Fusion Freeride or Radar Lyric

klhahn

Hey everyone, I have been skiing in double boots on an HO S2 for about 7 years, and a System 8 before that. I am slowing down a little as I get older and have shoulder issues (that aren't going to get any better) so am looking for a ski that has an easier get up as I don't really want to give up the double boot thing. I am looking at the womens Radar Lyric and the womens HO Freeride Fusion. I think the Freeride will give me an easier pull up but am worried I will be losing the edge performance I have become so used to. I ski at 32mph on my S2, but need an easier up than it has so I don't mess my shoulder up. Would be happy for any advice or experiences you can share that would help me choose. I have ski'd on the Radar, and liked it, but am hoping for same performance with an even easier get up...wondering if the Freeride will give me that?

Thanks

OldboyII, I have been getting up in double boots for years now, but I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago and the shoulder is just not very stable...trying to find an easier get up to save wear and tear on it. Hoping I won't have to sacrifice too much performance from the ski but I'm probably dreaming on that one...

• Baller

I'd wonder if you could modify some of the adaptive waterski techniques. For instance the delgar sling can provide pull for people with a flail arm but you could adapt the concept and just leave yourself with some extra webbing past your finger tips. This is a modification on using a "clincher" type glove in which when that strap is wrapped around the handle and squeezed in your hand it won't easily slip. When you release your grip the strap will come off easily. Obviously this technique adds a bit of hazard if you were to get hung up and miss a deep water start. But with good communication to the driver you would be able to use the technique. Once you are up you would take that strap and tuck it into the vest strap while you ski.

Just thinking if you're not ready to change your performance but you are ready to get some pressure off the shoulder this might be a way.

• Baller

@klhahn I also have surgically restored rotator plus eight screws titanium plate in this shoulder.

After rehab for same reason changed ski for HO freeride. Yes it is very easy to get up. But after more sporty ski it was not the same, even for open water, moreover I felt it more dangerous when trying to cut a bit harder. Did not like it.

All we are different, I went harder way - training rotator muscles and changing start by understanding physical principles which make it easier or harder (in fact there are only two). Also doing it two feet in.

Do not give up!