Is it true high end ski is always best if I have a lof of money?

SKIbeginner

hello.

I'm a begginner.

i'm enjoying skiing with 15"off rope behind 31~32mph boat speed...

some people said if u have a lot $$$, high end ski is best for me.

Is it true??

I'm looking for my ski in ho ski.

syndicate pro, omega, omni, omega max

-----------

more information,

- I will try a course with 15"off rope behind 32mph boat speed... !

- I have a question that they(omega, pro, omni) are same price

- ------------

+

what I;m most curious about is:

if they(omega, pro, omni ...) are the same price,

what is the best choice for me to grow my skiing in my level?

------------

thank so much!

have a good day!!!!!!

• Baller
I don't see any downside to getting one of the top skis as long as it is sized right for your speed (and as long as you can afford it). My boy and his cousins are all learning the course on Vapors and all are progressing nicely. (That does not mean you have to have a top ski to progress, however).

• Administrators
Most high end skis are better than most low range skis but for some skiers a wider ski like a Radar Senate or a Connelly Carbon V is a very good choice. Always get the highest materials spec if possible.

• Baller
If you have a local pro shop, many shops will offer a performance guarantee, if you try it and you don’t like it, many will upgrade you to another one for the difference. Disclosure, make sure the ski still looks like new if you bring it back and follow their rules. Good luck!

• Baller

The ski won't be what holds you back as a newbie. Best to spend the money on some good lessons as others have said.

I do enjoy the easy deepwater starts with my Carbon V. That little bit of extra width takes a lot of pressure off my back. The mid range ski is not my problem as I learn the course.

• Baller

@SKIbeginner - if lessons are free that is excellent - so long as the teacher is good!

So onto the skis, the details you provided are that you freeski 15' off and 31-32 mph and are probably going to start skiing in the course and you say at 32mph. Don't let this bum you out but most people who show up and want to learn to ski the course and they say 32mph will miss every single turn ball and get to the end of the lake and go - wow that went fast. Usually the driver/coach will then say OK we're going to slow this down. Probably to 26 MPH or so.

This is where you have to make your decision. The top end skis are really designed to be skied at the top end speeds certainly 32+ MPH. And if you buy one sized appropriately to that you may find that the ski is just too small to be slowed down enough to learn.

But if you can learn enough to get through the course at atleast 32mph then the top end skis are probably a no brainer - so just depends what a lot of money is. For me 1500 bucks is a lot of money for something that gets used 4 months of the year on weekends.

• Baller
Just as an option, if you google, and are patient, you can find new two-or-three-or-four-model-year-old skis on closeout for sometimes 1/2 to a 1/3 off the list price. A three year old but new top end ski is a no brainer for an intermediate course skier, IMO. Darren Wiley once hooked me up with a pair of new left over 63.5" Vapors for my nephews for a price I won't quote here but it was ridiculous.

• Baller
Agreed - invest in lessons. Ski it again has tons of great skis at depreciated prices. Personally unless you're a pro I think it's nuts to buy new. Pro's don't buy theirs anyway. Very good advice above on speed. Don't buy a ski that is made for 32+ and try and ski slower. It's a mess

• Baller
Buy a quiver of skis as you progress. The highest end ski you can buy for learning the course will be different than the highest end ski you can buy to clear 41 Off. Buying the highest build level of a ski designed for your speed and ability would be the way to go. Just like other professional equipment such as a racecar; it's the time and resources required to tailor equipment to work best for you that cost the most. Paying an elite coach to adjust your ski, advise on when to upgrade; that would be the highest-end you could go.

• Baller

If you have the money get the lessons and a new ski. Doesn't have to be either/or, but lessons first. Horton's right on always get the highest materials spec if possible. The ski's one down from the top, typically slightly wider versions, seem to work well for people progressing. They reward when you do things right but don't bite. Omni or Max if your stuck on HO but I really think the Senate Lithium is very versatile.

But lessons, definitely lessons. Getting in shape and a ski school week ideal.

• Baller
My wife is still a novice, and she feels most comfortable on my (our now) Vapor LE. First tried with a more beginner Lyric, but she was like a wobbly baby deer on it. Back in the day, I also couldn't get the hang of it until my parents bought me Lapoint Radius. My skiing improved rapidly on it. My next leap forward was on a 9100. Long way of saying, yes, spend the money:)

• Baller

I'll just toss out that at the end of last season my boy was running passes at 15 off at 22.5, 23, and getting some balls 23.5 mph on a TRA on ZO practice mode. I got him a left over 65" Vapor Pro Build at the end of last season. He immediately looked better at all speeds and jumped into 24 and 24.5 mph his first and second set on the Vapor. Plus he had a huge smile on his face. Now he runs, 23, 24.9, 26.7, 28.6 (usually off the dock after backing up 24.6 and 26.7) and is working on 30.4. I can say for a fact every pass at every speed looked better and more stable on the Vapor (slowest speeds included).

My take from this experience is better skis are better as long as the ski is big enough for the speed. I am sure he'd still be progressing on the TRA, but I also witnessed an immediate improvement when he switched to the better ski. Take my small-size sample of one for what its worth.