Possible fuel issue?

MacsBrendella23

So, we took my 93 ski brendella out today after redoing the entire steering system to test it out. The steering was great, but I noticed my 351 PCM was super hesitant. I put it in gear and it died right after launching. It didn’t start running clean until I got it fully warmed up but even then it was lagging a bit. I was thinking a fuel filter then cleaning up some lines and adding seafoam to the tank. I dont know how long this fuel has been in the boat but I’d suspect awhile. Last owner didn’t use the boat much and the fuel had to have been in there at least over winter. Full tank too.

Just curious what I should diagnose and what to replace first then move forward. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Baller
+1 for @Rednucleus list - in addition to whatever you dump in the tank. Fresh cap, rotor, plugs and wires will make a world of difference if it's been a while. Just replaced mine on a 92 Hydrodyne (GM 5.7), wasn't having problems, but just way overdue. Can feel a noticeable difference.

• Baller

Sea Foam is great stuff, but if the primary jets are plugged from bad gas it probably won’t help.

Full bottle in tank or 1/2 tank won’t hurt anything.

Might have to pull the carb (actually just pull the metering blocks) and clean the primary jets. Holley 4160 is a easy carb to work on.

New ignition parts won’t hurt either, then you have a baseline of what’s been replaced with new and you can move forward with trouble shooting.

• Baller
On my 96 351 changing the coil wire solved a lot of issues. That plus the list of tune up items above, filters and sea foam worked better then chasing fuel delivery for me. Rebuilt the carb when it wouldn’t hold idle speed even when warm.

• Baller

I suspect primary metering block, idle fuel orifices, likely boogered up.

Idle mix screws likely ineffective? either should shut engine down when gently closed, else the circuit is not contributing.

Topical additives unlikely to remedy. I suggest take apart the primary side as been said and go thought it

• Baller_

If your fuel lines are original or have not been replaced for a long time, change them to ethanol compatible lines. Ethanol is not compatible with '90's generation fuel hose. The debris from decaying old lines loves to find a home exactly in the place you don't want it.

Your running description suggests the choke is not set correctly, either too lean or more than likely too rich.

• Baller
First do not try to treat bad gas drain it, siphon it out what ever is easy for you. Just get out as much as you can. Phase separation of ethanol blended fuel is a terrible thing. Then put fresh gas in tank with Sea Foam

• Baller_
Not a dumb question at all, anything that needs spark or fuel containment tends to require marine parts, although your example of plug wires and plugs are not one of them. Starter, distributor cap, alternator, carburetor are on the list. Another is thermostat due to corrosion issues related to an open cooling system and engine water temperature requirements.

Am I able to test out my idle, and possibly run the boat while at home. So I’m not taking it to the lake and finding out changing spark wires/ plugs, cap etc didn’t work. Am I able to rev it up while just flowing water from my garden hose without damaging my impellers.

• Baller_
@MacsBrendella23 - running the boat at no load in the driveway may be deceiving and a good way to be fooled in thinking all is good. With no load, there is a good chance it will sound fine & when you rev the engine it will also seem okay, that is until you put a load on it and more fuel is required. The at home test is fine for checking timing, verifying raw water pump is working and there are no leaks. Doubtful plug wire and cap issues will be determined in the driveway, for that measure wire resistance and do a visual inspection of the cap although a small crack will be hard to see. And by all means do not put the boat in gear in the driveway, the shaft bushings use water as the lubricant.

• Baller
@MacsBrendella23 First fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and stick your water intake hose and garden hose in it. Then fire it up. As long as you still have water over the suction hose end you can know that you're ok.

• Baller
No. You’ll not be able to rev it up in the driveway. My 92 Hydrodyne will empty a full 5 gal bucket even with the hose running it in about 20 seconds just at idle . I can’t keep enough going into the bucket to keep it from emptying, and again that’s just at idle. My 83 MC I can stick the hose in the trans cooler and let it run(idle) but it’s still getting less water than when in the water. And as noted do NOTput it in gear out of the water

• Baller
what is used is not the issue. It's the capacity of the water going into it that is key. Most garden hoses are not high volume pressures. Turn yours on all the way and see how long it takes to fill a 5 gal bucket . To @LeonL point, fake a lake can't change the volume from the hose