Is a ski school vacation appropriate for an open water weekend warrior?

Keukaskier

• Baller
My lake buddies and I have always skied, but never in a course or on a private lake with any instruction. Its always been a Spring/Summer thing for us. Get a morning ski in and then do varying other lake things after the water gets either blown out or chopped up from boat wakes. I'm really intrigued in going on a ski vacation, but I'm also not exactly sure if we'd be out of place being around people who ski courses all the time. Or maybe that's exactly what we need? We're at varying open water ski levels, most of the websites of the ski schools say they teach beginner to pro. Is this true? What is the daily routine if you go to a school for a week? I'm thinking of going in March down in Florida, is it already too late to book a trip? What are your thoughts on this? Good or bad idea (we're all in our 40s)? are the ski schools even running with Covid going on? We're ready for our next adventure.

• Baller

First time I went to ski school I was in my mid 40s and I would only be able to deep water start 1 out of 3 tries. I had a blast and learned a lot of good drills to work on in open water to get ready for the course.

I highly recommend it. As LoopSki said you will be hooked!

• Baller
First of all, if you are an open water free skier, finding your favorite spot on a public lake and ripping it up...you are my hero! Next, what is your goal on a ski vacation? Do you want to enhance your present free skiing technique or try to run buoys? If you want to get instruction that enhances and improves your free skiing technique, that is something that you will enjoy for years and years to come. Instead of making 6 turns running buoys you can make 50 continuous turns in open water while improving your technique. Which skier do you think will be in better shape...the one that makes 6 turns or the one that makes 50 turns...

• Baller
10 years ago I was you. Then came a week at Swiss. One week at a ski school and you will be forever addicted to chasing buoys. Your current level doesn’t really matter. Nothing to be self conscious about. Skiers of all abilities will offer support and advice. Waterskiing pros are the most humble you’ll ever meet. Do it!

• Baller

Agree with @LoopSki that open water skiing will never be the same. I still free ski, but now whenever I'm free skiing, I'm thinking about working on something to help me run more buoys.

Be prepared for the fact that, depending on your open water technique, running six buoys on a full course is a significant achievement that could seem dang near impossible at first. The mini course is great for helping you see your progress and giving you encouragement as you work towards the full course.

I haven't been to a ski school since college, but they definitely work with all levels. I would probably contact several, tell them about your experience and what you are looking for, and go with whichever one you get the best feeling about from talking to them.

• Baller
@eyepeeler I think my first goal would be to not think of work for one second and feel like I'm on vacation (I have no doubt I can do that). My second would be get instruction to improve my technique so I can free ski better but also maybe be able to make a few balls. I've always wanted to ski a course, I know I'll get addicted to it. I'm just not sure I can afford the addiction :D Thanks for all your thoughts and advice I do appreciate it!

Absolutely worth it. I've been to several ski schools and am an open water skier with average skills. I first went in my mid-40's and made friends that have been dear friends since (over 15 years now). Go and have a blast. The only challenge is that you will likely ski a lot and by mid week you'll probably be sore. Protect your hands and listen to your body - and HAVE A BLAST!!!

• Baller

As others stated - do it!

You’ll have a heck of a time, learn a lot, meet a ton of awesome people and probably will change your skiing forever.

And to answer your further questions - no, it’s not too late to book the trip.

Most of the schools suffer from travel restrictions (Europe) and are sparsely booked anyway. And yes, even during the pandemic Florida ski schools are still operating more or less as usual. Following CDC guidelines in this sport is not overly intrusive.

We have a bazillion possibilities down here to pick from, my advice though would be to pick one school/coach and stick with him for the time of your stay.

That will give you and your coach ample time to get to know each other and really get the best out of your weeks stay.

What school/coach you’ll pick in the end will be of course totally up to you.

Do your homework and check out their sites and locations.

You can’t go wrong with either one. They all have their pros and cons.

I can highly recommend Thomas Degasperi in Windermere.

He is an awesome and fun coach and even offers on-site accommodation.

Cheers and have fun!

• Baller_

If you play golf, but don’t play tournaments, lessons still help you better enjoy your game. Snow ski resorts have huge ski schools to teach recreational skiers how to get better and to more fully enjoy the experience. The vast major of tennis pros don’t coach competitive players. Why would you think water skiing would be any different?

BUT, to best enjoy your experience:

1. Show up with a reasonable level of fitness. Don’t go straight from the couch to the ski school;

2. Don’t ski more than two sets a day until you are at least four days into your trip. Day one you feel like a hero. Day 2 you’re kind of sore. Day three you feel like you were hit by a bus. Day four you feel better. So don’t over ski early, but do ski through the discomfort; and

3. Don’t wait until your hands are bleeding to tape up (or otherwise protect your hands). Tape on day one and your winter soft hands will make it through the week.

LaPoint Ski Park is located in Orlando, 10 minutes from the airport, close to Disney, Universal, restaurants, bars, and hotels. If the names aren’t familiar to you, Google Kris LaPoint and Jennifer LaPoint, site owners and head coaches.

Lpskier

• Baller_
@Keukaskier - great for you, maybe not so much for significant other if she likes you to actually work on the honey do projects ... addiction is an all consuming endeavor. Just like the white powdery stuff (come on, I am referring to that fluffy Utah snow) buoys are destructively addicting:-) You will learn a lot, have a great time, meet awesome people and book a return trip all within a week. Enjoy.

• Baller

Reinforcing what was stated above about TALKING to a few coaches before you commit. Effective communication is the foundation of any productive relationship, especially that of coach/athlete. I’d prepare a list of questions/topics intended to give me a better sense of how well we connect, ie:

1. Describe your coaching style.

2. Name, in order, your top 3 skills/things a skier must improve/master...and YOUR key(s) to making each happen.

3. Can you recall an example or two where you had a struggling or ‘stuck’ student, and how you broke them free to continue progressing?

4. Here’s where my skiing is ‘at’ and ‘here’s’ where I want to go; what will you/we do that will help me get there?!

If you can chat with a few former students, even better - to learn how their reality lived up to expectations...or didn’t!

While you will get several ‘same’ answers from coaches and students alike, I expect you’ll here enough differences to help you assess compatibility and make a more educated choice.

• Supporting Member
Some good advice already given. Back in three day our ski club went o ski actin Florida as a group. Great times! @lpskier has some good advice. Adding to that I would recommend two rides a day morning or afternoon, take Wednesday off. Go check out the area the other times. Enjoy

• Baller
The main difference between free skiing and course skiing in my opinion is timing. You can learn a ton just free skiing. This summer my ski buddies worked on my stance, beating into me the importance of being stacked. I improved a lot. And then you try the course and you realize that you are not there by miles! Those little suckers come at you in rapid fire and they spit you out before you can realize what’s going on. Go to a school and let the pros work on you. You’ll never look at skiing the same way after you do that. Have fun!

• Baller

We get a ton of skiers that come down that have never run the course before, and honestly it's one of the most fun and rewarding things for us. It's so fun to get people through the course for the first time.

Lots of things booking for March, but definitely still some space. Please let me know if you have any questions, we'd love to have you.

• Baller

While I'm no pro, I've coached newbies through the course for the first time, and also coached skiers to be better free skiers--would echo @theboardingschool comments. What's fun about newbies is the big progress and unbridled joy they have. Great skiers you can maybe coach an extra buoy into them. New skiers may pick up an entire pass! It's fun to pass on the love and enthusiasm to new skiers and "hook em" for life.

Go do it!

• Baller

I highly recommend it! I was a free skier that first went to ski school in my 40's. It was awesome. I too wondered about being a newbie. As already mentioned in this thread, everyone was very welcoming and I started meeting so many wonderful people in this water ski community. I too got addicted to skiing the course, but I still love my free skiing. I highly recommend @lpskier suggestions about physical preparation and pacing yourself.

I recommend finding a place that has a fun, low key vibe, where you can ski and learn, but also has room for you and your lake buddies to hang out between sets. It is your first ski school, and I think it is best to go with an mindset of low pressure, wanting to learn and try something new, not set expectations on performance, and instead enjoy getting to spend a week doing something you love and hanging out with friends. Nothing is better than a day skiing and hanging out by the lake with skiing friends. You surely will have some good stories to share on the dock. One will likely be, "Wow those buoys come fast"

I haven't been to many FL locations, but can recommend the @theboardingschool . I think they would be a great first ski school experience.

• Baller

yes yes yes!!!!

every level of skier will benefit from coaching at a ski school! from personal experience the schools I have attended and worked at welcomed all level of skiers! and just because you go to a school does not mean you have to ride in the course...

get out there have fun... learn something new and enjoys the sites of the community you are skiing in! I love the orlando area for vacations... or check out east TEXAS like the austin area so much to see and do

We have a ski site in Michigan with onsite lodging- while we can offer coaching too- if you and your buddies want to "get your feet wet" on a private course and lake before committing to a full ski school feel free to look us up- even if it's just for a long weekend! We can offer huge ski set (boat and driver included) discounts when guests also stay overnight. Www.myforestlake.com password Ski2021

• Baller

My wife and I first went to Bennett's in 2003, I think we were probably 24 at the time. We were sharing our own HO Mach 1 with an adjustable front binding and RTP between my wife and I, we actually brought that with us to share as our "good ski". We had barely ever skied behind a "real" inboard boat. Had never run the course, and I'll never forget I blew my first deep water start in front of a dock full of college kids! Sully was coaching there at the time. I think UCLA and Illinois ski teams were there that year.

By the way, how did we hear about ski school? Waterski magazine article about Sully hosting Todd R. down there and hitting the big easy and everything. Made us want to go, would never have known it existed otherwise.

Since then we have been totally immersed in the sport and it's a major part of our family lifestyle. We ended up going back multiple times with no kids, pregnant, one kid, two kids, etc.

Most of the time we're the only "grown ups" there and we fall right in line with the college teams and whoever else is there and it's an absolute BLAST every time. We meet people from around the world and come home with stories we tell for the rest of our lives. I believe I was even voted MVP partier by UWM and Marquette in '16, no joke. Won a bottle of Rumpleminz for that honor.

• Baller

Well I'm all booked! I can't wait to make some turns and finally see some sun come March! I decided to take a two week solo road trip down south with a few stops along the way and end up at ski school : ) Thank you all for your words of wisdom, motivation and kindness! I think this will be a great adventure.

Ok, so what does a northerner wear skiing down in Florida come March? What water temperature range should I expect to see?

• Baller

If you are going in cold on winter and not in shape Gordon Rathbun has some drills online he recommends starting pre-ski-school to limit the muscle soreness. As others have said take care of your hands from the get-go don't wait til they are bad.

Winter temp in FL as mentioned above different from north to south it's a long state, and it varies just by dumb luck. We've skied Ft. Lauderdale same time of year, two years in a row, with every day in the 80's and every day in the 60's.

Ask the school for advice on temperature gear.

• Baller
Ski Paradise in Acapulco is a definite must do. Amazing food, beautiful Villa overlooking Acapulco bay to stay in, 80 degree water, the Pacific Ocean is nearby for surfing, golfing also nearby. The people, 85-88 degree weather every day makes it amazing. Great coaches and you get 6 days of skiing. Put it on your list for sure!

• Baller

As others have already said, you should probably be fine with just a heater shirt, but everybody is different. Given that you have mostly been free skiing, let me also add that course skiing is quite different from free skiing. With free skiing, even if the water is cold, you don't stay much in it: you do your deep water start and then you are just more dependent on the air temp than on anything else. With course skiing, on the other hand, you spend much more time in the water than above it: you start, one pass is over in 20-25 seconds and you drop back in the water and you wait (for the boat to come around, for your coach to give you comments, etc.). If the water is cold, it gets to you quite quickly.

Have fun! I'm envious!

• Baller
@pregom that’s a good point I didn’t think of. When @lpskier said the water was 66 degrees, I was thinking that’s not too bad. But if I’m in the water more than not, that could be pretty cold! Let’s say I need something more than a heater shirt (I don’t have much of a layer to protect me from cold). What are you all wearing?i’m thinking I’ll be humbled and sitting in the water more than I’d like : )

• Baller

@Keukaskier since you are taking a road trip and you will arrive in Orlando early, I'd suggest you bring everything you have and you play it by ear. See what the weather is like as you get close to your ski school week and decide if you need to stop by Performance Ski for any supplemental layer. There are several manufacturers that make great products.

To answer your question about what we wear, I can tell you what I use as the water gets progressively colder (not in Orlando, of course): a heater shirt, a 2-3mm short sleeves wetsuit, a 2-3mm long sleeves wetsuit, a drysuit (a non-baggy kind). For all the wetsuit/drysuit combinations sometimes I also wear a heater shirt underneath.

• Baller

Congrats on your booking your trip. You will love it!! Excellent recommendation from @pregom regarding time in the water after dropping at the end of each pass. That is when you get your coaching. Personally, because I am used to (and like) cold water, a heater top in March in Orlando has worked for me. But if you have a shorty, bring it too. You want to be comfortable.

Remember to take these next 2 months to be as fit as possible. Because you drop after each pass, 2 sets a day (6 passes in a set) results in 12 deep water starts each day. That is a different experience for free skiers.

Also, I highly recommend a trip to Performance Ski. They have everything and I can always find something I "need". HAVE FUN!