2020 Swiss Pro Slalom - LIVE Coverage : Sunday October 11

ROBOT

• Baller
That webcast was the best ski tournament coverage I’ve ever seen. It never felt like a big break between passes or even skiers. The replays filled time perfectly and all of the different views was incredible. I even enjoyed the cutaway to the boat drivers. They all appeared to be enjoying the action

• Baller

Amazing webcast and skiing!

TWSC are always improving with each webcast! Tony and Zack made a great job!

Kudos to the Stadlbaur family for putting up the best Pro event IMO!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Agree with all the commenters above. The webcast was great, no glitches, tons of great angles, even drone coverarge, no dead time. Very well done. And the competition was great too. Like the format, great bunch of competitors, and something no one has control over, some fun competitions right down to the end of both groups. Keep this up and skiing just might become a spectator sport again.

• Baller
One camera request during downtime would be a driver angle. There was a ton of times they would show Peggy before a run and maybe it is just the slalom geek in me, but I wanted to see her drive it with one of the hard pullers to see how she had to handle it from the drivers perspective.

• Baller_

@Horton, Cole received a score of 2.5@-41. At the time, it looked to me like he ran it over. Some time later, after JT skied and got 2@-41 to miss the cut for the finals, he protested Cole's score. The announcer said that Cole was out (buoy had been displaced) and, based on a better backup score from round 1, JT was in the finals. Then, the judges reported that the protest was not timely , since JT had already skied and some time had passed since Cole's round. So, ultimately, Cole's score stood and he made the cut for the final.

Cole's crash at that 3 ball in round 2 was very dangerous. Go back through the broadcast to see how close he was to catastrophe.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

One question I had was: what was going on at 6 ball at the one end of the lake? Both JT and Will Asher almost crashed after rounding 6 in round 2. Both had to execute some amazing recovery moves to finish and exit the gates. Both looked back as though they were trying to comprehend what may have caused their skis to suddenly stop and throw them forward.

Later, in the finals, Cale Burdick also had some sort of weird issue going into that same buoy (as #1 on a -41 pass). Very strange coincidences and some unexpected effects on their skis.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

When you think TWBC produced an amazing podcast, they come back and do even better.

Amazing job achieved by TWBC, Clint, Valerie and their team.

Don't know about Cole but some calls may be very close to call and judges do their best. I know I was wondering whether Cale Burdick went through the gates on round 1 @41... But again the view from the podcast is not the same view the judges have from gate cam so our view could be deceiving.

Finally I had hundreds of ski rides at Swiss and this is probably one of the best lake in the world where many 41s went down, including last week end.

The weather was on and off which may also have contributed to challenging sets.

Congrats to the Stadlbaur!!!

• Baller
@Horton in the second round Cole McCormick who was the 3rd skier off the dock I believe ran 2 1/2 @41off when Cole went around 3 ball the replay showed him displacing the ball. Nothing was said and the event went on and Cole was awarded 2 1/2 @41off. After Jon Travers filed to make the finals with a score of 2@ 41off. He then went to the judges and filed a protest and said Cole did not get around 3 and the ball was displaced. After the judges looked at the video Cole score was changed to 2@41 tiring JT but JT would go on to the finals with a better back up score. Once the decision was made Cole filed a protest stating that JT protest was not done in a timely manor. The judges went through the rule book and the decision was make that Cole would be the final 8th skier because JT did not file a protest earlier in the round. JT WAS 3rd from the skier in the second round.

• Baller

The rule still leaves a lot for interpretation. Was the protest (though tricky/tack), made after 30 min from when the results of the event were posted? You could interpret that the event would need to be completed for the “results to be posted” or is the interpretation that the results for the score that is being protested needs to be posted no more than 30min prior to protest?

7.04 Protest Procedure

Protests shall be made to the Chief Judge and shall be considered by the Appointed Judges. Protests must be in writing, give the reason for the protest, be signed by the contestant, and be filed no later than 30 minutes after the results of the event are posted and the judges’ scoring forms are available for inspection. If there is a tie vote of the appointed judges on a protest resolution, the Chief Judge shall break the tie.

• Baller

@JackQ The challenge of the score would not have been a protest IWWF Rule 13.04b. Video Challenge in Slalom for Gates and Buoys when Video is used. This challenge is used to challenge the score itself if some one (the skier or anyone else) feels there was an error in the score given to a skier. The challenge must occur before the next skier goes out or as soon as judged practical by the judges. It requires putting up $250 for the review to occur.

I wasn't there but I was watching the webcast. My understanding based on the webcast announcers (not official by any means) was that the challenge of Cole's score didn't occur until after JT skied. It appears that the challenge was successful to overturn Cole's score of 2-1/2 and it was changed to 2. That must have rearranged the skiers in the finals with Cole out and JT in. A challenge is decided by the CJ and another judge (someone who wasn't involved in the original call) reviewing the video and determining the score.

Given the ultimate outcome, it would seem that Cole then filed a protest (which can be done up to 30 minutes after the official scores were posted). The protest requires the person filing to cite the specific rule that was not followed and, assuming the protest is filed correctly, then it must be voted on by the appointed judges. In this case, the rule that would not have been followed is 13.04b. It seems it was determined that the challenge was not filed as soon as practical.

As an added point, Rule 7.04 above is in the AWSA rulebook which doesn't officially apply since it was a class R event (unless it was considered an administrative application of the AWSA rules) but either way, the same rules as I noted above are in both the AWSA and IWWF rule books with the only real difference being the fee to cause a challenge/review. In the AWSA rule book it's $100 where the IWWF rules it's $250.

• Baller

I was a judge when this took place.

We took a quick look at Cole's 3 ball and agreed with the calls of 2.5 without stopping the boat for a formal video review. There was also an angle up that made it look okay.

After closer inspection during the Video Challenge, it was deemed he center punched the buoy and submerged it.

We had just come out of 3 rain delays and were trying not to hold the boat on calls as to have daylight for the finals... there were several other close ones that we did indeed review.

No excuses though, we missed it; this was indeed a good challenge by JT.

13:01 reads that a Protest must be filed no later than 30 minutes after the results of the events are announced.

But 13:02 states that a Protest cannot be made on a judgement decision, except noted in 13:04, which is a Video Challenge for Gates and Buoys.

Here's the sticky part. 13:04 states that a Video Challenge must be made prior to the next skier going out.

JT was on the dock getting ready to ski. He arrived right after his set, still wet.

Judges do their best, but there will be always some subjectivity in calls, and mistakes. I think giving skiers the ability to throw the "red challenge flag" (NFL) is a good thing.

But we still need to figure out the best process to this I think.

I wonder if 13:04 should read more like 13:01 and give the skiers more time to challenge prior calls.

FYI both Cole and JT were gentleman to me. My apologies for the long post.

• Administrators

I was confused by this so I called the person known as "The Rule Book". "The Rule Book" explained to me that the international rules were written for international team competition such as Worlds. The expectation is that a rep for each team would be watching the event and if there was a question about a call that Rep would immediately ask for a video review.

This is a different process as with a Protest. Within 30 minutes of the results being posted does not apply to Video Review.

• Baller

@PSM wait ... “the second angle...”? The boat video is the official “angle”. And if there are more than one cameras in the boat, the CJ should make it clear which is the official view.

@Horton is correct that the IWWF rules have been written for a Championship event and the coach/manager should be paying attention to trigger a review.

IWWF rule 13.04 says before the next skier goes out or “as soon as judged practical by the judges”. So there’s opportunity for the score challenge to take place after the “next skier”.

Again I wasn’t there and now I’m confused about reviewing multiple videos.

• Baller_
If JT would have lodged his request for video review and as @PSM notes might have then been doing that when he was scheduled to ski, would he have not been able to take his set, meaning no provision in the regulations to file a protest / request when scheduled to be behind the boat to meet the 30 minute stipulation? Asking the question, don't know if that would have actually occurred.