and the observer seat shocks but the screws have pulled out of the fiberglass on the motorbox. I certainly do not want to drill holes in the vinyl to attached it again. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

I just did the hinge area a few days ago on my 2003 SN. Upper clam shell had 3 of 5 studs break out of the plastic.

I took off the black edge trim, pulled the staples and slide a .093 x 1" x 15" SS plate with welded in 1/4"-20 x 3/4" long SS studs and epoxied in it on the back side underneath the upholstery. I used the plate because the pulled flat head screws caused too much damage to the surrounding plastic.

Staples won't go back in so I used contact cement to reattach the vinyl. Be sure to only apply it to the bottom 3/4" where the black trim lays. Also tape it down with black electrical tape. It really helps to push the black edging back on.

Last, I suggest you use nylon lock nuts to bolt it back to the hinge. That way you don't have to over tighten everything to keep it together. That's why it broke it the first place!

I might try the fiberglass route. Also considering two marine grade chrome hinges. Pulling off the vinyl scares me a bit. And, not sure where I can have that plate fabricated. Ging to under this for a day or two.