TWBC

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Another Great ! Webcast by the team at TWBC for the Mastercraft Slalom Pro Event, fantastic for the sponsors and the sport, it has come a long way from the early days but now the commentating and with the likes of Wade Cox and others interacting with the skiers is awsome, would be great if some sports bars could be persuaded to put it up on their screens.

Hats Off to Vince and the Team.

• Administrators
Historically I have been tepid on the subject of webcast. I'm a changed man. These guys have made me a believer. Vince and Tony and the crew do an amazing job.

• Baller_

If they can get an animated graphic showing the overhead relationship of the skier, boat, course, and rope (as it gets shorter) throughout each line length, then they would have a re-playable primer for the casual watcher to understand the sport. Explain the whole pass and the successive increase in difficulty. You can't just talk about it. You have to explain it with some visualization, especially to show the handle eventually falling short of the buoy. Throw in some stats on max speed across the wake and pounds (or, sigh, kilos) of pulling force.

One thing that they need to continue is the various stats on records, etc. Some examples were immediately recognizing Manon's potential European Women's record and the Men's 3-way runoff score as the highest for that occurrence. That kind of reference adds to the excitement of the tournament. We don't need to get out of control like baseball and football do, though. I don't think we care that it's the 12th time someone has run 39 off while wearing blue swim trunks.

All in all, they keep getting better and better. I even thought the commercials were cool and it was nice that they were short little filler blips during the action, rather than a lengthy cutaway that made you miss something.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
TWBC is fantastic. I love Tony, Wade and the others with the job they do, from commentary to video quality. I would have a bit of a concern that moving to a network, while potentially providing a cash infusion, might distract and consequently lose some of the focus that Tony and crew have.

• Baller

I do wonder if a chain of sports bars took it onboard, and various people like of budweiser or others were shown footage they could use it in adverts or promote their beer etc, in the sports bars.

TWBC could be the saviour of water skiing, we needed people with more personalties to move forward, personalties were starting to show through during the webcast, with everybody willing to contibute, exciting times, if the team can keep this thing going, I forsee great opportunities.

If people are prepared to sit and watch 60+ laps of F1 racing, surely the sport of water skiing has a bit more to offer, entertainment wise.

• Administrators
@Zman I get a lot of shit for talking feet off and not metric. If you ski L tournaments chances you are you know the metric but much of America still thinks in feet off. If you want to alienate potential fans do all know metric.

• Baller_

Just an observation on line length, stateside both metric and feet off are confusing to non tournament (new) skiers or observers (fans, friends, family). A shame that actual length in feet is not the US standard (watch the Coors light Michigan clip) which makes the explanation of line length relative to buoy distance from center easy to grasp.

TWBC does do a great job on the broadcast, keep up the excellent work.

• Baller

My wife watched most of the Swiss pro and all slalom rounds of the MC Pro. She is not a skier any more, her interest in skiing has faded and stoped skiing about 7 years ago.

She watched with a genuine interest, commented on skiers and their style and she even asked me what “safety check” is ?.

I wasn’t expecting this, so TWBC must be doing something that does look interesting and not only to skiers.

• Administrators

@LLUSA I think that Tony has come to a pretty good mix of metric and Imperial. The thing that gets forgotten is there are so many skiers who haven't skied tournaments for year's or never ski tournaments. A large percentage of them do not understand the metric and so an event without the Imperial has to be unwatchable or at least confusing. If the point of the webcast is to be entertaining to the widest group of people the Imperial is necessary.

I confess it is probably a bad thing but most Americans outside of Florida still think in feet off.

• Administrators

As a side note I sometimes wonder if this is how @TonyLightfoot feels about it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7JZaZH3ua/?igshid=qwtl15zvwu0l

• Baller

Personally, I think that Tony does a GREAT JOB offering both measurements. After all it is a World Wide audience. It is also educational for those that haven't correlated the two.

After all, if my Very Old feeble, alcohol soaked brain can understand it, anybody can !!!

• Baller

While I agree that it makes a lot more sense to relate how long the rope is instead of how much rope is coiled up on the floor I can understand why current skiers would prefer the line length to be relayed in "feet off" because that is how most of them think.

As others have mentioned, an interesting way to announce line length was the "feet on" method used during some of the ProTour years in the 80s/90s. While this made a lot of sense to the general public, it is extremely confusing for skiers.

• Baller

I do think for the general public or those not familar with line lengths, that the length of the rope would be easier to get your head around , rather than how much of the rope is missing, this could still be done in feet, the metric system already accomodates this, to help people to understand there needs to be change, nobody likes change but it maybe necessary.

Whether it,s metric or feet doeen,t matter, what matters that people can grasp the concept and difficulty of not having as much rope.