Rooftop carriers

Hey folks,

Any recommendations for rooftop carriers? A new baby and his car seat have thwarted our usual seat-down, in-car transport method (65" w single boot, 67" double). With the new passenger, we'd benefit from the extra hauling space as well. I've eyed the Thule Force lineup, specifically the Sport and L sizes. Anyone using these to transport multiple skis? Any issues with space?

• Baller

We have the previous generation Yakima 21 (now called the Skybox 21) that we’ve used on a couple of vehicles. Both with OEM roof rack and removable Yak roof rack. Skybox Dimensions (exterior) L 92.00 in x W 36.00 in x H 18.00 in.

My theory is that when you need extra space, go big. Fuel economy takes a few mpg hit at 70mph, But 99% of time it’s not on top.

u6xfpgvbu8dt.jpeg

wqb6au1z6yyu.jpeg

What are your thoughts on install w/ the skybox? Its possible I'd leave it on all summer, but my current plan would be to throw it on each trip (~6x over the course of the season). As I say it out loud, maybe that second option is less likely. I really like what I'd read about the Skybox, but most of the reviews I'd found mention that install is less than friendly.

• Baller

It’s a bit of a beast. I have a rack between rafters of my garage. I usually end up taking it down and putting it on by myself…. But pretty sure directions would say something like “don’t try this by yourself.”

My SUV or minivan will not fit in my garage with it on. That plus wind noise and decreased fuel economy are grounds for removal even if I put it on every 3-6 weeks in the summer. If I was only carrying a ski, and left a box on all the time, I’d get a small skinny ski box.

If I didn’t have to leave a car parked where theft was a issue, I’d bungee my ski in bag right to the top rack.

Thanks- I'm most likely going to install a garage rafter kit myself just for that purpose. Putting it on as a solo operation is a part of the reason I'd consider the sport model, though ultimately I think we'd end up using the extra space in a a longer model within the next few years.

• Baller

We have a Thule (force) and it's amazing. Install is simple and quick and I can do it my by myself easily. One of the best things we have ever bought, we've driven everywhere with it. I don't usually drive around with it all the time because it's so easy to remove anyway.

• Baller
I have a Yakima skybox I believe. Once it’s set up it goes on and off quick(5 min) by myself. Now that we have a suburban though it never leaves its spot in the garage. I’d let it go fairly cheep if anyone near central Iowa needs one.

• Baller

Have used a Thule since 2014. About 25 trips to the mountain each year, and used for water skis multiple times each summer. Remained on car full time this year after I moved to tahoe. Still in great shape. I can take it on and off in under 5 mins.