Good Investment? Transferable Nautique Warranty for $1600

iGOTit

What's your opinion? I just bought a used 2018 SN 200 6.0L with 70 hrs. Nautique cost to transfer the Base/Engine warranty is $1200 plus mandatory detailed dealer inspection which will cost $400 plus. I will be passing on the $400 Hull/Deck warranty. Transferable warranty will have 3 years remaining on the original 5 years warranty.

I'm looking into it right now but I believe as the 2nd owner, it's a parts only warranty. Dealers shop rate is $150 hr. so if I have a warranty problem labor cost can really get up there quick$$$$.

My previous 2003 OB 196 was super reliable. I owned it for 17 years and put 1020 hrs. on the boat and it NEVER saw the dealership. So do I role the dice and not get it? Or just suck it up and buy it for peace of mind. I can justify the expense with the rest of my auto, home, business and workers comp insurance that go unused.

But, a new Linc Display does run $4000 and the previous owner already had one replaced! (I might of already answered my own question??)

• Baller
You will want it in the event of a catastrophic failure, which almost certainly won't happen. My actuary side says don't get it, but I'd probably get it if it were me because peace of mind is worth something more than just the pure mathematical risk assessment. But so is the thrill of beating the system when nothing goes wrong. Damn it. I'm no help.

• Baller

I always pass on extended warranties. Sure, a time or 2 you might wish you had it, but over time, all vehicles and appliances, you are likely many dollars ahead by not spending the rich premiums they charge.

But, it's a personal choice.

Can you negotiate a better cost?

For dealers, selling these warranties is a huge profit center. Along with financing.

• Baller
So $2k to avoid the chance of having a $4-6k repair in a defined 3 year period? The $2k would stay in my pocket, but I tend to skip extended warranties as a general rule. I’ve probably lost out on 2 of 10+ vehicles I’ve bought new. 2011 BMW 335d and 2016 Yukon Denali XL were the two losers, but over 25 years of buying boats and cars I’m way ahead. Those programs are incredibly profitable (extended warranty, Certified Pre-owner, etc). I’d role the dice.

• Baller
@Ddecker, it is not an aftermarket warranty or an extended warranty the dealer is selling. Its just the OEM warranty transfer fee to Nautique and an inspection fee to the dealer for the mandatory inspection associated with the transfer. But, I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

• Baller
@jjackkrash - I know but it really comes out the same way. They are forcing you to pay to transfer so it might as well be an extended warranty as it is not included in the price of the boat. Seems crazy high for a transfer fee. I know all MFG’s do it but it seems to be a very shady piece of warranty fine print...

Thank you all for all your valuable input! I've been reading this forum for years but only this year decided to join and post on it. What a GREAT FORUM!! I cancelled my inspection appointment with the dealer for tomorrow.

I agree with Bdecker. A transfer fee should only be a $200 max. to cover the administrative cost. At $1200 and a very limited extended warranty they are just hosing the next guy.

• Baller
I look at extended warrantees like I do hitting on a 16 in blackjack. Either always hit or always hold. If you always take the warrantee you’ll probably have it pay off enough to feel ok about the cost. If you never take it, you’ll think you saved the cost and “stayed in the “game”. I suspect, like hitting a 16, the house has better odds.

• Baller
@iGOTit you may want to reconsider. We purchased a 2019 sn200 with 50 hours on it and debated whether to purchase the warranty transfer. We have since had to replace one cooling hose, two mufflers, one engine (oil pump) and now the steering cable. I’m sure glad my fellow club members won the debate to purchase the warranty.

• Baller
@MBlohm no it is the 6.0. Apparently it has a plastic oil pump that is known to have an issue with a check valve that sticks and causes momentary oil pressure loss. No so good for moving metal parts. Personally I miss the h5 in our last boat. Peppy and easy on fuel. The 6.0 has lots of power but stops at every gas station.

• Baller
@jerrym ok! I know of 2 H5 that had to be replaced due to oil pump failure. To go on topic again I would definitely buy the warranty. With all the issues I am aware of with new Nautique I wouldn’t dare to buy one without. Or if you could include an add on engine insurance which is possible here in Sweden. It’s more or less an extended engine warranty. Only possible for newer boats. But I have no clue how that works in the states.

If you want to start investing, then you should contact a financial adviser. Just this person will be able to halve your costs. When I first decided to invest my money in one of the startups, I lost a large amount of money. This has happened to me three times. Then I decided to look for information on how to avoid such unsuccessful investments. I came across information that a financial adviser is the first thing I should invest in. After much thought, I decided to look at how much does a financial advisor cost. I studied all the information in detail and still hired a financial adviser. For a year, the turnover of my revenues has doubled.