1998 ski nautique

seveet

• Baller

I am super excited. I finally made it work to buy a 97-99 nautique. It seems like everyone raves about these boats. Is there anything particular to these boats that I should look for prior to completing the purchase? It has a GT 40. Regular maintenance has been performed. I won’t be able to do a compression test. It has approximately 900 hours. There is a link to a video of the boat below. I know the trailer looks a little rough, but it should be in the water except for winter time. Thanks

• Baller
Nice looking boat, I had a 97. Great wakes and it will handle the chop quite well. As for the trailer you could always take it to a paint shop to have it sandblasted and repainted. Not necessary but would save you money in the long run.

• Baller_
Depending on how far you have to tow it home, look very closely at everything on that trailer. Last thing you want is a break down on the road heading home. Test ride it for sure. There was a list of things to look for when buying a used boat on here somewhere..any brand. It's a good resource if someone can find it and post. I own a 97 and don't think there is any particular thing to look for. A lot can be determined by a good loooong test drive and maintenance records.

• Baller
Looks like a great slalom tug. First order of business: get the trailer bearings serviced (repacked.) Second: Make sure the engine is ready to go... It says regular maintenance was performed. If that means impeller and oil changes that's a good start.... but you need to look into fuel filter, trans fluid, spark plugs, distributor cap/wires. Then next step will be perfect pass (preferably 3 event with z box if you're running the course.) Congrats that's a beauty of a boat and will last you a LONG time.

• Baller

@Wish that does look close, do you think that the previous owner pushed the engine box back to make room for a tall wakeboard pylon?

@seveet check the wood on the bunks and the trailer steps for rot. If the trailer was wet frequently, the carpet likely held water and accelerated the rot of the steps. I say that from personal experience with my first trailer.

• Baller_

I would also make sure the tires are new. If they are older than 4 years, go get new ones before you trail the boat anywhere. Tires will rot out in 4 years and if it lets go of the tread, it will tear up the trailer and very likely the side of the boat.

It looks like the lower half of the motor box needs to slide forward to avoid one of the engine pulleys from rubbing. Remove that piece of PVC on the pylon and the lower motor box should slide right up to the pylon.

Looks like a well maintained boat, at least cosmeticly. A few nicks and scuffs, but that would be expected on a 20yr+ boat.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Nice boat! +1 on the trailer comments regarding prep. If it's not been used much make sure its prep'd before any road work for the reasons stated. Don't know if those came with bearing buddies but if not present that would be a concern to bearing soundness. I've not owned these boats so may be normal but the fins look short to me. My boats are longer and swoop rearward. Curious why you cant do a compression check if you're of course going to test drive. Definitely agree with @Wish and others that the pulley is too far forward. Looks like engine box has definitely been moved back a bit , yes likely for pole over pylon. Keep us posted.

• Baller
@Wish It looks like motor box cover is blocked by something on the pylon.A white plastic ring.I think the cover needs to be moved forward.I agree a long boat ride tells a lot about a boat.I have purchased a few and I always have a long list of things I do before buying it.Like you can pull the dipstick to ck the oil and ck trans fluid.And certainly I ck by opening the motor box cover to see if its dry and do the same after the long test drive.If anything is leaking it will usually show up after a long drive.The trailer can be worked on this summer probably will need new bunks and whatever else you find.GOOD LUCK.....ENJOY

• Baller

Tires on the trailer. 2 siblings of mine blew tires towing the new to them boat home. Also the bearing grease if you are going very far.

Sure can blast/paint the trailer if you want. Looks like the boat needs a nice gel detail then should be very sharp--interior surprisingly good.

THe shocks to hold the glove box door up always go bad--the glove box door is HEAVY duty and heavy. Can get upgraded shocks at NAPA.

Mine is in storage but agree with others there seems to be some tight relation with clamshell motor box and the motor--make sure no friction there when running. Looks to me they moved the box back so easy to move it back to be snug to the pylon like it is supposed to be.

If the steering isn't absolute butter--replace the steering cable and the rudder grease--you will be so happy you did--will be absolute butter. If the throttle is sticky at all--same for throttle cable. These are small upgrades/maintenance but make it feel SO nice to drive.

Pour gas in her slowly if you don't want it to puke it back at you at the pump. Don't say I didn't say so when your clothes smell like gas!

Other than that...these things are solid like a rock. Great ski boats--drive nice, track nice, nice wake. GT40 is a strong motor.

• Baller
Here in orlando we called that white plastic ring a bull ring. A veteran local inboard mobile mechanic named Bull always left one after servicing, it was used to prop the motor box cover open to let it air out. It works great, just don’t travel with the box propped up on it, it will cut the carpet and trim at the bottom of the box as the box bounces up and down traveling down the road.

• Baller

I have a 1999 Nautique with a similarly old & crappy trailer, and I have blown a trailer tire twice. It really sucks. The first time was bringing the boat home from out of state when I bought it. The second time I was taking it to a lake with my wife and kids in the car. And here's the kicker: the jack in my F-150 isn't tall enough to get the trailer off the ground to change the tire - I ended up having to call a tow truck.

Since you probably can't get the trailer serviced or tires replaced before you bring the boat home, my advice is to buy a large jack to keep in your car, and bring it everywhere just in case. I bought this one. It's a beast, but it's well worth avoiding the hassle - take it from me!

• Baller
So, I brought it home.overall in good shape. Definitely needs a little love. Took it out tonight fora quick ski tonight before I drop it off at the shop to get the issues address. All I can say is ?.

• Baller

@seveet - Thank you!! Last year I purchased a Shurhold Pro Rotary Polisher (this is NOT a random orbital polisher - this is what the pros use) the wool cutting pad, a foam wax pad and the polishing bonnet and the premium pad holder. I used the Buff Magic compound from Shurhold as well as their Polishing Wax. Overall I am very pleased with the products from Shurhold. I learned how to buff boats and cars when I worked at an auto body during my college years. It was fun to get back to doing that - the results are worth the effort. In order to get the hull clean I had to use straight muriatic acid - see the What is this White Substance thread for my journey there.

The interior of your boat and the running surface (from the video at least) looks to be in great shape. Great find!

@Ski2000 - thank you!! One other member on here has the blue reverse gel too. @storm34 I believe?

• Baller
@seveet Nice Find! We have a 1999 SN GT40, and LOVE IT! I have buddies that routinely ski behind newer boats from all brands, and they will often say, "NEVER sell this boat, it has the best wakes of all of them combined!" Now, with that being said, it does have its quirks, and obviously some compromise of interior space compared to some newer 20' inboards. I just had to replace my low and high pressure fuel pumps (one inside the FCC, and the one just below the FCC), but other than that, it has been nearly without issue. After looking at your video, I looked at our engine box, and I agree, it looks like yours has been moved to the stern somewhat, as there is less clearance in the front to your lower part of the clam shell. (FWIW)