Work In Progress

Skoot1123

• Baller

So I am posting this as a means to show folks that even with less than perfect technique (I am FAR from it) you can still make a difficult (for me at least) pass. This is a 32’ off at 34mph, at the end of my set. Gate needs a lot of work, hips drop back during the wake crossings, my feet get out in front of me (putting me on the back of the ski), and I am skiing point to point vs taking the high line. While this is just a snapshot of my skiing - some days better and other days worse my main point here is that improvements can be made even when you feel like you are struggling. The good news: making a pass and looking like this means there is a lot of upside/potential. The bad: WOW there is a lot to work on.

• Baller
I don't think the skiing is as bad as you make it out to be. There is a lot of right going on here to make this pass. Especially keeping the ski out in front pointed in the right direction. We are not pros and we will not look as smooth getting it done. I hate looking a video of myself for this very reason.

• Administrators

@Skoot1123

A) WTF is a YouTube Short? Please go back to normal YouTube submissions in the future if you can.

B ) I think you have some serious ski set up issues.

• Baller

Turns out that ALL video’s now uploaded to YouTube are “shorts” - meaning anyone can take a clip of it - but there is a setting to turn it off (which I just did).

@cent - were you able to view it?

@Gloersen - it sure is a GT40/PP. for sure one of the best purchasers we have made, we love this boat.

@horton - what do settings do you suggest I change to? What do you see in the pass that suggests a fin setting would help? Honestly asking - I am all ears and willing to try.

• Baller

Current fin settings are from the three on the C75 review. “Stock” settings are slightly different for the 2020 vs 2021 C75. I’d have to check my ski to be sure which year mine is. I am on the lighter end of the spectrum for the medium ski.

Length: 6.708

DFT: 1.050

Depth: 2.550

Wing: 8.5

• Baller

Been there. I've had 32 off passes that look like I'm being electrocuted and controlled by a voodoo doll the whole time and made them, for sure. It's possible! ZO would punish this a bit more I think. This video looks pretty good. Ultimately it's about redefining how you move right and left in the course and stand on the ski. Working on this right now. It's 100% mental and not complicated. You can move left correctly in the move-out. Maybe try that out of 135.

Ski seems to work fine as far as turning both sides, but I ski a lot less buoys than Horton.

Good move out width and glide, this buys you a lot of goodwill in the rest of the course.

• Baller

Your skiing into a high handle and it starts from your gate turn in. Interesting nobody has pointed that out with how obvious it is. I watched your other vids and it's not the ski, it's part of your style and something you need to work away from to keep shortening the line. The -28 vid on the other ski you look better but still doing it - you'll need to hammer away at this trait at your easier passes but it definitely starts with how your gate turn in is initiated. Perhaps start there, at the other end of the extreme - handle as low as possible, left arm straight with the handle pinned low - let the handle out to the pylon but push it down, not up!

At 1 and 2 Try to Ski your core back to the handle instead of bringing the handle up and to your face. In your reach, let the boat pull the handle away from you, keeping your shoulders level and leave the handle there - then drop your hips back to it as the ski comes under the rope and your hand comes back on the handle.

You'll likely miss a lot of passes at first but you need to work this out of your skiing.

You are losing time, direction and rhythm with this move. Otherwise you're skiing looks pretty damn good. I think this is the biggest thing you need to work out of your skiing and if you do, getting much deeper is very possible.

• Baller

So here is a GiveGo session with @CParrish43 Thanks Chris - this is money. While I still have so much to work on - my set last night (even with my fin left alone @horton) was the smoothest all year - and I venture to say probably my cleanest 32’ off @34mph ever.

@killer - this season has been a lot of learning on the gates. Still lots of improvements to be made.

A shout out to @GiveGo for the awesome coaching I have received: Cole G, Freddy W, Trent F and Chris P. Their feedback has been spot on and ALL has contributed to improvements.

• Baller

@Lieutenant Dan - yes I have watched and studied the Denali Gate quite a bit and listen to Spraymakers all the time. I’m piecing things together and it is getting better little by little. Had massive gains from the slower standup on the gate, it now I need to turn in better. Always something to work on.

Another reason for the pull in after the odd buoys is due to the direction I am taking into the buoy (too direct and not taking the high line) - working on that this week. My 32’s have been more consistent so working on making them even better.