Radar Handles

pregom

• Baller
Most ballers here seem to gravitate towards In-Tow or Masterline handles. What do you think about the handles from Radar? On their website there seem to be 2 new handles: the Vapor Carbon Barlock and the Vapor Custom Barlock. They are quite a bit cheaper than handles from the other two manufacturers and I'd like to hear how they stack up against them.

• Baller

I have a radar handle right now measured fine and like the bar. But it believe they are all made overseas. Brenda is a Us sole proprietor and masterline is Russell Gay in the USA also. Which is also quantum skis and a site supporter.

I have my handle because it’s the best one I could grab at my local pro shop when my other handle looked chaffed. They are less money but are mass produced overseas.

• Baller

Same here.Very happy with the 36$ Radar handle that i ordered from Perf...just make sure you measured it before a tournament!!! @GaryWilkinson

Here's what i orderd from Perf.In fact ,ordered 3 the last time.

https://www.perfski.com/ski/ropes-and-handles/slalom-handles/radar-control-arc-radius-bar-lock-13-handle.html

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
Thought the Radar grip was good until I discovered Masterline. Never wanted to spend that much on a handle but now that I have will not go back. In fairness to Radar they are less expensive so you just can’t expect the same level of grip.

• Baller
Sorry if a bit off topic but I've been using a Proline for the past year. Seems to be holding up well. The grip to my HO gloves is really tacky. In falls it sticks to the glove for a moment longer already, meaning I get a little extra force sometimes. If there was more grip I wouldn't have a shoulder. I never feel grip is lacking.

• Baller
I have a Radar that I rotate with an InTow and a Masterline. I find the grip of the Radar equal or better than the other two, but the rope started fraying very soon- before there was any wear on the grip at all- I blame my ski, but if you ski with a Goode or Denali or other ski that tends to wear the rope, get one with tubing.

• Baller
I knew Masterline and In-Tow are made in the US and, yes, Brenda is great. I didn't know about (or think of) the mass production aspect of the others. If the quality is there, though, the price will be a factor I'll consider before deciding which way to go. Thank you all.

• Baller
Same as the dings from the old handles I would imagine ;) The barlock looks like the ones I bought that had the replaceable grips. I prefer my 1.1 radar to my inlaws masterline for grip, but that may just be due to their smaller diameter handle.

• Baller
I currently have a 12" Radar handle (whatever their top of the line was 2-3 years ago) that I pretty much stopped using because it was rubbing raw my left pinky (I'm right palm up). I'm not sure if it's the 12" size or the 3mm gap between the tubing and the ends of the handle. Most of the times now I've been using friends' ML or IT handles out of convenience as they already there on the pilon, but I'm thinking of getting my own handle for consistency.

• Baller
I have the Radar Vapor handle and it holds up fairly well. I made the mistake of buying a Masterline Team handle last time which only lasted my 2 months before it wore the rubber out. The Radar lasts at least a year. Two ski partners have a radar carbon bar lock. Where the rope attaches to the bar lock seems to wear out super fast. Within two weeks twice for one of the guys. To their credit Radar has warranties it. my big issue with the bar lock is that those ends are hard and heavy. Every time it hits the boat when someone is pulling it in or moving it you are afraid they are going to scratch the boat.

• Baller

I've been using Radar's standard handle (the $65 one, not the barlok) for years. I switched because that's why my local shop sells and the grip on the Syndicate and Accurate I had before wore out too quickly for me. I just replaced it with another. I'd love to see what the hype is about with Masterline, but I'm not willing to spend twice as much for a handle at this point. I have only had the handle pop out of my hands once this year and that was with a very end-of-life grip.

I go to Radar for handles, ropes and gloves. I'm not loyal to the brand other than to say that the gloves are amazing, in my opinion.

I have skied with both the carbon and custom barlock. I switched to the custom barlock after a bout with tendonitis. Love it in the 1.10. Not only feels good, but holds up well.

With the way the handles are tied, the custom barlock 13" feels like a 12" and the 13" carbon feels like a 14" to me.

• Baller
Biggest issue with Radar is overseas manufacturing. I do ride radar everything but wont buy radar product made in China or others. Besides the ProBuilds i dont know what is made in USA.So now will have to look for another brand. I bought a masterline handle this year and very happy with it.

• Baller
I went to my local pro shop last year with every intention of buying a masterline or intow, but I also knew I wanted to try a curved handle and my local pro shop didn't have any from those guys with curved handles, so I picked up the radar one. I think the vapor. I have been very happy with it so far.

• Baller

In addition to my ML and InTow handles I recently ordered a Connelly/Proline Pro Radius handle.

Fairly sure it is made overseas but at $79 it’s half the price of a ML.

Thought I’d give it a shot.

I really like the grip (feels very similar to the ML and InTow) only downside is - it came in 1.01” diameter (even though it is advertised as 1.11”).

I ski the handle occasionally but really need at least a 1.06.

• Baller

I have been wondering about the rope rubbing in the eyelets of the carbon barlock, @WIRiverRat - the custom barlock seems like a better design, but it doesn't have the spectra rope.

I'm also thinking about pros and cons of different lengths and diameters of the handle. It's mostly a matter of personal preference, I get that, but I'm wondering if there are general rules of thumb that can be extrapolated from those preferences. For instance, smaller hands => 12" length and smaller diameter vs bigger hands => 13" length and bigger diameter? Topic for another thread, probably.

• Baller
Handles are all a personal preference. I all come down to you get what you pay for. Many of the Connelly and radars handles only have gramounts on one side of the handle with the rope exposed to an unfinished drilled piece of aluminum. Everyone is goi g to have an option about this and it may get confusing at times. Get what feels best in your hands and fits your budget.