DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HO SYNDICATE OMNI AND CARBON OMNI

bananaron

• Baller
Hey ballers what is the big difference between the syndicate omni and carbon omni.I had a VTR and liked it and now one of my ski partners wants one of the omni skis.He open water skis and usually skis at 34 and enjoys to slice up the calm glass water.Is it worth it to spend the extra bucks on the syndicate or will the carbon do the job.Any info would be appreciated.....thx

• Baller
I have a Syndicate omni. As the name says it is part of the syndicate line of skis. I believe It’s meant as more of a true crossover ski for the guy that’s actually trying to run the course. There is a video of @Horton running 28 & 32 off at 34mph on here. Also videos of Marcus Brown running passes. I think the Carbon Omni would be better suited for the open water/occasional course skier or someone just starting to learn to run passes. I think they are great skis. Last year was my first year back on the water in 15 years. The Omni made deep water starts easier and has allowed me to run passes to get back in ski shape and work on form/technique. I’m a left foot forward skier and used to hold the handle opposite what is taught. I’ve changed my grip and went from double Goode hardshells to the syndicate hardshell and rtp. I think the Omni made these transitions a little easier.

• Baller
I could be wrong but the I think the primary difference between the Syndicate and Carbon omni is the core material. Syndicate has a more high performance oriented core where as the carbon has a more forgiving core. I'm just learning to ski the course and have been on the carbon omni for the past few months. The carbon omni is a great ski, very stable/forgiving but has allowed my to progress and work on form while also completing full passes. I am skiing better than ever on the omni and am actually progressing. I don't think you can go wrong with either, if you are just free skiing, the carbon omni is a great way to go.

• Baller

From the bottom up the base omni is not a carbon lamination with the regular foam core and the hex/non-adjustable fin. The carbon now gives you the adjustable fin but at first it came with a 3 position slider fin (type you could shim w/ electrical tape if needed) and a regular core, and then the syndicate is the higher end core and the adjustable fin.

I think for 2020 all the carbons and syndicate omnis have had the adjustable fin and fin box but the older carbons did not.

For the $ the syndicate omni is a good buy under a grand when all the other syndicates are 1800 bucks.

• Baller
I'm on a 2018 Carbon Omni but added the Syndicate fin. As a relative novice, it's more than enough for me to work on making 15 off 32 mph more consistent. The ski isn't what's holding me back, my poor form is to blame for that. I really don't think a free skier needs the Syndicate. Get the Carbon and use the money for gas, new bindings, or some other gear. I'd be shocked if your friend is disappointed.

• Baller

@bananaron Folks here are pretty much spot-on...

Running surface is the same across all three versions...

Syndicate Omni=PVC core, full carbon layup, fully adjustable fin. 60/40 Course/Open Water

Carbon Omni=Machined PU core, glass/carbon layup, fully adjustable fin. 40/60 Course/Open Water

Omni=Machined PU core, full glass layup, non-adjustable fin. 20/80 Course/Open Water

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations