TWBC

Stevie Boy

• Baller

I consider myself fortunate to live in Canada where we understand and use both systems daily. (Don't forget we have Imperial-British and US volumes of measure within the non-metric system too)

Thankfully TWBC exists and is making it a better world for us skiers.

• Baller

By the way, my apologizes to Tony Lightfoot that this discussion about his awesome webcasting of water ski tournaments got new life as a discussion on rope length measurement.

Along with my compliments, I made a shameless plug to go all metric, and it grew a bit like a snowball rolling downhill. B)

• Baller
@TonyLightfoot you do a great job Tony, from a fellow brit, insightful broadcast, I love the references back to thorpe, kirtons etc. I think the balance between ft & m is about right, after all, the rest of the world works on 10.75m, 12m etc... Others should note, at least its not doubly confusing by adding kph as well. Roll on the next broadcast :)

• Baller
For the debate for rope length, feet or metric have the in boat camera person show the rope color attached to the pylon before the deep water start. Sometimes there seems to be a confusion as to water rope length the skier is at. We all know the colors.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
@robmollysilverlake you are right but sometimes its not displayed because they only show a replay or the announcer does not have the latest info on the rope length. But if the boat camera looks at it before the skier starts.........every body knows. Simple (KISS)

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

I don't know how it could be any more simpler for a viewer than having the color along with both metric and imperial line lengths displayed throughout their whole pass. I guess they could keep the graphic up during the replay too.

If the camera just looks at the rope before the pass and you're not watching or paying attention to the screen before the pass starts how does that help once they're skiing? And if you are paying close attention to the webcast it's pretty easy to know what pass they're on. My point is that if you're not paying close attention you would be more likely to see the graphic during a pass, not a camera shot of the rope for a few seconds before they are even skiing in the course.

• Baller
Perhaps DFB should be used and keep the current system (distant from a standard official spot on the rear of all boats). It’s impressive to see how close they are when they miss at 41 and 43 looks like they could ski onto the platform! It may be easier for unfamiliar audience to get that wow factor.

• Supporting Member

If someone is tuning in who isn't a slalom skier, then I don't think the units will mean anything to them at all. Heck, they won't even grasp why a shorter line length is more difficult.

But if we consistently say how long the rope is, even in scary meters, then in just a few skiers, a newb viewer will realize that, for example, completing 11.25 is a big deal for pro women, and completing 10.75 is a HUGE deal.

That's all they need to know, and frankly all they could hope to know without spending thousands of hours banging their head against those buoys!

And those of us who are hard core slalom addicts are gonna watch it anyhow, so I think consistent metric is the best business practice for TWBC.

• Baller

Congratulations to TWBC for all the great webcasts this season. The skiing was great, and thanks so much for bringing that to us. The announciators were great, the video was great, and loved the insightful commentary and skier interviews.

Thanks so much. It's much appreciated. Hats off to the TWBC Team. Looking forward to 2022.

• Baller_
So one small thing I thought was kinda cool was hearing from Chris P via FT interview with Wade. Was interesting to hear and see why he could not attend. Hope they can expand on that idea. Alway wonder where skiers are that can’t make it to a stop and why. Adds to the personal story’s of the athletes. I felt bad for Chris.

• Members

One consideration not mentioned yet is the perception of increasing success as the rope on each successive pass becomes shorter. Waterskiing is like golf, in that the smaller the number [in metric] the better you're doing. It's conceivable that someone watching a pro golf tour stop who had never followed golf before might wonder why the guy with a score of 63 just beat the pants off the guy who scored 72.

In the same way, to the uninitiated, "three at thirty-eight" Just instinctively sounds like a greater achievement than "five at twenty-two" - which it is. So they can immediately understand why "six at forty-one" gets everyone at a tournament very excited - 'cause it sounds BIGGER, and everyone knows "bigger is better". I mean, just look at Ashley Graham:

http://micetimes.asia/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/4f2a22ce312bce61c44500c2521e620d.jpg

As always, IMO.