Should I buy a new ski?

gsmith795

I’ve been slalom skiing for about 5 years now. Exclusively free skiing. I purchased a Connelly Concept in 2015 and have been using it ever since. I’m at the point where I can cross the wake pretty aggressively, I ski at 32/35 off at 34mph and feel pretty good (probably wouldn’t survive the course, but I don’t have access to one). Would a newer and/or more advanced ski help take me to the next level? Or should I continue progressing on my current ski? Thanks all!

• Baller

Yes, do it!

Check our ski it again for lots of great options for high end skis for a fraction of new. Like a ‘18 or newer top of the line ski can be found for $500-600 if you hunt like a hawk. The good deals go quick!

I free ski as well and also came from a connelly concept to a ‘15 radar vapor. Just moved to a ‘18 vapor pro build. I can say I noticed a difference going from the connelly to my 1st vapor. Not sure I can say I have noticed as big of different going to the ‘18 vapor but it’s still fun.

Haha thanks all, always nice when everyone is in agreement. Although I can’t quite tell if the encouragement to get a new ski is because my current ski is older/inferior or because you all just love the idea of new gear ?

I was looking at Radar Senate/Vapor and HO Syndicate models and I’ll keep an eye on SIA to see if I can get a deal.

I went from a 2015 concept to a senate alloy 2 years ago and it didn’t help me one bit, getting the same bouys. I guess that means that I have other problems and the ski wasn’t the limiting factor. I have played with the settings on the senate a bit and it’s a good ski but not game changing in any way for me. It is wider so a little easier to get up on but that wasn’t a big problem. Anyway one thing about the radar is the vector boot is falling apart, not impressed with it, I generally ski 20-30 times a year and would like my ski boot to last more than a year and a half. Needless to say I am looking for a new ski and boot combo from a different manufacture. I have looked around and I’m not the only person who has had this problem it sounds pretty common.

• Baller

I'm going against the grain. You don't ski the course, so you really have nothing to gain by spending the money. A 2015 concept will get a good skier through 35 and into 38off at 34mph. Most of these guys saying you should spend thousands are private lake course skiing and are running 38, some better of course. In reality you aren't going to get your money's worth. I highly recommend getting to know your ski and playing with fin setting and binding placement, even getting a whisper fin or similar. You can absolutely improve your skiing and fun factor by doing this and saving your money. Plus your ski will be more than capable if you get in a course (which I recommend even if you have to drive a few hours and pay some cash, which you saved by not buying a ski).

I recently jumped on my old (2005) D3x5 for an evening of free skiing with buddies, it was set up perfect for me prior to buying newer skis. Low and behold i skied better on it than my newest ski, which is much more expensive but I haven't perfected the set up with yet. Bottom line, set up is critical, even more than year or price. Have fun with what you have.

• Baller
For me, I can see a conversation like this: "Honey (my wife), all the friends I ski with and all the people on this very interesting website (that is, BOS), are talking about how amazingly better the new skis are compared to older ones. I think my 2012 ski has served me well and I can really up my game with a new stick. You might see a long box showing up at the door in a few days." Hmm, ok, maybe the last sentence would get me in trouble...

@KRoundy i recently shortened the rope to 32’ off because the wake is much more tolerable there behind my 1986 ski nautique. I tried 35’ off the following weekend and thought it was even better. 34mph was also chosen based on how good the wake felt. 36mph feels a bit too intense for me at this point.

I’m really hoping to improve my form, stay stacked and on edge through the wakes, and dial in the timing of my turns to both prevent any rope slack and to help with throwing up a nice big wall of water ?

My concept is heavy and wide, and was only a few hundred dollars new, so I thought maybe a newer, more aggressive ski could help me continue improving my turns and carve the invisible buoys more aggressively.

I’m surprised how quickly the tone changed from 100% yes buy a ski to 100% no it’s not worth it... ?

• Baller
Actually I skiied on a Concept along time ago, and I always liked Connelly's. So Here's another Connelly story, I live in CA but have an family camp in the Adirondacks (on an island no less) and get out there every summer. Life long friend takes me skiing on his course he maintains on public water. So I keep a ski log and have done so for a long time, and I do not fly out with my current CA (not Connelly BTW) ski set up but pull an old Connelly F1 out that I keep back there (it is circa 20 years old) with decrepit bindings and guess what I ski that within a couple buoys of my CA ski. I am tending to save the money on a new ski ( some of the ones recommended are in $2000 range with bindings) and get some time on a course with the dough. And BTW you will need to be able to get through the wakes at longer line lengths. If you think an 86 Nautique has big wakes at 22 off try a new Ski Nautique (ok that was harsh).

• Baller

The 86 Nautique does have big wakes, compared to today’s machines. But, they are soft. Keep that ski on edge and knife through them.

A more performance oriented ski would likely help you reach your goals! Like others I would suggest finding a slightly used ski to try. Another idea - try some different or newer skis! Find a shop that will let you demo some skis. Ski on a friends ski. Getting a new ski is a commitment, so make sure it is one that you will love for years to come.

• Baller

To level set expectation. You can be into a ski that was $1500 new for less than $500 if it’s a few years old.

Selling your concept will mean it’s likely a $300 expense.

The new ski will weight at ~2 lbs less vs your concept - see pic

This is exactly what I have done. Would I drop $1500 on a brand new, top of the line ski - heck no. But a few hundred for a lightly used one - all day long! eekiz7jy83dl.jpeg

• Baller

@gsmith795

2nd ski is a ‘15 radar vapor. Would guess that new radar is even lighter. Don’t run same boot setup so can’t do a direct comparison.

There is a nice ‘19 Radar senate pro build on SIA for $650 OBO. Same year and model ski from a different seller sold last week for $600.

• Baller

@gsmith795 I'm just beyond where you're at skill wise from your description (and 98% free ski) and am planning to get a new ski via SIA before next spring at some point.

That being said, when I bought my Senate 5 years ago, I thought I was skiing well, but have come a long way on it. I'm sure the ski helped, but most of that progress came from coaching and skiing sets with specific areas of focus each time.

New skis are lots of fun, but if you're looking to improve, coaching has a better ROI.

• Baller
Do it. I went from a concept to a new Strada years ago, then to a new vapor in 16 and now to a 2020 vapor. Even open water free skiing is more enjoyable when you can advance and go harder than you could on your previous ski. It sounds like you have advanced and may need to upgrade to advance further. Happy hunting!