01 Ski Nautique GT40 Stargazer speed varies +/- 1mph

MattCL

• Baller
I have a '01 Ski Nautique with a GT-40 and the Stargazer Perfect Pass. I'm 250lbs and ski from 15@30mph to 28@32mph. When I am skiing the speed goes from 29-31, 31-33. I am running a 654(12.5x15) prop and thinking about trying the 480 which will increase the rpms and is larger diameter to try and get a more consistent speed. Has anyone tried a 480 (13x12.5) on the boat? Any other ideas?

• Baller
654 is the prop recommended and used on most of the Ski Nautique 200's with the 5.7L engine. I doubt it is the recommended prop for the 01 Ski Nautique. I would find out what prop the boat came with when new from the factory and try that. It might have even been a 3 blade (13x13) 20 years ago. It is also possible that your problem is in the Perfect Pass. @Jody_Seal will be a great source of info on this problem.

• Baller
It’s the prop that came on the boat as a promo boat from ‘01. Gear ratio is 1.23:1. Maybe it’s just normal like Drago said, and compared to zero off new boats many of my drivers comment on the surging speed.

• Baller

If driving without the skier, does the timing/speed change in a similar way or is it just under skier load?

As @Drago mentioned, you can change the kx setting, which is the throttle response setting, the lower the number the quicker / more aggressive the response.

Cheaper and quicker than swapping props out, especially at the moment with all the shortages!

• Baller

If you don't want to go down the rabbit hole and upgrade software to the latest Stargazer and add Zbox just switch to PerfectPass Classic and call it good.

You should have the software already, very common problem you describe with Stargazer.

Classic skis really good, Stargazer is just strange and was never approved for tournament use.

• Baller
The question is whether thats an abnormal amount or not. How are the times? These speed controls don't keep a constant speed. Thats the basics of the pull settings in ZO. People talk about when it pick you up etc, but the basics of what happens is that A settings let the boat slow down more before it kicks in (then has to go the same amount above the set speed so the timing averages out,) C slows down the least. I dont' know exactly how much speed range you'll find with an A setting, but I would bet its at least 1 mph above and below. It may not do it in a way that we like always, and as mentioned, maybe classic will give a better feel....or zbox.

• Baller

Seems normal to me for that system. I would expect at your weight you would be able to pull the boat down a couple MPH during a pull. The result would be a pretty visual variance in speed. Make sure you use Extra Large setting, and you could try turning up the Kx to increase the response time.

• Baller

What version of stargazer? If its just the wake/wake S version, there is no way to adjust for weight. If you have 3 event, you can adjust for Feather/Light/Normal/XL weight ranges. You can get three event without zbox and have these settings.

I didn't spend much time with Wake S version, I quickly updated to 3 Event.

A quick refresh of the Wake and Wake S versions, I think the only adjustment in WAKE/WAKE S is the pull(KDW) setting, you can try to increase it. In Wake, there is mention of adding 150rpm to baselines to help with skier pull. You could try increasing that.

• Baller_
Might want to isolate where the speed variation is coming from then determine the best course of action. Give PP Classic a test to see if same speed variation results and if yes, consider prop change, if no, (take some no doz and) read the Stargazer thread as it walks through the steps to reduce speed variation and dial in SG.

• Baller

Have you performed the PP linkage test? If there's any slop in the connection from PP to the throttle body, you can get some surging at times.

Which version of SG? V9 and later are rock solid. ZO-like in terms of lock-in, speed holding, etc assuming you have a puck that's in good working order.

• Baller

I have an 01 GT40 SN and it has the 422 and SG w/zbox. Works great and yes the speed will vary when running through the course to keep the times at the buoys on.

I run up to about 45mph at about 1200' ASL and 4800rpm at WOT

At 34.2mph I'm pulling almost 3600rpm. This is typical with this prop and the reduction drive tranny.