DROP or SPIN

swbca

• Baller

Skiing on a public lake I only spin if I think another boat will try and steal the course from me while I rest!

Dropping also keeps my wake coming from a consistent direction for others out and about on the water.

• Baller

After pulling that hard 6 times across the wake, my sorry fat butt has to drop just to try to recover for a second before I try to do it again. With my conditioning, or lack thereof, I don't have a choice if I want to ski even half decent.

• Baller
That past two seasons have brought us high water and some lumpy gravy, so it’s been drop for the most part. With more normal water levels I’d sometimes spin for back to backs in early spring and late fall.

• Baller

Always drop. If you do spin you get one pass until the rollers catch up with you. Spinning is only a last set, last pass go go go if another boat started ripping across the lake.

Generally I'd rather drop and call it quits then spin for 1 more 'beat the wake' pass.

• Baller_
If I make a mess of my first pass of the day, I may spin to the next pass. It like getting an official rerun that cancels out the bad pass. More often its because we have big rollers headed our way and they be in the course before I could get 3 or 4 passes done if I dropped

• Baller
Don't spin if you can avoid it--you will ski stronger and in better position for more passes, and have the chance to improve more rapidly. Also allows your driver/crew to coach you a bit on the ends(or listen to your brother coach himself!)

• Baller_
Items mentioned above (wildlife, water temp, impending rollers) and if there are issues specifically related to pullups a spin allows more passes. Back issues & joint replacements can be annoying, painful & inhibiting ability on get ups.

• Baller
Myself and the regulars I ski with on a Public lake always drop if the course is up or not. Only reason we spin on the south end is if the water is cold or if the %$#&ing surfers decide to invade skier cove and start surfing it up instead of waiting their turn.

• Baller
One time I was getting coaching and fell on every pass of both sets, totally bought into “if you’re not falling you’re not learning”. When you add in dropping at the end for coaching it was a total of 24 deep water starts in the day. I could barely hold a cup of coffee the next day, fortunately I wasn’t skiing that day

• Baller_
For those of you who were unhappy there wasn't a plain option in the POLL to "Always Drop without exception". I figured you could imagine a spin if there was severe storm squall or other bad situation to get away from fast.

• Baller_
So one of my ski friends hates to get wet. She does a dock hop start, goes through the course, spins, back through the course, skis into the dock and sits on it, climbs out, and repeats for her whole set. Even when it’s warm out, she’ll spin one end so she only gets wet every other pass. She has more gold medals from Nationals than all of us on this forum put together and she’s in W8. Spin to win!

Lpskier

• Baller

I spin for a variety of reasons.

It can be fun.

Spin for conditioning in early season.

Spin to ski tougher conditions if an upcoming tournament is at a rough site.

Spin harder runnable passes mid season in lieu of attempting hardest passes to have more 6 buoy passes.

That said I am a firm believer that 60 seconds or more is best for technique and optimal recovery. Sometimes tournaments don’t allot this therefore specialized training sets with x second breaks (depending on event rules) is intelligent set design.