IWWF World Championships

Horton

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Having a great venue proves the point. In the future, IWWF and all the power Federation bodies should refuse to compete on a crappy lake or river. I'm pretty sure Track and Field would not compete on cinder tracks and hay fields just because the money was good.

• Baller

When the $25 license was officially introduced in Dec. 2020:

"During the 2019 IWWF Congress held in Malaysia, it was decided to launch an IWWF Licence to help finance/reduce costs for organisers to host future IWWF World Titled events in particular the IWWF World Open Waterski Championships which includes the hosting of the IWWF The International Hall of Fame ceremonies, held at the respective IWWF World Championships of each sport discipline, also needs to be financed.

This would result in there being more interested parties wishing to bid and host for this event so the IWWF can select event venues with the best conditions so athletes can perform to the best of their abilities."

Even if it wasn't an exact dollar for dollar swap, clearly this is the direction things are going and the results have been good so far.

Unless @horton you have some evidence otherwise.

• Administrators

@jcamp I would speculate that about 500 people on earth have paid that fee. Let's round way the hell up and saying a thousand people have paid the fee. That's a whopping 25k. meh. It's a nice amount of money in your hand but in the scope of an organization it's pocket change.

Wasn't the old sanction fee for worlds 250k?

• Administrators
I looked it up. there are 2407 names on all of the IWWF standings lists. Actually less because I did not weed out the duplicates. So that is $60,175. Not a small amount of money but as I recall the old sanction fee was $250K.

• Baller

What @Bruce_Butterfield and @skiinxs said. The numbers do a good job of confirming if the pass was in tolerance. But I know I can give skiers a very different ride and get similar numbers. The breadcrumbs are helpful for sure.

Back on topic, that was perhaps the greatest tournament of all time as far as the performances and competition is concerned. Fantastic!

• Baller
I can't remember any time I have ever enjoyed watching a tournament this much. Everything absolutely top notch, perfect site conditions, outstanding officiating, great skier drama, the best skiing I have ever seen, flawless performing towboats, great driving, and a fantastic production by TWBS. I know it has been a long time since "Hot Summer Nights", but this was better, even without editing. (Maybe I need to break out some old VHS tapes and get a player working again to compare). I really believe that with some editing to distill down to an hour, or series of hour shows, this would be very marketable to a non-skiing audience (or at the very least recreational skiing audience). To me it was much more entertaining than any "Professional" sporting event with multi-million dollar annual salaried participants.