Help! Why can't I hold on?

BHarris

So this is hard to admit... But for the life of my I cannot hold onto the handle anymore. I am a 21 yr old college student with a slalom addiction and all of the sudden when skiing my forearms start burning and I can't stand to hold on anymore. I bench 225 so I'm not convinced strength is the issue but I could be wrong.

Has anyone had this happen before?

• Supporting Member

@BHarris Hopefully you're not using your chest muscles to hold the handle :).

It's easy to completely exhaust forearm muscles. If you have one completely failed grip (handle ripped out of your hands), it can take weeks for those muscles to work properly again.

As I've gotten older (now 50), my forearms have a little more trouble in general, and I definitely suggest experimenting with the handle style and diameter. You may even want to purposely use different diameters throughout the season.

• Baller
Try taking a week off from skiing. Pop an aleve every morning with breakfast for a week. If you have a theragun, use it on your forearm muscles. If not, get some good massage action. Ice massage would also be a good idea. Try some Clincher style gloves when you get back into it. Switch up your grip on holeshots especially so that opposite hands are over, or both palms are down. As mentioned, try a larger or smaller handle diameter.

• Baller
Have you changed handle or gloves recently? Particularly going to a larger diameter handle can cause fatigue in forearms. A thicker glove, or adding palm protectors also has the same effect as a larger diameter handle. There are positives to a larger handle so it might be good to use, but could take some adjustment to get your muscles used to it.

• Baller

Do you feel like you are trying to "Death Grip" the handle? Try moving the handle off the palm and to the fingers.

As well I noticed it was a lot easier to hold an anti-roll handle.... just some thoughts as you sound like a pretty strong person to begin with.

• Baller

Not all ski handles are created equal.

Not all gloves are created equal.

With a new grippy handle (Masterline, InTow) and good gloves, my grip is automatic, I don’t think about it. There is enough traction hat I use MUCH less grip strength than trying to ski with someone’s shitty handle.

• Baller
My money is on you are over gripping the handle all the way down in the middle of your palm (I used to do this and can confirm it absolutely toasted my forearms). As mentioned above, you want the handle to rest basically at the first segment of your fingers, where your fingers connect to the top of your palm.

• Baller
As a 21 year old that can lift and dust under a refrigerator there’s nothing wrong with your ability to grip. Yes video would help but my guess is like most iron man 21yr olds who just got hooked on slalom you’re trying to power (muscle) ski by WAY overusing your arms and playing rodeo with the boat, and FYI the boat always wins. Consciously try to keep your arms straight and cruise a bit without a death grip on the handle and you’ll likely be born again .

• Members

@BHarris You've heard the old saying, "Pain is just weakness, leaving the body"?

Well, in your case, pain is just GRIP STRENGTH leaving the body. The good news is, it can't stay gone forever. Give it a rest, literally, and it'll be back before you know it.

• Baller

I'm no doctor but have spent lots of time on this. Forearms that play a role in grip have unique anatomy I have learned as a NCAA Personal trainer, former Motocross Rider and slalom skier. The fascia that surrounds the forearm does not expand easily and can restrict blood-flow to the area. Despite any amount of raw grip strength, the limiting factor is usually getting enough red blood cells into the area with oxygen and co2 + lactic acid out to get the muscles to work. Rather than other parts of your body where your existing nervous system can grow in volume to accommodate the increase in demand, your grip needs to develop new capillaries and blood streams to get more blood in and out. Skiing more often, without going to grip exhaustion and ample time to recover will theoretically help your grip issue.

Lastly the right size handle and right gloves can make a huge difference. I switched to a larger diameter handle soon after getting back into skiing and almost instantly eliminated any issues with grip or arm pump.

• Baller
Not sure I would recommend clencher gloves to someone newer to the course. That seems like a good way to cause shoulder injuries. First for me would be to make sure his gloves are good quality and fit really tight. Second is to check that his handle is good enough quality with a grip in good condition. After that it’s up to some recovery time, evaluating his grip method, and keeping arms straight.

• Baller

The muscles involved in bench pressing are all push oriented versus the pull orientation of skiing.

Skiing in itself is like a heavy weights work out session, so if you don’t have rest days your just tearing yourself down.

How far are you skiing before your forearms fail you? If it’s immediate that sounds like you pinched or hurt something.

I used to only get to ski in the slalom course one week every summer on vacation. So during that week I would try to ski as much as possible, skiing 3-4 sets a day, everyday. The problem was i completed destroyed myself in the process and by Thursday I couldn’t ski at all and the rest of the week was shot.

Now I do a better job of pacing myself by building in off days for recovery.

While waiting for your forearms to cam down try adding core strength exercises, lat pulls, hangs, pull ups/chin ups, etc to your “off water” training.

Hope you get it figured out.

• Baller

I’m pretty sure you used the “bench 225” as an example of being strong, not to draw a link to skiing. Obviously, with that example, you are strong. Do not underestimate what these guys have said about handle diameter being a huge help. I typically use a 1.092” inch diameter handle. I once bought a boat that the previous owner left an almost new .888 inch handle in. I tried it, just to feel what such a small diameter handle would feel like. It was eye-opening! It changes so much of how you hold the handle and the muscles involved. I went immediately back to my handle and now would only consider going larger (I have big hands) (not a Gov Cuomo joke).

If you look at the Masterline or In-Tow websites you will see many different handle diameter options. Give your arms a little rest and then try the largest handle one of your ski partners has and see how it feels, skiing, not on the dock. It may help you in a direction you haven’t yet tried.

• Baller
I'll add to the crowd highly recommending AGAINST any type of clincher gloves. If you take too much load/bad position out of a turn, you want the weakest link to be your hands that will just pull the handle out of your hands....not stressing arm/elbo/shoulder/back etc, or preventing you from easily letting go resulting in a nasty wipeout across the wakes. Especially for someone young and strong...there's no need.

• Baller

Handle diameter, bent handle, grip. Great stuff but that's not what causing the issue and are bandaids.

The fact you can bench a lot of weight is great but I see so many people inured from bench pressing. It's not necessary to bench big weight for skiing and I see big muscle guys struggle more than skinny guys because they want to curl the handle when you need straight relaxed arms that can take a load and transfer it to your core.

Listen to @bkreis and @Fastguy888 they're trainers.

Go to a physiotherapist to diagnose what's up.

Bent bar and a fresh rope can help while you rehab. Don't hold onto slack and don't pull with your arms, lean.

• Baller_

Long Duration Exercise

Because of a torn bicep years ago, I can't do any dynamic strength training with my right bicep without the old injury feeling like its going to pop. Plus, your not supposed to pull in with your bicep when you are accelerating in slalom. (hook and chain)

So I bought a 62 pound kettle bell and do 50 single arm kettle bell swings with each arm - 2 rounds - usually twice per day. This has strengthened by grip substantially and for some reason is great therapy for my lower back degenerative disks and old shoulder joints.

Grip strength may not be your problem, but you may not have any other on land long duration training for your forearms.