'Secret' Denali fin

jayski

• Supporting Member

Sidenote: Although TMBC did an awesome job with this event, I slightly cringed each time the commentators described the Denali as having no rocker. If you actually put a c75 next to a Goode, you'll see most of the rocker is generally similar, but the extremely flat tip (which only rarely even touches the water) creates a powerful optical illusion that the entire ski is flatter.

Maybe it's a good thing for it to draw so much attention, but I feel by now all of those commentators should have had a chance to look a little closer! And since I know the incredible amount of blood, sweat, and tears that the Adams have put into designing their skis, I guess it feels a little insulting to say it's like a 2x4. :)

• Baller

@thager same fin in the ski all year. Haven’t touched it. So not sure what you mean.

Development doesn’t happen overnight. I thought I had “validated” the fin performance at Malibu with just getting inside 5@41 and taking 2nd place to Nate.

So then after Malibu I added 0.200 to the depth and took out 0.1500 length and pulled it back .200. (Yes those numbers are right).

At my home training site and several others I stoped at along the way, this new “zone” was crushing it and felt easier then ever. The issue seems to be that on the other boats I need more time to find the right ZO setting as the swing speed is a little different and need a touch more energy into CL then what I’m able to find on the nautique.

Being the odd brand/odd guy out there is never easy. We will see who’s laughing last.

• Baller

@adamhcaldwell Go get 'em, I'm rooting for you!

Back to Than's comment I do think if you are a TWBC sponsor they should know more about the ski and speak favorably about it, the sponsors are helping pay the bills. They throw a lot of free plugs out there in the commentary (how many times did they plug Ski or Die podcast?) and then don't know their sponsor's products, that's an area of improvement for them for sure.

• Baller

Honestly, I don’t know what all the bashing here is about.

Tony spent more time talking about the Denali than any other brand ski (and there had been multiple ski sponsors throughout the season). He explained basically on every single webcast in length how the Denali sizing works. (All same length, only width changes, yada, yada, yada,…) Comments about the rocker (or the lack of) sounded more observational than critical to me.

How much more product exposure can a sponsor ask for?

• Baller

@DavidN - we are thrilled with how things panned out this year. We know we are different and very few know much about us at all - mainly because were not a "marketing machine" and don't really worry much about other peoples opinions. We let the scores do the talking.

Though we couldn't necessarily afford to, Denali ponied up and sponsored nearly every event TWBC has done the last couple seasons. I am 100% behind what they are doing for our sport and blown away by the progress they have made. Its a great team of individuals who love the sport and passionate about their craft.

Coincidently, supporting TWBC was a motivating factor for me just to get back involved in tournaments and be part of the action/fun. One thing that has been cool to see is the change in atmosphere/vibe at the events with TWBC on site. Even without a huge crowd or banners and bling, when you see the TWBC crew on site, you know its time for business and people are watching - CLOSELY.

I do think it would be a smart move for TWBC to build out a bio page for competitors that could be linked to webcast for both the viewer AND for commentators to have some info to pick through for a particular athlete or competitor.

• Baller

Adam, that’s a fantastic idea and would not only make it easier for the commentators to deliver accurate information and find additional topics to talk about, but also would bring valuable information to the viewers of the webcast.

Thanks for supporting these events!

• Baller

@Ali - yes, but there is ZERO info in them. Needs to have more relatable info.

Things like weight, years skiing, etc. Could also do some fun things like grip strength, min/max/avg line load, handle preference (12/13" and diameter), binding setup, fin settings, ZO option for the different boats, rope preference, ski and ski size, etc.

Would be great to see those profile links pop on the webcast when a particular skier is on the water. (no clue how difficult that might be).

I'm sure they already have big plans and much more! Excited for 2022 to see what they put together!

• Baller

@Ali Mr Caldwell has some great ideas and the plan from the Waterski Pro Tour team is definitely to build out the website to give water ski fans more info on skiers, amongst many other things.

It has been a big year in which the whole team has worked very hard and, in my humble opinion, achieved a fair bit. We hope you have enjoyed the consolidated event info, webcast hosting and skier rankings on the website along with the social media effort that aims to put our sport in front of those that are not already involved and addicted.

All feedback is welcome. Please email me at freddiewinter@gmail.com.

Now I'm goin to Off Topic myself.

• Baller

@FWinter - Even as a work in progress, I feel the energy and brains behind the Waterski Pro Tour and TWBC has done more positive things for our sport in the last 9 months than I have been whiteness to in the last decade - if not two!

I cannot wait to see what you guys are able to do long term and its been an amazing experience to be able to be involved both as a competitor and supporter.

Keep up the hard work! Can’t thank you all enough!