Tips for 36 -22 ?

JayShower

Any tips for running 36 22 off? I’m stuck at 2-3 balls, and I feel like it’s something with my gate setup, but I’m not sure.

I can run 36 -15 most of the time in decent conditions, and 34 -22 probably slightly less consistently.

Here is a video of a 36 -15 pass then 36 -22 (where I got 3 buoys):

• Baller
I hated 22--used to open at 34/28 off and then bump to 36 mph 28 off then down the line just to not have to ski it. At least at 36 the bump isn't too bad if you do ski it. I also wanted to be learning shorter rhythm and wanted to get rid of the 22 permanently. Haven't seen it in a very long time.

• Baller

Stand taller, then get taller. Somehow have to get you out of the squat and backfoot turns and into a tall stance on your front foot. Push your glutes, hips core out to apex, turn and then do it the other way.

It does start with the gate, how you stand in the whitewater and pullout, then glide and turn in. All one movement with your hips over your front foot. Currently your weight is back and you turn in with the back foot. Weight should be 90% front foot!

Stance is what you want to work on. Feel how the ski reacts when you gave 90% weight on the front foot and keep pushing the hips out to the aoex. You'll run many more passes if you can get your stance on the ski taller and then taller even more.

Love your videographer, great boat crew! F&$k that pass up @JayShower lol

• Baller

@JayShower I know Belleville Lake when I see it :)

I agree that 15/36 sucks. I worked on 22/34 a bit this summer and could quickly ski 22/36 easier than 15/36. 15 is just so much rope to wrangle at that speed… I don’t want to say it’s a waste of time, but once you figure out the slightly different feel of 22, I think you’ll nail it.

The longer I wait for the turn to finish and to load the line, the better. 36 pulls you down course fast if you start working before the ski is pointed in the right direction. It looks to me like on 1/3/5 you’re working before the ski has come around, and riding the tail of the ski into and through the turn.

I am also RFF and it really helps me to be a bit more proud chest and open to the boat into 1/3/5. Roll your ankles to get your knees and hips (weight) forward, keep your shoulders back a bit, let the ski cast out and turn. Stand tall, as Killer said.

Givego is a good tool for top level coaching coaching without a ski school trip, and if you can make it to Lyon Ski Club for Novice Night this Tuesday, two coached sets for $45 is hard to beat.

• Baller_

Push your hips and front knee forward. You are locking your front leg, which causes you to drop your hips back. This causes you to loose your "stack" and leverage against the boat. As the rope gets shorter, you need to be more efficient - meaning use your body's leverage to generate angle and speed opposed to the brute strength you can get away with at easier passes.

Get some zoomed in, in focus video and this should pop out at you.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
In addition to what others have shared, at -22 you are drifting in a long ways before you really start pulling on your gate shot. You start nice and high on the boat but then lose all the width you originally had. You should be stacked and leveraged against the boat well before the white wash. You do this pretty well at -15.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.