INFINITY SKI BOAT

bananaron

• Baller

Did you already buy and sell that Nautique?? Ha Ha

Anyways that boat turned into the Svfara SV1 and my friend has one of those. I haven’t skied it for about 8 or so years but remember it being a pretty nice wake. With the center mounted V drive the hole shot and handling was crazy fast. Not sure why others didn’t try the V drive but it is probably unnecessary.

• Baller
Very unique driving characteristics due to engine position/V-drive. Rather firm, hard wake at 22 off. Think you would be better served with a major 3 brand boat of the same era. There are reasons they were made only a year or two.

• Supporting Member

One version of the Infinity had the hardest 22-off bump I've ever experienced. Literally made it more difficult than -28.

But they did some things to fix that, and I recall skiing some that felt great.

Never drove one.

• Administrators

The boat pictured above does not have the "wings". The wings were a bolt on part that massively improved the wakes. They attached at the chine at the back. I have never skied one of these boats without the wings but with the wings the boat is very nice. The one that I have skied behind a lot was personally set up by KLP.

My understanding is that without the wings and without smart set up the boat might ski like CRAP.

• Baller_

If I remember correctly from the waterski magazine boat buyers guides..it depended on the year of production if it was good or meh. Smart interior layout.

What yr is the one you are looking at?

• Baller

Funny story...

A year or two after that boat came out, they didn't have a Canadian dealer or even a wholesaler. I got curious and asked what the price would be, and if they would sell a boat to me directly. So I sent an email to Rob Shirley enquiring.

Much to my surprise, I got an email back from Rob saying not only would he sell me a boat, but offered to sell me the whole company.

Wasn't something I was interested in at the time but I thought it was kind of cool.

I noticed that Camille Duval has one.

• Baller

I think the story was that Rob Shirley had signed up a bunch of Mastercraft dealers that he knew, to carry the new boat. When Mastercraft got wind of it, they threatened to pull out of any dealers that went ahead with the Infinity. There was likely language in the dealership agreements preventing them from carrying a directly competitive line from another manufacturer.

My understanding is that when Infinity lost most of its dealer channel, they were in a bad spot. Too bad, because given enough time and money, Rob Shirley might have really developed that center v-drive idea into something good.

• Baller

Two of my friends have Infinity’s that they love, I occasionally ski with them. Even they avoid the 22’ bump, by skiing at a different length.

While the boat has its flaws(wake, handling, transmission noise, fit and finish...), it did foreshadow the larger and wider boats of the current era. The ZX-1 makes my CC 196 feel narrow the same way a late model TXI does.

• Members
I was in M2 when the Infinities were made. Seemed like M1/M2 skied behind it or the Deathstar every round. The tournament organizers didn’t give those two boats to themselves, their wives or their kids. They both skied all right at 36 -28 and shorter though. Looked rough at the slower speeds. I’d have preferred the Nautique or Malibu, but my scores probably were not affected. Similar to now. I have my preferred boat, but my max score is the same behind all of them.

I have had a ZX-1 since April 2004 and is a 2002 model. It sports a v-drive. I recently replaced the prop and the guy helping me, a dedicated prop guy for 30 years, said "I have never seen a prop this far forward." That, plus the room, distinguished it for many years. I still haven't seen another both with the hole shot or handling that would top it. 22' off does have a rooster and big pop, but overall I get rave reviews from novice and seasoned skiers alike. The beginners love the power as do those that don't like to get dragged. I love the handling - truly incredible.

It has been amazing quality overall. So few issues - just a few things like a water pump and the hot water heater - stuff that any boat would have over the course of 19 years. I have 520 hours on it.