River Otters!

KRoundy

• Baller

Hi ballers,

I have a problem. This week river otters chewed on the hydraulic line for my boat lift and destroyed an expensive piece of hose. I want to protect my new hose and have heard rumors that some have ways of protecting the lines from otters or beavers. Some sort of wire mesh, or PVC pipe or maybe a Kevlar sock? Does anyone here have this problem or have some suggestions how to keep otters from chewing my hydraulic lines?

• Baller

Okay. I have the original set of (ruined) hose still. I’ll go to a local shop and have them make me a braided version or see if they have a sleeve that I could add to my existing hoses.

Thanks! Any other ideas or is stainless braid the best?

• Baller
The stainless steel mesh works around here until the critters keep chewing at it. Nothing is foolproof. We have a lot of boats on Hydrohoist lifts that muskrats like to chew on. Also I/O boats with their bellows are frequent targets of the muskrats. So far no problems on this lake but when I was on Lake Lanier in GA the muskrats were a constant issue. The stainless steel braid cable covers are pricy.