How to buff out oxidation between and inside the small raised letters on the stern ?

swbca

• Baller_

My 2004 ProStar lived its entire life under a boat lift cover with with its rear end facing the sun. The Gel Coat is oxidized there and rest of the boat looks like new. Needs buffing but how ? Are there buffing tools for a Dremel tool to buff inside those small spaces ? or what have you figured out ?

• Baller

If you go with flat vinyl instead of raised letters you can buff right over the vinyl. Eventually the vinyl will start to lose its color and you can use a 3M eraser wheel to remove it and replace. But then you can compound and buff right over the vinyl and keep it looking nice for years.

• Baller

You can buy small Dremel buffing wheels and compound for your Dremel tool. Make sure your Dremel has variable speed control and use a slower speed. A single speed tool spins too fast and will burn your finish. I buff between letters on my Nautique and it works very well. Just be patient.

• Baller

Protect your letters with 3m 471 vinyl tape, carefully cut the external profile with an exacto pointing toward the side of the letters, not the hull. ->Took me more than one day for 3 large Malibu stickers.

Wet sand in between letters and use your small rotary buffer or a large one at an angle with light pressure to avoid heating the tape too much. For my project, the tape lasted for 4 wet sanding and 3 compound/polishing steps.