Is it worth it to rebuild a 1996 SN?

DP70

• Baller

I mentioned this in my other thread about purchasing a boat - but this likely needs it's own place.

I have an opportunity to get the hull of a 1996 SN for next to nothing.

Interior needs some work.

Engine needs a rebuild or re-power.

It's the GT-40 engine. At the end of last season a spark plug broke coming out and a couple of pieces fell into the cylinder, so the head needs to come off for sure. Starter, alternator and other bolt on parts need to be replaced as well.

The boat has been primarily used in salt water the past 10+ years - always pulled out at the end of every use, but quite a lot of use.

I'm expecting the full exhaust system will need to be replaced and likely a good idea to replace the controls. Probably best to strip it right down to the block if keeping the power plant.

Because I can get it for next to nothing, it may be cost effective to get the boat and do a re-build over the winter.

I've owned boats, but never a direct drive. I'm reasonably handy, and know a bit, but I'm not a gear head & I don't know what I don't know.

#1. Is the 1996 model year a good hull? Good wake? I get that it won't be 97-01esque, but is it still reasonable? I was behind a 99 SN 2 weeks ago and they are nice. How does the 96 compare? How would it compare to a 93 TIGE 2000 SLM (for sale in my area)?

#2. Is this a reasonable project - or should I avoid it?

#3. If I do go through with it - do I try to salvage the GT-40 or go with a new power plant? How easy is it to get parts for a GT-40 engine these days?

It would be great if @Jody_Seal or any of the other engine gooroos on this site could give me the straight goods on this.

Open to and appreciate any and all suggestions or advice.

Mostly family usage long term - kids learning to ski, knee boarding, tubing - adults skiing.

Will be used on a large lake with minimal boat traffic - not a lot of opportunity to get into a course.

Darren

• Baller
Re-Power is your best option, GT 40 parts are getting hard to find. My previous boat was a 96 and I loved it. For what you are describing that hull will serve you well. I haven't skied behind a Tige I can't comment on a comparison for that hull. In general it doesn't track as well as the TSC's but still a great boat.

• Baller

Yes, it's a great hull. The TSC1 was an evolution of this hull so it's a little better than this hull, but this is still a very good hull. Good tracking and spray too, ahead of its time when it came out in 1990. I've had two of these and I currently own a TSC1 and a 200 so I'm a pretty good reference on this subject.

I'd look for a pullout GT40. Other than the ECU parts are common and plentiful Ford parts generally. Plus you'd have an extra GT40 for parts. If you want to fix the current one they are pretty simple to work on.

I'd be more worried about interior costs which can run into many thousands of dollars quickly.

Carpet sucks to replace in general.

Figure pullout engine: $2,500, Interior, $3,500, that's a decent boat for $6K best case (?)

• Baller
+1 on the rebuild. I had the 94, a great boat, super solid. Without the need for ZO and general lake use it will serve you well. A friend is trying to repower his 97 SN with a 6.0 and ZO, he's getting estimates of $16k+. Probably want to get someone to look closely at the block before spending a lot of money, make sure it's not rusted out from salt water.

I had a 1995 Tige SLM2000 and would prefer skiing the Tige over the slant back SN. If it was the next generation SN (1997-2001) I would vote for the SN. This would be both course and open water skiing.

The 1993 Tige was the first year they made boats, so I'd be a little hesitant on moving that direction. The Tige also has wood stringers so be sure to check for decay, soft spots, and motor mount concerns. The 1996 SN has a higher freeboard, takes rough water better, could throw a better wakeboard wake, thus I would say is a better family friendly boat.

• Baller
The 96 SN is a great ski boat. Find a good used GT40, get the mechanical dialed in and have fun. You can cover the seat with towels or something for now. You’ll have many winters to worry about vinyl and carpet.

• Baller

I always like to resurrect things. I’ve done it with a ‘78 Jeep CJ5, an ‘00 Sunsetter LXi, and an old cabin built in the ‘50s. It’s a great experience, I learn a ton, and I know every inch and issue.

I say go for it, join PlanetNautique forum, spend this summer planning and the off-season rebuilding. You’ll have a great boat that you know and love. If you have kids, get them involved. Nothing better!

• Baller

The GT40 is a Ford 351 with better heads and a higher performance cam. If those can be salvaged and machined at a reasonable price, a short block will likely be your best option and bolt on all your useable parts. The 93-96 hull is all glass, no wood and skis VERY GOOD. You can get a reasonable interior for $2000-ish.

I’ve rebuilt a 93 and a 96 before, and both were well worth the rebuild. I’d rather ski that hull than a 2021 Ski Nautique. It’s no bubble back through 200, buts it’s a hell of a ski boat.

• Baller
+1 for all the above rebuild recommendations. A good machine shop can go through that engine for you for 2-3k tops and deliver a fresh power plant for an EZ install. Carpet is actually pretty simple. Yes a reasonable interior for 2-3k and you’ve got a fabulous boat for next to nothing relatively speaking. The clean up, buffing, polishing is a joy as it’s so great to see a boat come back to life. Hope you go for it. Keep us posted!

For sure it’s worth it, if the plug broke during removal and it hasn’t been run since I’d probably just pull the head and clean that cylinder out. Could be out skiing behind it in a day if your mechanically inclined and that’s all that’s wrong with it. Then redo it in the winter once you know what’s all in need of being repaired.

• Baller
@DP70 I was on the CC Promo Team in 1996 and bought this boat for myself, and kept it for many years. That year, it was used as the primary tow boat for the Easter Regionals held in Avon CT that year. It was so popular at that tournament that they put 40 hrs on it. The chief driver said that it was the best driving boat he had ever driven. I personally pulled Jamie Beauchene through many -38 & -39 off passes with it, hand driving. I did install Accu-Ski speed control after owning it for a few years. I have owned many new boats from several manufacturers. It was the best overall boat I have ever owned. It had the GT-40 and a 3 blade prop. It was the fastest boat out of the hole and top end of 50 MPH, even compared to many of the new boats. Boats were considerably lighter back then. If you are a competitive skier, it would be too outdated, but it was a great boat in it's day.

• Baller
@pcmcon729 it's amazing how little the 90-96 hull is really discussed. Probably because TSC1 was such a good hull it overshadows it but a lot of what we consider modern boat characteristics started with this hull including tracking and spray.

• Baller
If the engine worked the plug broke I would just stick a tube down the hole and vacuum it out. Then stick a borescope in to see if you got it all. Start it up and use it. Not sure how much money I would put into a 351w, but make sure you can get exhaust manifolds and risers for it before spending any money rebuilding an obsolete motor.

• Baller

Thank-you guys - I really appreciate the feed-back on the hull in particular. I'm feeling good about taking this on.

From further dialogue with the current owner, whom I know & trust, the engine was running well 2 years ago - it's been sitting for 2 years. When they went to get it ready for use this summer is when they had the seized plug issue. I'm pretty confident the block & heads are OK. The issue for them is they're on an island off the coast - any major work that needs to be done requires a barge & then likely a ferry.

My inclination is to get a machine shop to strip it down, remove surface rust, test it, paint it and then reassemble with whatever new parts are needed.

A question about a trailer for the boat. There is one that comes with it - I don't believe it's original or native to the 1996 SN. Do any of you know of, or can point me in the direction of where to find, the correct spacing & length for the bunks for a 1996 SN?

• Baller

Here's a couple of pics

Trailer is a 2002

Bunks need to be re-done

From tail end of long bunk to winch roller is 18'3 - it would appear to be an appropriate length

Long bunks are 12'7

Short bunks are 8'8

Trailer has been parked since the boat was purchased, it hasn't touched salt water.

0q6jhkgt2jfl.jpg

buvjh0jm4dvx.jpg

kcdgaqaa51t8.jpg

dwcq9ogmi7qa.jpg

• Baller
Pictures appear to show the boat is in pretty good shape. I have a 95 and love it. I would find manifolds as others have mentioned and take it to a reputable machine shop for an engine refresh. New seals, gaskets, rings, bearings, oil pump, deglaze the cylinders, valve job, etc. There is excellent support for that engine on CCFan and PlanetNautique and you should have no issues getting it into tip top shape.