Best ski boats for me

kirkbauer

• Baller

I've never done a slalom course but I'd like to get to that point. I certainly would like a boat that can pull me out of the water fast, and one that has a small wake. I'd like to be able to fit a family of four and ideally a couple of guests once in a while.

I was a member of a boat club for a while and the best boat they had was a tritoon with 250hp outboard. The wake was small and it pulled me up quick because it doesn't have to plane up. But I think that's too wide to fit into a course, even for fun.

I have skied behind a couple of real ski boats just a little bit and liked the launches and the wake (although the wake in the middle threw me off a bit).

I've always liked the Ski Nautiques and now I'm thinking it might be time to get one of my own. I'm looking at the open bow options since the rear seat isn't usable with somebody skiing. I like the direct drive, cruise control, ski storage, etc.

I'd like to spend under $40k and not lose a lot of value right away, so I'm thinking a gently used Ski Nautique could be good.

But is that too much boat for me if I'm not competing? Are there other brands I should be considering?

• Baller

40k is a weird price pointing used boats. Your going to struggle to find an Nautique 200 Open Bow for that price point even as some are 10 years old. The previous version (196) didn't have an open bow and the 206 may be hard to find but both would be well under 40k

Malibu/Master Craft will be a lot easier to get in an open bow and are generally equally good ski boats.

• Baller

If you stay on the market long enough, you should be able to find a 2010+ Ski nautique 200 with an open bow for under $40k. It will definitely only have a 5.7 engine, but for your purposes that will be fine and it will likely have quite a few hours on it. But it is there if you look hard enough and wait around long enough.

If you don't want to look that hard or wait that long, then Malibu had the open bow walk through way back to the early 2000's, so across their models, you should see a nice linear scale of age and hours vs. price. Meaning: for malibu, 40k won't be a "weird pricing point" as @keithh2oskier mentions. You won't have to look as hard and wait as long to find an open bow malibu response right in your price range. And the case could easily be made that it's a boat better suited for open water anyway.

Also, a separate note and some input you didn't ask for - if you are taking larege-ish groups out onto public water, I would highly recommend looking for one with a tower. A tower makes big group public water life SOO much better. But, adding the tower requirement will make it even harder to find a SN200 for under 40k, and will push you even more toward a malibu given that price constraint.

I love Nautique. I own a Nautique. But it sounds to me like the right boat for your situation is a malibu. Something like this boat being a good starting point to begin your research.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=53792

• Baller
Also, I will disagree with @keithh2oskier that the mastercraft of that age will be an equally good ski boat. 2002-2013 MCs are fairly well known for having a larger wake than the competitors especially for slower speed longer line skiers and it sounds like your boat will be full of mostly slower speed longer line skiers.

I know this forum is full of a bunch of MC homers, but don't overlook a Response LXi/TXi/etc. You can find a nice 2008-12 boat in that price range. I have an 03' LXi with a tower and it's great all around boat.

• Baller

@escmanaze my comment was more targeted as any of the big 3 manufacturer in the last 15 years will be a considerable decent pull when compared to say an tritoon outboard and thr OP should look at all 3 to find the best boat for his situation.Yes some will be better than others but in the grand scheme of things were talking first world problems.

• Baller

What sort of water are you usually on? Lots of big cruisers and surf boats you'll have to contend with? Also, are you looking to be able to slalom from the pylon with 5 passengers in the boat (and one on the line)?

Given the space requirement you're looking for, I'd recommend passing on any of the tournament boats and look for an '04 or earlier Malibu Sunsetter LXi. They're getting up there in age so the price is fairly low compared to what you're looking to spend, but you can use the rest of that money on upgrades (i.e. buy one without a tower and add it, re-do upholstery and flooring, etc).

Reasons for this recommendation:

1. It's the only direct drive ever made that has fantastic ski wakes and could reasonably handle a crew of 5 people in the boat and one on the line.

2. It has higher freeboard than any of the tournament boats (RLXi, RTXi, SN200, ProStar, 197) meaning it's safer on shared waterways, especially with passengers in the front (the tourney boats like to play U-boat Commander sometimes with weight up there)

3. It has a giant trunk and more under-seat storage than a tourney boat will have. If you're loading up for a day on the water, this is mega-important.

4. It IS a tourney boat. It's the largest boat to ever achieve USA Waterski certification. It is a pure miracle that a boat that big can have wakes that good.

Honorable mention: SN 206. It's a better family boat IMO than the SN 200 and has great build quality, but the wakes are not as good as the Sunsetter LXi. I would avoid a MC 209. Those wakes are kinda yuck.

• Baller
I've owned a 206 and have a 200. The 206 is a very nice, solid boat. The 200 is better. If you can get into a 200 at a price you can afford, I'd personally go that route. But, again, a 206 is also a quality boat. There are also other brands that would meet your needs, but, in my personal opinion, Nautiques are on the top of the heap for build quality.

• Baller

Direct drive Malibu Sunsetter Lxi with a monsoon engine and, ideally, a tower. The tower for most towing needs will get your rope high enough to use your back seat. Only need the pylon most likely for slalom.

This will save you some money, has good room, and incredible wakes/handling for it's size and freeboard.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Sunsetter-LXI-22-Diamond-Hull-for-sale-Corpus-Christi-Texas-112602.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXI-for-sale-Clearwater-Minnesota-104268.aspx

• Baller

I'd pass on the '05 Sunsetter LXi personally. The "good" LXi ended with the '04 model year. Rest of the points are spot on.

Other benefit to the Malibu is the wedge. The versatility that gives a family boat really can't be overstated.

I’d agree with the Sunsetter LXI recommendation. I sold Malibu Boats back in the day, and that’s exactly the direction that I would’ve steered you. The Response LXI and Response TXI were both mentioned as well, but there is an issue. I absolutely love the Response models (and own one), but if you’re spending some time on public waters on the weekends with adults in the bow you’ll experience water coming over the bow. It won’t be some minor spray, but 10’s of gallons until you’re accustomed to the boat’s characteristics. This will not be an issue with the Sunsetter series. Good Luck!

• Baller
@UWSkier Did you just say that the SSLxi wakes are better than a 200? Really? I don't think I've skied even a response that had better wakes than a 200 let alone a sunsetter. I understand that the SSLXi is an amazing boat, but to say it has better wakes than the 200 does not reflect the experience I have had anyway.

• Baller
The 206 has very good wakes for 32, and especially 34 and 36 mph skiers, and the wake gets better as the rope shortens. It also tracks really well. At slower speeds and longer line lengths, it has got a bigger wake than some competitors. This might be an advantage or not depending on what else you want to use the boat for. I personally would not put a tower on a 206 as it does not help the slalom wake any at slower speeds.

I recently concluded an extensive boat shopping endeavor. Goal was a do-it-all family boat, on a big water public lake, prioritizing 34 mph slalom. I also plan to keep the boat 10+ years and put 1000 hours on it with as much abuse as 3 little kids can dish out, so build quality was high on my list.

I ended up with a nearly prestine 2007 Nautique 206, which I added Zero Off to. About 25 hours into our first summer, I'm satisfied it's the best fit for us. I am not a fan of towers, but ours is helpful to keep the tube line out of the way for the back seat, and an elevated tow point for beginners. Our tower is "naked" and doesn't appear to impact the slalom wake at all. That could change with heavy speakers, racks, etc.

It is certainly a notch down from a 2014+ prostar or 200 from a slalom perspective, but handles the big public water much better. And really, when I'm out there, my own wake is the least of my concerns. Wind, other boats, and my own shortcomings make much more of an impact on my bouy count.

I'd look at the 206, Malibu TXI/LXI, and 2014+ Prostar. The 200 is worth a look too, but up to 2019 lacks interior space and 2020+ lacks storage. Again, I'm not here to say the 206 is a superior slalom boat to any of these fine machines, but the context of this thread is a guy coming from skiing behind a pontoon boat, not Nate Smith.

And re: low speed wake, its smooth as can be at 6.5mph for my 22 month old...lol. I look forward to my son and his sisters growing into and with the boat.

ryhm3qy8o77c.jpg

• Baller
@Blake5982 agree...u have a great boat In a SN 206 but they are harder to find in the wild—not many out there for sale...ever. I helped a friend source one out of TX low hours a few years back great boat.

• Baller

If the x9 is getting offered up then I’ll throw out the x-14. Better wake than the x9 and an awesome size for the family.

Not baller wakes for skiing but arguably a better overall family boat than many of the other options.

• Baller

I was in a similar place this time last year. Take a look at the thread from my post on the same topic.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/21955/advice-for-free-skier-on-best-wake-open-bow-used-boats/p1

I purchased a '07 Response and absolutely love it. My ski buddy has a '99 Sunsetter. We take turns driving on weekends so I have experience with both.

It is true that in open water with a full boat the nose of the Response will dip. If a wake boat goes by and you are not under power you will definitely take tons of water over the bow. You learn to goose it a little and get your nose up which almost always works if you do it correctly. Just takes practice. Get yourself a small shop vac and keep it in your dock box. For safety and given how crazy busy our lake gets we avoid middle of the day outings anyway. We have no issues at all in the morning and evening. My friend's Sunsetter has a marginally higher bow which may be enough to make the difference. We are rarely full of people so it isn't a big problem for us.

Regarding wakes between the two. Both are great wakes. GREAT. Having said that I ski 15 off @ 28-30 MPH. Over 30 the wake gets even smaller. I skied behind a 206 when I was looking at boats and at my speed I I experienced the wake to be bigger than the malibu. But, wake size is not my limiting factor in how good my skiing is, there are a 1000 other things I need to improve on before I blame the wake of a newer-ish model ski boat!

Also pay attention to the years for Malibu. Apparently it makes a big difference. I created a spreadsheet and if I can find it I will PM it to you.

I didn't read through all of the other posts so this all might be redundant. I just really appreciated how helpful the BOS community was when I looked last year! The boat we purchased has been a fantastic family boat and ski boat. All boxes checked! Good luck!

• Baller

@kirkbauer I was in same position few years back. I ski on big public lake too like @Blake5982 . slalom, footing, then of course knee board, trick ski, wakeskate, wakeboard, tubing, and maybe try surfing. We are a Family of 4 and at times we add some of their friends or even do a family 4 with us in it. I started w/ 1997 prostar 205. Awesome boat. Sold it and on the hunt in 2017 i was on the hunt for something newer, i was really looking between mainly Malibu and Mastercraft. I don’t like towers. Liked the SN 206 but ones i saw had towers. I was really looking for 2013-2016 Malibu TXI or 2012-13 Prostar 197. In 2017 i went with a 2015 Malibu TXI. Love it!!!! Has wedge on it too. 6 liter. Sometimes we do 2 families of 4, its a little crowded but that’s okay.. I have a fly high pole that we use sometimes when we have the boat filled with people.

I think any of these direct drives noses will dip in the water and take water over. Since 2012 with both of my boats its only happened to me 3 times. You will learn quick how to approach so don’t take water over.

Wakes: I’m just an average skier and working out few things on positioning & technique, i am working with @twhisper Terry Winter thru his website/Virtual. Any skiers that are awesome and has goood technique will be fine behind of these direct drives, shit any guys with good technique are fine and awesome behind wakeboard boats. I will eventually get there.

Agree w/ others, I’d be happy with any of these: Malibu TXI or LXI, MC prostar 197, SN 206 —- cant go wrong with any of these. Happy hunting....

As i looked around in 2017. Items important to me, no particular order — good wake, storage, $, good on large public lake, no tower, i was fine if it had high hours on it which means they been running it, zero off is great.... i went with my 2015 TXI (had 520 hours on it) and told my wife this boat will last me my lifetime (i put on about 75-100 hours on it each summer).

• Baller

I agree with @bananaron , @kirkbauer .. should check out this LXI. In this forum. Titled: “response LXI 2005 for sale”. By, @Ed_Obermeier

If i was in market I’d be picking this up. Looks well maintained inside and out. Beauty of a boat.

Can anyone comment on the differences between a Sunsetter LXI and VXI? There is a VXI for sale near me so I was curious. Also, is it worth waiting for a Sunsetter that is direct drive? The boat near me is a V drive and my primary sport is Slalom (just free skiing) so I would assume it might make sense to wait for a direct drive, but curious to hear other's thoughts... thanks!

Edit: just realized that the 'V' is probably to indicate that it's a V-drive.... so my first question is now probably answered