The saddest day in a water skier’s year...

Cnewbert

First post: I’m gonna jump in at the tail end of an old thread but...seemed reasonable.

Just got our first boat. Until now, we’ve been using a family members in the Michigan summers.

We’re planning to use it in Florida, throughout the winter and being honest, 60s is seriously cold for us.

Never had a need for a shorty, or a dry suit, or really anything more than a bikini. How do you go about getting a wetsuit? Do the surf shop ones do the job or are there specific choices for skiing?

• Baller
I recommend a Camaro Blacktech spring suit. They fit like a glove, no bulkiness, keep you very warm. If you're really chilly get the Blacktech full suit. Performance Ski and Surf can fix you up real fast. Great service and they will ensure your satisfaction.

• Baller
@Oldskier If that is an accufloat course you can submerge it. Just swap out the buoys with antifreeze/washer fluid jugs half full of water. I use zip ties to attach the jugs to a brass bolt snap and just clip it to the eyes on the pipe and let it sink. Two of us go out in a canoe and a rowboat. The only thing we need to bring out is a rope with a grappling hook.

• Baller
@litljenarey I hear ya! 60s is seriously cold for my wife and I as well. We are in Central Florida and we skied this morning. The air was in the mid to upper 60s and the water was 62˚. The conditions were perfect, save for the cold water. We could have skied in our Camaro Blacktecs. But would we have enjoyed it? The actual skiing, yes. But everything else about it, NO!! We would have been cold, we would have skied cautiously so as not to risk falling, and we would have dreaded jumping into the breath-taking cool water. It would have taken much of the fun out of an otherwise perfect day. But we both have O'Neil Fluid Neo drysuits. Thus, we were as warm as toast, enjoyed the fantastic conditions to the maximum, and were in no hurry to even get out of the water after our sets. And we skied with abandon, not the least bit reluctant to fall and get cold. These Fluid Neo drysuits are form fitting, streamlined and only create the very slightest restriction to movement... a tiny price to pay for being dry and completely warm. But in answer to your actual question: do not trust the manufacturer's size charts! If you are in Florida, go to Performance Ski and Surf in Orlando and try on whatever type of suit you are interested in, wet or dry.