Kim McLain Medical Fund

Horton

• Administrators

A lot of you  know SkiDawg, aka Ward Mclain. Or his Uber-Athlete kids, Logan and Landrie.  But fewer know how deep the competitive DNA runs in the Mclain family. Ward’s wife Kim is an OG baller herself.  She used to get out and hold her own on a waterski when they lived at Olde Oaks in Shreveport. But her real forte is mountain bike racing. I recall her showing up at a waterski tournament to ski looking like she’d been in a brawl with a mountain lion.  Only to find out she’d come straight from winning a mountain bike race to ski in a tournament. 

Unfortunately, Kim did take a hard spill on her mountain bike on Monday April 26th, which had her being airlifted to a Level 1 Trauma center.  She was left with a fractured left hip, the head of her right hip was pushed through the hip socket, a pelvic fracture, 2 sacrum fractures(I had to google that ouch!), and fractures in her L4 and L5 vertebrates.  One monstrous 10 hour surgery later, humpty dumpty is put back together with bailing wire and duct tape, and back home on the mend.  According to Ward she is looking at 8+ weeks non weight bearing on both legs. And faced with who knows how many months of physical therapy.

Even worse than the trauma from the injuries to Kim and watching her go through this for the rest of their family, Kim and Ward’s insurance wasn’t set to start for 2 more weeks. So now they are faced with the financial perils of not just a lost income for a significant part of the year, but also the mounting hospital bills as they arrive.

Ward and Kim have given so much to all of us, as well as  to multiple sports.  Friendship, first of all. Not to mention places to stay when we’ve been in town and mental support during races and tournaments.  If you can afford to give to help out a great family in a time of need, please do so.  

Donate to the Kim McLain Medical Fund

Kim4 1

• Administrators
@BS74 they now have insurance. The problem is they were transitioning between policies and were not covered when Kim needed to be airlifted and surgery. She is now covered and recovering but the bills are also still there.

• Baller

Add to it airlifts are famously almost never in network. Patients aren't able to say no or cost compare so airlift companies never negotiate to be in network and it's always $$$$.

Even for folks with coverage it's nearly always a 20K noncovered flight.

• Administrators

I don't know what's going to happen with the medical bills My attitude is the money we've raised will allow Ward to not think about his day job while he nurses Kim and his son Logan back to health.

In a completely separate incident Logan was on a road bike he got run over by a car. Had surgery yesterday. At least he is fully insured. Injuries are not minor but he will fully recover quickly because he's young and a badass

• Baller
Heads up ballers, I tend to be direct and to the point....no lengthy pages of dialogue deep from within expressing inner most thought! But, the past month has been a literal SHIT storm like nothing I could ever imagine. @Horton , @Dirt & @ForrestGump ser up this GFM page, I would never ask for it but it is appreciated none the less. My family is at a loss of words from the absolute overwhelming support received from the ski community. Chasing bouys drove me for the majority of my adult life and I have created friendships that I will cherish till my last breath. For this I am forever grateful and I am thankful for each and every one of you. Much love and respect!! Cheers

• Baller

Just as an addition to the gofundme efforts, Cottonwood is hosting a 9 round tourney this weekend, 100% of entry fees (and any other donations) will go directly to the McLain's. There is also a funraising dinner Sat night at Taqueria San Miguel which they have generously agreed to donate 10% of all their sales from 5pm to close...so if any of you are within ther area and want to come ski, have a great meal, and a chill relaxed fun time come on over and rip some turns and guzzle some Margaritas!!

l6yz50y5zcbg.jpg

• Baller
Besides all the skiing, axe throwing, the "circle of trust", mass amounts of laughter and fun the fundraiser tourney at the Wood raised just over $6000...thank you to all those that came out and made it an amazingly fun and relaxed event, and thank you to all that just donated without participating!! One of the best tournaments at The Wood yet...