2017 Prostar steering effort, is the cable shot?

Jaypro

• Administrators
450 hours? Likely need new cable. I'm not exactly sure what the factory recommended interval is for steering cables but I don't think it's a good idea to push the limits. Breaking a steering cable in any boat is wicked scary and dangerous.

• Baller
My 2015 boat has 430 hours, and the steering feels like new. Maybe that's because I lube the rudder every 25 hours and keep the boat in a low humidity garage when not being used. Some boats don't have grease fittings on the rudder. Is that the potential cause of your steering issue?

• Baller
@RichardDoane , yes I lubed the rudder. @dbutcher as we are building a house this year, it did live outside with its mooring cover all summer, could be humidity. I think I will just replace the steering cable and be done with it/

• Baller

@MichaelWiebe you can reach up along the steering cable and feel the zerk fitting from the rudder access port. It’s a difficult reach. The zerk is partially surrounded by a mounting bracket and four bolts. I was unable to get the grease fitting engaged from that direction.

I ended up removing the two rear screws from the center floorboard and lifting it a few inches. Just enough to see the zerk and to reach in with a flexible hose and 90 degree fitting. Per MC, I used white lithium grease and also coated the exposed end of the cable at the tiller end.

• Baller

Any hints on actual install process for a 14-20 Prostar steering cable? Can you pull the new one through with the old one, run a snake wire, or....? I've done plenty of older boats but the cables are a little less hidden.

I'll admit I haven't even started digging to see where the cable goes from the helm, but I have a cable to install over winter and want to make it as painless as possible.

• Baller

Can't speak for MC, but you can't pull the new one through with the old on a SN. The rack is attached and it ain't going nowhere, except out the front. Likewise the new one has to go in from the front.Tie a rope on the old one and pull the old one out. Leaves you a rope to pull the new one in. I've done it myself but it helps to have someone on each end.