Rule Proposal "Opt Down"

Horton

• Administrators

I would like to see a rule that would allow a skier to "opt down" on their first pass. What I mean by this is to have a first pass scored at 6 buoys less than what is actually performed.

Example: I would like to go off the dock at 32 off and have it scored at 28 off. My second pass would again be 32 off and would be scored as 32 off. From there all passes score as normal.

Why: This would offer skiers more flexibility on their opening pass. I would personally go off the dock at 32 (scored as 28). This would allow me to run two 32 off passes before shortening to 35. It would allow me to avoid 28 off and would not negatively impact the event in any way that I can think of. As it is I go off the dock at 28 in most tournaments.

I can not be the only one who would like to have 2 passes at their preferred open pass as opposed to a longer or slower opener.

• Baller
Ok and the process to get a rule change considered , debated, evaluated, modified , re evaluate the new version , final mods made, submit for final final approval. Then comes debate on implementation which will take 3-4 rounds to work out…….. so we’ll maybe see it in how many years? Seriously…. Are more versions or rules needed?? The structure is the structure and it’s worked this long……

• Baller

Currently, a skier can run passes below maximum speed and scores 6 less till maximum speed is achieved.

I'd like to be able to go out at a higher speed than what my division calls for and be able drop my speed for the toughest pass. All bouys counted at division speed.

• Baller

You really just want to add.

E. After each completed pass, the skier may advance to a higher speed, and/or a

shorter line, i.e., pass-to-pass movements in the matrix may only go down, and/or

to the right. or a skier may elect to repeat the previous pass for no score, but must complete the repeated pass to advance

Sort of solves your problem while still being potentially a full additional pass for every skier if most skiers use it as another warm up. Could be a tactical way to address the starting dock orientation on a site without an opt up. Add a penalty, if you miss the repeat pass subtract how many you missed from your opener. 32 opener, 4 at 3w second pass, -2.

• Baller_

Man I’m gonna get beat up for this one.

I totally agree with Horton. I don’t want 28 as an opener. 2 32s would be perfect. Also have a buddy that hates 15 off but struggles with 28. So 2 passes at 22 off would be his choice I’m sure. Sorry for agreeing with @Horton. It does feel really odd....sort of a nausea feeling.

• Baller_

I seem to be in the minority, but I'm into it. People who think it's dumb won't use it, people who like it will, without any negative effects on fairness, fun, time, etc. Why not?

Update after @BraceMaker 's response - good point, there is a negative effect on time, and tourneys are long enough as is, so I retract.

• Baller

@SlalomSteve the biggest issue is time.

An event with say 25 skiers if most of them successfully make their opener, choose to repeat, then do the same top score you're adding another 4 or 5 skiers to the running order.

If 2 openers proves to be advantageous then some % of skiers are going to get another pass on top as well right?

Fine if events are gagging for skiers but most are not and people want to get around to wrapping the event up eventually.

• Baller

This comes back down to, how do you make the sport more appealing fo spectactors etc, by allowing this you just increase duration before the skier gets to where they are reaching their limits.

I remember being at a Pro Event and a Pro Skier was complaing that he, had a zero gate and because he had travelled a long distance, that he should be able to go again.

I think the current rules should stand, if you want your optimum pass into the wind, and it means you have Opt Up or Opt Down, so be it, the other option is to practice in wind, then there is no issue, if you ski with perfect conditions all the time, it will affect your ability as a competitior.

• Baller

A famous skier 2 weeks ago told me his parents' rule was he had to start 10 passes below his average in every tournament. Seemed to have worked out OK for him.

No one is coming to watch an average tournament. Catering to make it more "viewable", ie speed it up, is futile. I don't have a problem with Horton's idea, but is it needed in light of Bruce's citation of the current rule? (which I frankly did not know). Actually, upon re-reading it maybe that was just his draft rule...Average time is what, 4 minutes per skier? An extra 25 rides doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

• Administrators

@PatM I had not skied behind that boat in a year before Regionals this year. I was so surprised by the wake on my opener that I almost missed the pass.

Seriously, two 32 is what I always do in practice. I thought some other skiers might have a similar habit so I thought I'd throw it out. Apparently you guys are not with me.

• Baller

@Horton I really don't dislike the idea. Particularly when you travel and show up cold turkey. I just think it should be called an option reride. If you fall they score you where you fall.

6@32 first pass. miss the gate on shot 2 you got 6@28.

Not complex, not hard to score or confusing. Boat crew can call in optional reride and then its scored exactly the same as if it was a 32 after a 28.

• Baller
It sounds like you intentionally practice a non-tournament set and are now complaining that your tournament experience is different than practice. Have you considered “practicing how you perform”? Either practice opening at 28 or practice skiing 35 as your second pass, of course practicing 32,32,35 makes anything else feel weird.